Warlock Tanking

Warlock
Okay, so today I was thinking... how could a clothie tank class be created. The only thing that made sense to me was to modify the warlock demonology tree so that it is somewhat similar to the druid feral tree (in which it could be a damage spec or a tank spec). In doing this, a talent could be made so that your demon form is everlasting, your moves pull more threat, and you gain an extra percent of Stamina and armor (could be two separate talents). but you do a certain percentage less of damage. (So that the spec is not too overpowered in damage). Also, a talent could be added so that all the threat your pet pulls is directed towards the warlock. I thought through this pretty well, but obviously some more things would need to be added. I personally think this is a great idea and would spark interest in many players and I would love to see this go into action. Any feedback given is appreciated, thanks.
I think back in vanilla, warlocks tanked on bosses that used shadow magic, or so i've heard.
I hope it sparks a lot of interest in players. I know some people will hate the idea but I'm hoping more will love it than hate it.
At the least, it'll throw more tanks into dungeon finder and speed up q times!
why so many lock obsessed with the idea of having a tanking spec? is not gona help the increase of tankers on the game and i wouldnt trust blizzard trying to build a tank spec out of it , they are by far the worst programers i haver seen in any MMO, they either screw up every tank trying to balance out a caster tank or just screw up the lock spec, either way is a bad idea.
I remember tanking trash in heroics in Wrath when our main tank went afk for some reason by popping Demon Form and then using stuff like Challenging Howl and Immolation Aura and SoC to hold aggro with Demon Armour to make me easier to heal.

I enjoyed that a lot.

And @@%%, before I even started WoW locks could tank Illidan's demon-phase, and Leotheras' Demon-phase in SSC during BC. Along with Vek'lor in AQ in Vanilla.

In Wrath, Locks could also tank one of the Blood Princes in ICC (although I never actually did that, the tanking).

Am I opposed to the idea of Locks getting a tanking spec? Yes.

Over time, our specs have already been mishmashed and "re-imagined" (particularly demo) various times, doing it again will probably just anger more people than it will please.

Am I opposed to the idea of having encounters where it is advantageous to have a ranged class (specifically a lock) be a tank due to fight mechanics? No, I'd like this, but this will probably not happen ever again due to locks no longer having any significant advantage when it comes to damage mitigation (barring Meta, almost anything else we can do can also be done by another ranged class, except possibly the +Healing from demon armour also).

Also, this idea has been suggested SO many times before, it just isn't going to happen unless all of the developers get particularly off their tits every night for a whole fortnight.
06/05/2011 01:17 PMPosted by Rookvalouri
I think back in vanilla, warlocks tanked on bosses that used shadow magic, or so i've heard.

We tank (or can tank) 1-2 encounters per expansion cycle. Off the top of my head:

Vanilla: Twin Emps
BC: HKM and Leothoras
WotLK: Mimiron and Blood Council
Perhaps this time they'll give us a boss with a demon-add that we can enslave, and if we enslave it, we get a -damage buff that makes us either a more advantageous tank to use, or the only feasible tank for the encounter (it which case it would also need to include a +threat or a massive +damage component too).

Again though, probably wont happen, and if it does we'll still be interchangeable with other Rdps. (They could make it a magic-wand enslave like Razuvious).
The only ways I can see warlock being tanks is if they finally incorporate the demon fousion idea that has always popped up every now and then, where a warlock fuses with their demon, and gains abilities pertaining to their demon. Then if the warlock fuses with the VW, they will gain enough bonuses and tanking abilities to be actual tanks.

Chances are it would be limited to the demo spec only, but if they did do it, by fusing with the VW, warlock would get:

Enough armor/damage reduction to match other tanks
An avoidance system good enough to tank with(or just keep the super healing from demon armor)
Meta and demon empowerment would both become tanking CDs
Warlock spells under the effect of the VW fusion would have increased threat
Sacrifice would be a CD usable on self(sacrifice say 10K health for a 20K bubble) or on others
Consume shadows probably won't exist anymore before/if this goes through
Many spells will be changed as to better fit tanking, such as hellfire may work more like thunderclap, etc
Locks will have a system similar to paladins to regain mana, or they will rely on life tap(and thus heals) to generate more mana for more threat.

