World IPv6 Day

Technical Support
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
As a Mac user I'd like to confirm that there seems to be something broken with your IPv6 detection. Getting IPv6 support to go required me to add both of the following to my Config.wtf

SET unlockIPv6 "1"
SET useIPv6 "1"

After adding both, IPv6 works (as confirmed by watching my IPv6 traffic and by hovering over the computer on the tool bar).

How soon do you expect to expand the realms with IPv6 support? None of the realms with support today are ones I frequently play on....
here is my info hope i got it right

IPv6 address 2001
not sure if you want the link local IPv6 adress as well but here is the first 4 digits of it as well fe80
My trace:

Tracing route to ipv6.blizzard.com [2001:1890:e000:c01:dad3:85ff:fed9:ce24]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms 2 ms 2 ms -
2 10 ms 10 ms 10 ms -
3 13 ms 17 ms 10 ms gige-g4-12.core1.lax1.he.net [2001:470:0:14e::1]
4 19 ms 21 ms 13 ms 10gigabitethernet1-3.core1.lax2.he.net [2001:470:0:72::2]
5 13 ms 13 ms 17 ms 2001:470:0:1e6::2
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * * Request timed out.
8 97 ms 25 ms 22 ms 2001:1890:e000:80a::1005:d002
9 28 ms 23 ms 28 ms 2001:506:2001:601::1111:f99a
10 22 ms 22 ms 29 ms 2001:1890:e000:80a::1005:d002
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.
15 * * * Request timed out.
Quick follow up - adding

SET enableIPv6 "1"
SET useIPv6 "1"

to the config file has enabled the protocol to work correctly.

When I checked the 'Enable IPv6' box in game, the UseIPv6 cvar appeared in my config file...
Toetag - Windows or OSX? It seems a large number of us are encountering a problem with the OSX IPv6 detection failing, meaning that those variables aren't automatically getting set.

Teloraelin ,

The file you edit is your config.wtf file. We routinely have people make changes to that file while troubleshooting. It isn't a game file, it's just a text file holding settings. You won't have any policy issues editing it.

Thanks for the kind response. =) Yeah, I wasn't sure regarding that file, but it is nice to know I can modify it. Now hopefully I can get IPv6 setup on my network in the next few days and test it out!

Have a great day and thanks again! =)
I play with this char via ipv6 working pretty well. Though world latency pretty high hoovering around 225-300ms but my home consistent 125ms.

HE tunnel ipv6 sicne ipv6 aint available in my area yet its playable still aint perfect better then nothing if want to play via ipv6.

I get about 85ms via ipv6 when ping ipv6.google.com
but can't ping ipv6.blizzard.com odd

You can't ping ipv6.blizzard.com because Blizzard are firewalling ICMP6 packets. I hope Blizzard realise this and don't block ICMP6 packets to their realms as this will harm IPv6 more than help it as IPv6 relies a lot more on ICMP6 to configure itself (e.g. PMTUD).
My accord is a V6? Can I join in?
whats a Ipv6? is it some new overly priced apple himmy jim bob hu *!@!y that will be 50% less in 1 year?

You can't ping ipv6.blizzard.com because Blizzard are firewalling ICMP6 packets. I hope Blizzard realise this and don't block ICMP6 packets to their realms as this will harm IPv6 more than help it as IPv6 relies a lot more on ICMP6 to configure itself (e.g. PMTUD).

Figured they firewalled ipv6.blizzard.com but you are right about realms and ipv6 icmp6 :D. Yea but they probably will firewall and set acls in routers so out icmp6 from outside networks can't come in but they icmp6 internally and between data center realms
As long as they don't block ICMP-Fragmentation-Needed, IPv6 should be fine.
RE: ICMP Echo Request/Replies

I really still do not understand why anyone blocks these. Quick host discovery? If you sufficiently space out your IPv6 address space properly host discovery is really a non-issue with the /64 address space.

Even so, you can assume that since these *are* the WoW realms they're already available on the internet to anyone who wants them (wowpedia?), and so it's kinda pointless to block echos.

At any rate, I still believe Blizzard should rethink this strategy because it does nothing to "stop" hacking and does everything to prevent legitimate people from knowing their latency to the realms.....then again, perhaps the latter reason is a part of why they block it?
RE: ICMP Echo Request/Replies
Even so, you can assume that since these *are* the WoW realms they're already available on the internet to anyone who wants them (wowpedia?), and so it's kinda pointless to block echos.

The blocking of Echo Requests/Replies is more to do with revealing the inner workings of the network that the Realms participate in (traceroute) , rather than determining if there is something at a given IP (It's a Blizzard World of Warcraft Realm, it's port numbers, IP and protocol are not a secret)
06/06/2011 04:12 PMPosted by Santaclauss
With IPv6 some of the problems we were seeing with 32bit program clients that fed from the net were memory crashes when using 64bit Windows OS products. Have you already deployed or modified your client to use more than 3.1gb of memory when in IPv6 mode?

Uhm, WoW barely even touches the 1 GB mark on Win32 (that's without the half gig textures sitting in the graphics RAM). Whether you run on Win32 or Win64, 32 bit programs will still not be allowed to allocate more than 2 GB of system memory without some serious tweaking of the registry, and even then you can only grant 1 GB more, making the limit 3 GB.

Adding another octet to the IP system shouldn't cause significant changes in the memory use. Think what you had was a memory leak, rather than related to the IPv6.
06/06/2011 07:32 PMPosted by Bumack
Stupid question but how do we know if we can use Ipv6?

If you’d like to know how to get started, or would like more information on what it’s all about, check out our IPv6 page: http://ipv6.blizzard.com/ and FAQ: http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&tag=ipv6day

I believe all your answers are on these pages.

Not really. I installed the IPv6 protocol, installed it in netsh. I still have no idea if anything beyond my nic supports IPv6.
06/13/2011 01:45 AMPosted by Cattyana
Adding another octet to the IP system shouldn't cause significant changes in the memory use. Think what you had was a memory leak, rather than related to the IPv6.

Not to mention the socket memory allocation is done by the OS, not applications.

As an aside, there was a memory issue with 3.3.5 which cause a lot of people issues that they normally didn't have. That was mostly fixed in 3.3.5a.
06/13/2011 01:58 AMPosted by Cattyana
Not really. I installed the IPv6 protocol, installed it in netsh. I still have no idea if anything beyond my nic supports IPv6.

What does ipconfig say in terms of IPv6 address prefixes? 2001:? fe80:? It is normal to see multiple IPv6 addresses per NIC.

Your NIC has no idea what IP addresses are anyway.