Ways to increase my FPS in WoW

Games, Gaming and Hardware
Alright guys I have a question for you. I am not as hardware savy as I'd like to be, but i do know a fair bit, but I dont have a bad rig atm, but definately not a great one, and im having to play on fair video settings, to get 50+ fps. It also fluctuates ALOT it can be at 30 one minute in a match, then 70 back down to 30 in a flash.

Here are my specs:
Operating System: XP (I know, its old, and harming my Processor, but havent gotten around to upgrading to win 7)

CPU : AMD Athlon(tm) 2x4 620 processor

CPU speed: 2599.80 MHz

Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTS 450 (1024MB)

3.25 GB of RAM

Hard Drive : 250gb 130gb free

I know I have a total crap old hard drive, and im using XP on a quad core processor, which limits it from running all 4, but that shouldnt really limit what I can run in the game should it? I cant seem to figure out why I have to play on fair settings to be able to smoothly run the game from 50-100 FPS when my video card should be able to run it higher with no problem.

Any ideas on how I can improve my FPS, and run on higher settings?
WoW loves high-quality CPU. Athlon 2 is woefully outdated. Best bet is to replace your motherboard + CPU + RAM.
Alright guys I have a question for you. I am not as hardware savy as I'd like to be, but i do know a fair bit, but I dont have a bad rig atm, but definately not a great one, and im having to play on fair video settings, to get 50+ fps. It also fluctuates ALOT it can be at 30 one minute in a match, then 70 back down to 30 in a flash.

Here are my specs:
Operating System: XP (I know, its old, and harming my Processor, but havent gotten around to upgrading to win 7)

CPU : AMD Athlon(tm) 2x4 620 processor

CPU speed: 2599.80 MHz

Video Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTS 450 (1024MB)

3.25 GB of RAM

Hard Drive : 250gb 130gb free

I know I have a total crap old hard drive, and im using XP on a quad core processor, which limits it from running all 4, but that shouldnt really limit what I can run in the game should it? I cant seem to figure out why I have to play on fair settings to be able to smoothly run the game from 50-100 FPS when my video card should be able to run it higher with no problem.

Any ideas on how I can improve my FPS, and run on higher settings?

WoW for example is quite CPU dependent and so are most RTS's(Calculations are made using the CPU). Try turning down your settings in WoW like shadows.

Your CPU is holding that card, and your games, back. Online games use network traffic as well GPU power. Your CPU is having to handle all your network traffic as well as what ever the game needs. Most games won't use more than 2 cores. So even though you have 4 cores, they are very slow, leading to a bottleneck. You can try to overclock it. And if you are using stock cooling, forget it.

Depending on your PSU, that could also be holding you back. Amps are more important that watts when it comes to GPU's. If your PSU only have 550watt's max, it may not provide enough power it may be starving the GPU for power. Post your power supply make an model, please.
I've had experience with systems that are similar in specs. If you want to get by without spending a ton of cash...

Install Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. You won't be able to upgrade a XP installation to Win 7 so you need to backup any files you want to keep.

The second thing I would do is overclock that Athlon II x4 620 to 3.0ghz. The 620s overclock like a dream. It should easily hit 3.0ghz on stock cooling/voltages.

3.25 GB of RAM

If he upgrade to win 7 he will need 4+gigs . win XP is just fine for wow
I may end up having to fork out the cash, ive been putting it off due to college etc. But it is good to know what parts i have (i know its all fairly outdated) are the biggest issue.

When I get home today i'll post the PSU, it is only 550 if I recall.