Battle.net Authenticator Changes

Technical Support
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
Horrible idea.

Now all they need is a way to convince Blizzard they are logging in from my IP address.

Please allow an opt out of this system. I bought an authenticator for a reason.
My thoughts exactly.....
06/16/2011 02:30 PMPosted by Holychèt
This is good. I pay a small fortune (in these parts) for a static IP, so it would be nice to not have to use the thing all the time.

Indeed. This is a change that will improve the quality of life for quite a few WoW players. It's an excellent change, but as myself and a few others have asked, the option to opt out would be good. The community will likely have mixed opinions about it, but personally I think it's great. Making it optional would (or at least should) satisfy everybody.
06/16/2011 02:36 PMPosted by Arishaman
Now all they need is a way to convince Blizzard they are logging in from my IP address.

Please explain, in detail, how one would do this?
You do know already that authenticators can be hacked through?
06/16/2011 02:34 PMPosted by Pozadin
And if I have a child whom I share the account with, and use the authenticator to monitor their playtime?

Parental Controls

Sometimes I am not near a computer and can just give the authenticator code over the phone etc...

Please atleast give us the option to turn this on/off, and let us choose wether we want to take advantage of this option or not.
06/16/2011 02:31 PMPosted by Sgtpain
Please, no. I don't care if it "thinks" its me, could be my sister or my brother-in-law logging into my account. Then what?

...Don't give them your password and make sure your computer is locked down when you're not on it?
06/16/2011 02:36 PMPosted by Holybell
And if I have a child whom I share the account with, and use the authenticator to monitor their playtime?

Your really not supposed to be able to do that from what I hear, if they want to play they need their own account.

You are allowed to share with a minor child, (under the assumption its your kid).
06/16/2011 02:34 PMPosted by Nale

Blizzard terms of service state that you cant share a single account between multiple people
06/16/2011 02:35 PMPosted by Holybell
Wow didn't think it was that big of a deal, seemed like a quality of life improvement, specially for those that love to have internet issues... didn't know people would be against it.

Im sure alot will have a problem with this as it's a huge step backwards in security.
If my account gets hacked over this change, it wont be my fault.
Im paranoid on the internet when it comes to anything loading or being downloaded to my computer.
The security on my end is also as tight as it can posibly get with respect to current technology.
Out of curiosity, will it be possible to opt out of that? While I'm sure the developers will roll out software that is indeed quite "intelligent" and does the job well, I would like to have the option to always use my authenticator regardless of where I'm logging in from.

I concur, I personally don't find having to use it on each and every log on a problem.
I prefer the account security on this part over the convenience.
Kinda curious about this whole authenticator changes. While i dont mind that it may not always ask me for an authenticator code while logging onto in game - will it ALWAYS ask me for one when logging onto the web-page? If not, i would think it would be easy for someone to trick the system into making it think it was me using my IP address, access my account page, remove the authenticator then rob my account.

Opt out? (without the TSA gropedown?)
06/16/2011 02:38 PMPosted by Holybell
You do know already that authenticators can be hacked through?

Just because they can be, doesn't mean it's going to happen, That method to get through your authenticator isn't a common accurance. Don't spread that kind of crap.
06/16/2011 02:39 PMPosted by Zentetsuken

Blizzard terms of service state that you cant share a single account between multiple people

Learn the rules before you start quoting them thanks
06/16/2011 02:36 PMPosted by Holybell
Your really not supposed to be able to do that from what I hear, if they want to play they need their own account.

That's not entirely true. An adult is allowed to share their account with one minor child.

If my dad had an account, he could choose to share it with either me or my brother. Whoever didn't get to share it with him would have to get their own account. According to the rules, that is.

But honestly, if you're using an authenticator to monitor play time, use Parental Controls. It's much easier.
I would also like the ability to opt out. I want it to ask every time. I don't mind the minor inconvenience and don't want to lower my security level. I am just worried that this will give the hackers out there a new way to get into accounts that have authenticators on them.

I try to be as careful as I can while surfing and have up to date antivirus / antimalware software. I use Firefox with noscript, adblock, and flashblock. But I still know that day zero exploits could potentially compromise my systems so I like having the authenticator always there as another layer of security. I just wish I could protect my email with one also.
This is great for me but I could see how this would not be good for some people. I think for people who are worried about people in their own home accessing their account forget the first step to good account security is having a strong password that is not shared.

I guess I could see if you where using the authenticator as an excuse as to why you could not give the other person access by just telling them your password it would be an issue. Surprised you can't just turn this off like on most sites that have authenticators.
How does blizzard term your mainstay home? Mac address, IP Adderess, thinking about it yea I might have to recant my previous statement of eagerness. Can you, blizzard, assure us that even when not asked we are still as secure?

Though at another thought, if they already have your credentials, its been proved, and seen that they can hack past an authenticator, so if they have your information it may not be any different with our without this new system.
So I saw this on the breaking news while logging on, but I can't find a way to turn this off. I don't live alone and use the authenticator just as much for protection at home as from keyloggers and the like. So is there a way to make this not happen? I don't care if you track me or anything but I don't want to lose my extra security.
Please return it to it's former self. I feel VERY MUCH more safe having to punch it in each time I log in. I got the Authenticator because I was hacked once. This just makes it pointless to even have it now.