Suggestion / Plea: Bid on your own auctions

General Discussion
Hi Blizzard,

I don't see a suggestions forum anymore, nor do I see any forum in the forums menu where a suggestion would logically fit. If "General Discussion" is not the right place for this, please move appropriately.

So, I've been playing since day 1 release, 2004. I've seen the game change; daily, monthly, and yearly. Some things have not changed in that time, and for good reason. Some features or restrictions, however, have been removed or reformed. What worked in Vanilla doesn't always make sense 7 years later.

One restriction I'd very much like to see removed is the inability to bid on one's own auction. I never understood why this was in the game, unless it was simply a "courtesy" safeguard to prevent players wasting money by accidentally buying their own items. This seems completely pointless now, especially since we can have characters on Horde and Alliance on the same server.

Let's look at a few examples:

-- Situation 1: Same faction laziness
I have a low level alt and I'm training professions. I just to need spider's silk, so I go to the AH. The lowest price happens to be my own product, which I've listed on another character on my account. I can't bid on this item. Instead, I have to log out, log in, cancel the auction, get the mail, and mail the item to my alt. A much simpler solution would have been to just buy the item from myself, pay the 5% AH fee, and be done with it.

-- Situation 2: Cross faction transferring
I have 80+ characters on both horde and alliance on my server. I play them all, regularly. Sometimes, items are drastically cheaper on horde, or on alliance. Sometimes, items are simply unavailable on one side or the other. I can transfer the items through the neutral AH, but to do so, I need to have a friend online who is willing to meet me at the neutral AH. Or, if I don't have a ton of people I can trust who play all day long, if I need to transfer something, I have to pay a stranger to help me, and hope they don't screw it up. A much simpler solution would be to allow me to buy my own auctions, and pay the 15% neutral AH fee.

Alternately, some form of cross-faction mailing would also be helpful, such as an account-bound Gift-Wrap or Box or simply the ability to send mail cross-faction. However, being able to bid on your own auctions would be a much simpler fix, and as far as I can tell, I really don't see any reason why this is in the game to begin with.

Thanks
Being able to bid on your own auctions would quickly devolve into some people using it to pollute the data and drive up prices.
06/09/2011 07:38 AMPosted by Sysgoddess
Being able to bid on your own auctions would quickly devolve into some people using it to pollute the data and drive up prices.

This makes no sense whatsoever. How does buying your own auction drive up prices? Even bidding on your own auction doesn't drive up pricing. Either someone's going to bid on your overpriced auction, or they aren't. They sure aren't going to bid on it after you click "buyout".
LOL .. If you could bid on your own items you could bid the price way up .....
People still bid on items?
1)Post up item with no buyout.

2)See that someone has made a bid that you are unsatisfied with.

3)Make an alt and outbid him on the item.

4)The buyer will see that he is outbid and will bid higher.

You just deceived your customer.
It's called "Shill" bidding. It is illegal (fraud) IRL, and would suck enormously in game.

See the post above mine for why it would suck.
Bidding on your own auction really doesn't change the value of it, even in the terms of Wowhead and other tracking sites. Every time you bought an auction to inflate the average price, your competing against tens of thousands of previous purchases. So even if you did buy that Deviate Delight recipe for 100,000 gold, and even if you are running the wowhead client with the sole purpose of inflating the price on that website, because you think (foolishly) that it will have any reasonable impact on the price people are willing to pay for your item, the price shown on Wowhead only goes up 4 silver as a result of your 100,000 gold purchase, which you just paid 5% on, since Wowhead already shows 3,210,000 previous purchases for that recipe. You just dumped 5000 gold to inflate a website statistic by less than 1%.

Even if bidding on your own auctions really did have any substantial potential exploitive potential (which any first year economics student would tell you is plain silly), Then allow buyouts on your own auctions even if bidding is not possible.
06/09/2011 07:48 AMPosted by Ullisha

This makes no sense whatsoever. How does buying your own auction drive up prices? Even bidding on your own auction doesn't drive up pricing. Either someone's going to bid on your overpriced auction, or they aren't. They sure aren't going to bid on it after you click "buyout".

It does make sense. You just have to use some common sense. Let me give you an example.

I have Vial of the Sands on the AH for 15,000 gold bid price, 20k buyout price. (No I don't intend for those to be realistic numbers, they're just for the sake of an example. Bare with me.)

Person A bids for 16k. The auction is almost over, so I go on my alt and put a phony bid for 17k. Person A gets a notification saying he's been outbid, but he really wants that vial, so he puts an 18k bid up on there. I decide that's high enough, so I let the auction end and collect the 18k. I've just weaseled an extra 2k out of that guy using this exploit. Is that fair? No.

That's why you can't do it.

He still is willing to pay that 18k, or he wouldn't have bid. Potentially, you just screwed yourself out of 16k AND 5% of 17k (850g) AND the AH listing fee. If 16k was too low, that's your own dumb fault, and then next time, you'll put it up with a higher minimum. Common sense goes all directions.
check the post above yours hyper .. it makes perfect sense ... you are cheating the system to get more money out of somone becuase you are "jackin the bid price up"
Bidding on your own seems moronic.
06/09/2011 07:43 AMPosted by Iliyana
People still bid on items?
Why should bliz make it legal to do, in game, what is illegal to do in any real auction house in the world?

It does make sense. You just have to use some common sense. Let me give you an example.

I have Vial of the Sands on the AH for 15,000 gold bid price, 20k buyout price. (No I don't intend for those to be realistic numbers, they're just for the sake of an example. Bare with me.)

Person A bids for 16k. The auction is almost over, so I go on my alt and put a phony bid for 17k. Person A gets a notification saying he's been outbid, but he really wants that vial, so he puts an 18k bid up on there. I decide that's high enough, so I let the auction end and collect the 18k. I've just weaseled an extra 2k out of that guy using this exploit. Is that fair? No.

That's why you can't do it.

He still is willing to pay that 18k, or he wouldn't have bid. Potentially, you just screwed yourself out of 16k AND 5% of 17k (850g) AND the AH listing fee. If 16k was too low, that's your own dumb fault, and then next time, you'll put it up with a higher minimum. Common sense goes all directions.

That's not common sense, that's fraud.