Arms PvP Guide - Info and Tactics (4.3)

Warrior
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
This guide was really helpful, just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a guide. It's hard to find helpful and thorough advice.

Sticky and Like!
anyone know of an addon if there is any to track imp ham?

"Tellmewhen" can track all buffs, debuffs, and cooldowns.
@Squirrelnut
Fantastic guide, amazing duel strategies, but I also have a question for you. Do you know if there is an addon that tracks when Imp Hamstring will go up again(when the 30s CD is over). Or can Tellmewhen do that as well?

Tellmewhen should be able to do what you are looking for with the following:
SpellID: 23694
Icon type: Internal cooldown/ Spell duration
show timer: checked
show timer number: checked
triggered by: buff/debuff
show icon when: always

I suppose that is a section I could include, useful addons. The problem with that is it varies so much from person to person and frequently there are multiple different addons that can accomplish the same goal.
ty man i love you none gay way
Let me know what people think as to whether I should include a section on Addons or not.
I think addons would be a good idea because right now Poweraura's isn't cutting it.

Also awesome guide!
06/07/2011 10:00 AMPosted by Moveover
hey squirrel i read your guide here but still wondering why you didnt put points in DoW and put em in blitz and rude interuption?

Rude interruption helps at high rated because you'll know if they fake casted or if you actually interrupted the cast.
Wouldn't you notice if they fake cast and your interrupt failed simply from them casting again without a lockout period? Not really sure how Rude Interruption has anything to do with that.

I like to take 1 point in it simply because it seems better then the alternatives and a bonus damage increase is always nice to have.
Some people still keep it from before when pummel had a delay early in the season.

Edit: It probably helps people with bad latency.
Sticky and like. Just a great guide, thx for posting. I learned some stuff I didn't know.
Glad people's responses have generally been positive thus far, I see a TON of threads all asking for basic PvP info and I didn't see any Arms PvP stickies.

EDIT: Is it sad that I see 4 sticky PvE threads (Prot, Arms, TG Fury, SMF) but not one single PvP one? lol
Great guide man. Curious as to why you are fury and protection though :P
06/08/2011 01:33 PMPosted by Jeremydav
Great guide man. Curious as to why you are fury and protection though :P

Very easy answer to that: I care about min/maxing too much lawl

Basically I am a main-spec PvE Fury Warrior (currently SMF due to weapons available to me) but I was also a MT for the last 2-3 years so I frequently tank for my guild on multi-tank fights such as Halfus, Chimaeron, Nef, etc so I maintain a Prot gearset and spec to switch between mid-raid.

As soon as our Thursday raid night ends however, I re-spec/re-glyph/re-keybind to my full Arms PvP setup for my weekend pvparenawtfbbq and replace my PvE Fury setup.

All the changes back and forth is fairly costly but considering I don't use gold for anything else I don't particularly care and I want to min/max as much as possible for any role that I fill. My guild has had attendance issues and is suffering on Heroic progression but at least it lets me grab a few WoL Rank #1's doing Fury PvE and my 3's team will hopefully pass 2400 this weekend in PvP if I can actually get them online at the same time.

TL;DR -- I bounce around a lot with re-specs each week for both PvP & PvE
Awesome guide! Very informative! Learned some new things, and remembered somethings I have forgotten.
Would appreciate any sticky requests if people think this topic is useful; would be nice to just point the various threads asking for Arms PvP info to "read the PvP sticky".

Some people would still make their own threads but I am sure a lot of questions would be answered without the need for new threads since Stickies are much more visible to people quickly browsing the forum.

Glad people are finding it helpful, be sure to include any additional questions or suggestions for things that should be included in the OP and I will edit them in.
`
how much haste do u need or do u not need it
for equiping one hander and shield is there a faster way than just doing equip slot 17 and 16?
@ Ameathe: Haste is the worst stat for Arms PvP Warriors, we don't care about it at all other then taking the time to reforge out of it into something else

@ Moveover: You can either use a macro with "/equipslot 16 yourweapon" or you can use a macro with "/equipset yoursetname" that has the weapons you want equipped in it. Either way works fine.
Hey I have a question:
I've been trying out the talent tree, and I've been having trouble proc'ing wrecking crew on dummies. The times it's been activated by a critical strike from Mortal Strike has been very little. My crit isn't that high (7%) and I'm planning on getting the resilience trinket to swap with my crit trinket for more resilience, so that will bump it down even further (to about 5% I suspect).

So my question is, since MY crit is low, would it just be better to move those talents to DoW or perhaps stance mastery? I can constantly rely on DoW or SM but I cannot ever rely on Wrecking Crew to proc.

I'm not de-evaluating crit, I'm just saying that since my crit is so low, my points can be better spent elsewhere to a more reliable talent. As of now I'm having a lot of trouble getting my crit as high as I can. It'll probably improve as I get better gear, but for now I want to focus on getting my resilience up. Any advice would be helpful.

Also, I was practicing the macros and they're really helpful. Just wanted to thank you for the guide again lol. Just as an FYI, I was experimenting and I created my own macro that combines the use of Deadly Calm with Inner rage. I figured that the speed bonus to HS from Inner Rage is only useful when you have lots of rage, and you don't generate that much rage from regular strikes. So popping up both is probably something to add, what do you think?
06/09/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Bodybaggins
So my question is, since MY crit is low, would it just be better to move those talents to DoW or perhaps stance mastery? I can constantly rely on DoW or SM but I cannot ever rely on Wrecking Crew to proc.

I find both DoW and Tactical Mastery to be very mediocre talents from an Arms PvP perspective. DoW isn't terrible but reduced rage cost on a few abilities just isn't as important as 10% damage increase even if the proc rate isn't that great. If you aren't spamming Heroic Strike when you shouldn't be then rage generation as Arms is decent especially with Charge, Deadly Calm and Bladestorm so DoW just doesn't seem as good to me (keeping in mind the changes to the ability from Wrath days making it much less useful since 4.0.1). As for Tactical Mastery Bliz is clearly taking stance dancing out of the equation with loss of intercept, spell reflect nerf & upcoming recklessness not requiring zerg stance.

06/09/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Bodybaggins
Also, I was practicing the macros and they're really helpful. Just wanted to thank you for the guide again lol. Just as an FYI, I was experimenting and I created my own macro that combines the use of Deadly Calm with Inner rage. I figured that the speed bonus to HS from Inner Rage is only useful when you have lots of rage, and you don't generate that much rage from regular strikes. So popping up both is probably something to add, what do you think?

Deadly Calm can not be used at the same time as Inner Rage, I forget when that was implemented but it has been that way for a while now; your macro is pointless =)
Deadly Calm Tooltip
2 min cooldown
For the next 10 sec, none of your abilities cost rage, but you continue to generate rage. Cannot be used during Inner Rage.