Basically though, the main problem that ideas of Demon fusion run into, is: Why? Obviously blizz won't make it better DPS or else we will go back to the BC days. They can't make it the best for PVP or you won't see demons in PVP. The best they can make it is a niche or playstyle choice. I honestly would love to be an aff lock and merge with my felhunter, but that probably will never happen.

Basically, if they implemented this idea, they would have to make it so that it was so weak that most people wouldn't use it for PVP or PVE, or we would stop using pets most of the time.

There is a third road however, where this replaces demon soul, and is a temporary(except for the VW one) DPS boost but also adds a little utility.
In Vanilla warlocks were generally the caster tank for the twins fight in aq 40, they also were especially good tanks for leo (SSC) in BC
Can you imagine the balancing issues?

It's not as if Blizzard are competent to balance classes now?

Patch Notes.
4.2.0: Warlocks can now tank!
4.2.1: Warlocks threat was too high, so we nerfed all their damage by 20%
06/05/2011 01:37 PMPosted by Drakentt
why so many lock obsessed with the idea of having a tanking spec? is not gona help the increase of tankers on the game and i wouldnt trust blizzard trying to build a tank spec out of it , they are by far the worst programers i haver seen in any MMO, they either screw up every tank trying to balance out a caster tank or just screw up the lock spec, either way is a bad idea.

Because using a 2hand and having outrageous healing and defensive ability isn't like transforming into a demon with added armor.

But Blizz having worst programmers part is right.
That's it. I am getting myself a weapon to mercilessly beat every person who suggests demo tanking.

Hmm..how does dual flaming frying pans of doom sound?
06/05/2011 01:22 PMPosted by Pauladean
I hope it sparks a lot of interest in players. I know some people will hate the idea but I'm hoping more will love it than hate it.

06/05/2011 01:33 PMPosted by Nicuri
At the least, it'll throw more tanks into dungeon finder and speed up q times!

every warlock tanking thread, in 3 posts

We tank (or can tank) 1-2 encounters per expansion cycle. Off the top of my head:

Vanilla: Twin Emps
BC: HKM and Leothoras
WotLK: Mimiron and Blood Council

Cata: Rohash

That's it. I am getting myself a weapon to mercilessly beat every person who suggests demo tanking.

Hmm..how does dual flaming frying pans of doom sound?

Nope. won't work. because we demo tank in demon form. go get some warglaives from illidan (who meta is based of off) and then I'll join you. :-)
Don't listen to the detractors OP! I will always support making the Demo tree a tanking tree.
I would love to demo tank it would be epic but mostly I want to run around looking like an awesome demon without the form running out and have a cooldown cause cooldowns suck on something that makes u look cool
im really sorry to be coutner productive here, but why is it these threads are always "i was thinking .. such and such, and it occured to me that maybe demonology could be a tank spec!"

... let me assure you there is not a week that goes by without someone having this "unique and original" idea.

there have beeen a sect of locks and players asking for this fo ra long time, and equally there is a sect that absolutely does not want that change to take place.

BUT ... unfortunately, your idea is not new, its not original, and it has been hashed out multiple times in this forum.

look through some of the pages, theres tons ... most with the exact same details of "how" that you posted.

.... i only post this because i liek new content.

a merry go round of ideas is not fresh, not exciting, and nto productive to our gaming experience.

also i have too mcuh time on my hands right now to even take the 3 moinutes that it took to post this.
You'd have to have a melee tank; an idea I had was to make a "form" (as mentioned) that converts all of your ranged attacks to melee swings; for instance, "shadow bolt" becomes "shadow cleave;" and "incinerate" becomes "fire cleave" etc.