Suggestion / Plea: Bid on your own auctions

General Discussion
If you wanna commit crimes in the game world, stick to murder.
06/09/2011 08:06 AMPosted by Manzarrek

Murder only applies to your own species. Hunting is legal as long as the species you're killing isn't endangered or protected.
So, I've been playing since day 1 release, 2004.

Stopped reading there. I don't know why, but people that have been playing since release tend to have bad ideas.
06/09/2011 08:04 AMPosted by Angelatore
The data that gives the average is not based on every purchase for the entire duration of the item's existence. It's based on the weekly data-mined prices. Yes, it's easy. Yes, I've done it. Yes, it works.

If that were the case, then pricing models wouldn't have IMMEDIATELY bottomed out on rare items/patterns when Wowhead reset its data at the close of its sister site, Allakhazam. Pricing for items which have been consistently in the several thousands for years, were dropped to hundreds at that time, and have been slowly rising. If your claim was accurate, the pricing would be much spikier on rare items/patterns, due to low traffic, and the pricing reset would have had irregular effects across the board; not a consistent and substantial drop followed by steady moderate inflation.

If you're going to make up data to support your claim, at least do some research so it sounds plausible.
The data that gives the average is not based on every purchase for the entire duration of the item's existence. It's based on the weekly data-mined prices. Yes, it's easy. Yes, I've done it. Yes, it works.

If that were the case, then pricing models wouldn't have IMMEDIATELY bottomed out on rare items/patterns when Wowhead reset its data at the close of its sister site, Allakhazam. Pricing for items which have been consistently in the several thousands for years, were dropped to hundreds at that time, and have been slowly rising. If your claim was accurate, the pricing would be much spikier on rare items/patterns, due to low traffic, and the pricing reset would have had irregular effects across the board; not a consistent and substantial drop followed by steady moderate inflation.

If you're going to make up data to support your claim, at least do some research so it sounds plausible.

The price fluctuations of a few select items do not reflect the behavior of the market overall. His statement is more than just plausible, it's dead on accurate. It is YOU that are skewing the data to try to make an inaccurate point, and sounding pedantic and nit-picky in the process.

Read Angelatore's last post for clarification.
06/09/2011 08:19 AMPosted by Angelatore
Alakhazam

LOL

06/09/2011 08:11 AMPosted by Hyperbole

I have been the market maker in enchanting mats for about 3 years. I know how it works buttercup.

And here's some data for you, that is data-mined weekly: http://www.wowecon.com/?l=eJxlTksOwiAQvcucALBqO2y8CRlbopPU0gC1C8PdBUyTNr7l%2BxMq%2FAS8IhjqI7sJdEB5RljdajjalxlsJB4r3SHcMv4kwlMpkXIX4wE056bmolrRlLRACMt9P5P9s%2Bfemv5JPm7LZeJA0%2B%2BjVAiVMW7eKrLd0%2FSwNdsedfOmcbHlRSd0SukLJEhNCw%3D%3D

You think the swings in prices there are violent? Just wait.

And furthermore, if your genius little idea went through here is what I would do.

Start 2,000 auctions for hypnotic dust x1 for buyout 100g. I would immediately buy those auctions out on my bank alt. I would repeat this process for the rest of the day. By the time I was done, I would have roughly 50,000 hypnotic dust x1 auctions at 100g that I would upload to the WoWecon server through my subscription.

Buy out the 100-200 auctions for Hypnotic Dust that are generally in the AH. Continue to do this for the rest of the week. Continue doing this while placing auctions for 100g a piece.

Wait for people to follow suit and, eventually, youll be sitting at hypnotic dust x1 for about 30-50g. It would take about 1-2 weeks to get the model going.

It would cost about 50,000k to crash the Hypnotic Dust market, not including any profits made along the way. Why would I or anyone do this?... because your stupid idea would make it REALLY fun.

There's nothing stopping you from doing this now. It only takes a 2nd account, or just skip the part where you buy your own auctions, because the pricing model on a website doesn't drive in-game pricing on high volume goods like dust. I find it really really hillarious that you guys are so emphatically arguing such an inane concept. If it's really that much fun to you to waste 50,000 gold to drive up the market price on dust, go for it. Some of your dust WILL sell at 100g each, either by people who accidentally click, or by people who happen to need the dust in the small interim periods before someone undercuts your ridiculous auctions. In the long run, you're the idiot for trying to skew the market this way. Yes, it works in some situations, but in the vast majority, you will lose. It's really no different than gambling. Play the odds, let me know how it turns out.
Hnm, I am failing to take the OP seriously, with her name being "Hyperbole".
There's nothing stopping you from doing this now. It only takes a 2nd account

Seems like that's stopping a lot of people. Most don't have a second account.
06/09/2011 08:08 AMPosted by Ehcks

Murder only applies to your own species. Hunting is legal as long as the species you're killing isn't endangered or protected.

Even allowin' those restrictions, we're both guilty as Hell.
I do admit I have sometimes buyout some items on the AH and they were mine!!!! lol
That feature was changed in 3.9.

I have to log out, log in, cancel the auction, get the mail, and mail the item to my alt.

Because that is ever so hard...when the item comes to YOUR mail and there is a MAILBOX right outside the AH..instead you would rather go to the AH look up an item and then look to make sure you're clicking the correct one you are selling..
Hi Blizzard,

-- Situation 2: Cross faction transferring
I have 80+ characters on both horde and alliance on my server. I play them all, regularly. Sometimes, items are drastically cheaper on horde, or on alliance. Sometimes, items are simply unavailable on one side or the other. I can transfer the items through the neutral AH, but to do so, I need to have a friend online who is willing to meet me at the neutral AH. Or, if I don't have a ton of people I can trust who play all day long, if I need to transfer something, I have to pay a stranger to help me, and hope they don't screw it up. A much simpler solution would be to allow me to buy my own auctions, and pay the 15% neutral AH fee.

If you have 80+ toons on one realm that means you have at least 8 WoW accounts. Just use one WoW account to post an auction and a different one to buy.

Buy another account to purchase your own auctions, or ask a friend to do it. You don't need to be bidding on your own stuff.

You WOULD be ruining the economy by being able to bid on your own auctions. An example would be that if true gold was going for 500g on the horde, but only 250g on the alliance, you could easily buy out the gold on the alliance to then turn around and sell it on the horde to make more gold.
Now wait, before you go on to say "It's not ruining it blah blah blah, I earned the gold". You would be raising the prices of some items, and making some items worthless. There would be massive inflation and people may not be able to pay for those items because they do not have a toon on both factions. This would then make many people upset ruining their game play, which blizzard does not want.