Battle.net Authenticator Changes (Cont. #2)

Technical Support
Prev 1 24 25 26 Next
Eh, kind of want it to go back to how it used to be, or at least have the option.
I'm going to explain everybody elses comments in a few words:
We feel unsafe with this, make it optional.
trolololol

seriously, the guy posted on a lv2 alt and you're taking him seriously?
I renamed the WoW.mfil file(the only file with todays date in my WoW folder) to add .txt to the end
no auth required

deleted the folder Battle.Net from the path C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment (Windows 7)
no auth required

I dumped prefetch and temp folders
still no auth required

i'm running out of changed files/folders here

logged on from my laptop
required auth

I would drive to McD's and test, but I don't want my acct associated with their IP if this gets addressed before my acct expires
06/17/2011 09:56 AMPosted by Eetmorchikin
And why was this announced after it was already in place? This is such poor customer support. Was it due to the numerous calls and emails from players thinking their authenticator was malfunctioning since it wasn't asking them for the code? Well, if that was the case, you haven't seen anything yet with this latest "security" change.

This is one thing we can probably all agree on.....they should of let us know in advance.

You think they would have learned better after "The Exalted" title fiasco.

They wont because Blizzard is infallible... to prove them wrong would cause upheaval, up would be down, left would be right, horde would be alliance, dogs and cats living together, Azeroth would become nothingness!!!
For quoting Ghostbusters at the end of your post there, I officially love you forever.
That makes two of us.
its based on your ip stop deleting files

also

REVERT THIS CHANGE IMMEDIATLY AND WORK OUT HOW TO MAKE IT OPTIONAL LATER OK?!?!?!?!?!? BY THE TIME U WORK OUT HOW TO DO IT PEOPLE WILL BE HACKED.
I renamed the WoW.mfil file(the only file with todays date in my WoW folder) to add .txt to the end
no auth required

deleted the folder Battle.Net from the path C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment (Windows 7)
no auth required

I dumped prefetch and temp folders
still no auth required

i'm running out of changed files/folders here

logged on from my laptop
required auth

I would drive to McD's and test, but I don't want my acct associated with their IP if this gets addressed before my acct expires

I already tried it on 4 computers at home and it required no authentication, even though i hadn't logged in for weeks on 2 of them.
This is fine with me as long as Blizz takes responsablility for anything that happens to an account WITH an authenticator attached to it
06/17/2011 09:40 AMPosted by Ellïpsis
if i was trolling I'd make fun of your arena rating or your lack of achievements...the adults are talking go back to playground.

If you were trolling you would use gratuitous insults like “the adults are talking go back to playground”.

You are trolling in most of your posts and it makes most people who read them discount any real information they may have contained.

If you post like a fifteen year old boy people will assume you are a fifteen year old boy and nothing you say will be taken seriously.

One window is the most hacked yes, but believe it or not its the most used, so the numbers go hand and hand, and yes some people do hack non windows pc's its just not common becuase you make up like 5% of the worlds comps.

Two if you swapping out your password regularly and use fancy ones, why in the world are you in this thread? For reals, you don't need this so why are you here? Does it make you feel better to boast, I changed my passwords biweekly before I got Authenticator it was so bad when I turned my account back on I couldn't remember which one I used last, and that was after I upgraded mind you. I now change mine bi-monthly, but after 2 years of using this and it being out for years prior its kind of crazy they waited till now to do this, most users been typing to passwords so long it feels more unpleasant to not do it.

Three Authenticator is for those who don't swap out annually, they paid the 5 dollar shipping (FYI shipping for it would cost less then that, used to work for a direct mailer) so they could feel secure, not giving us the option to opt out of this new downgrade lessens the feeling of security some got it for, hell I only care becuase I don't trust people, and I know a few who are good with hacking, lucky I don't live with them now, but I guaranty at least one of them could hack whatever OS your using if they were pist enough.

Since they ship stuff in bulk, they only spend about 45 cents on shipping each authenticator, 6 dollar profit x 10 million Authenticator (est.) = a cool 60 mil...

How much do you think they pay to have the authenticators made? I can tell you right now, they aren't free. The authenticators are made by another company. Feel free to look up the pricing on the Digipass Go 6. It ranges anywhere from 12 - 26 dollars for one. I seriously doubt they're making any sort of money off them by selling them at 6 bucks with shipping included.

That said, tossing in my 2 cents: I want an opt out option as well. I actually like putting in the number. It makes me feel more secure, i don't see any problem with that.

*Edit = they cost even more than I thought.
What is funny is that you are all worried about IP spoofing, remote access to your computer and all this other security stuff, but you are only concerned about your WoW account. None of you have even mentioned bank accounts, credit card numbers or anything that REAL hackers go for, not some China man who wants your gold.

Stop being ridiculous. Log in to your battle.net webpage, guess what you still need to enter your authenticator
well thats a relief for i was panicking when that box didn't show up for i thought that someone had messed with my account.
From what i see is it remembers your computer for a few hour or even just for a day. Get used to it. It is a nice change. I dont mind 1 authentication a day. As long as account management always requires one.
Those with the authenticator attached to their account DO have the option to remove it if it is too much of a hassle for them. Why should the rest of the people with them suffer? Let those lazy people remove it from their own accounts and take the risk, not the entire population of WoW users.

I really feel bad for those in dorm rooms, home with pesky brothers or sisters, or well anyone really that bought the authenticator to prevent others from logging into their account.
logged on from my laptop
required auth

I already tried it on 4 computers at home and it required no authentication, even though i hadn't logged in for weeks on 2 of them.

now the 2 of those are in conflict with my laptop requiring the auth
so, it is acting more and more like the dial up random auth that doesn't work

wtg Blizzard, we went from possibly hackable to as secure as an unlocked car in Brooklyn with a sign that says steal me

edit for spacing and cause i spell gud
06/17/2011 09:49 AMPosted by Yng
Since they ship stuff in bulk, they only spend about 45 cents on shipping each authenticator, 6 dollar profit x 10 million Authenticator (est.) = a cool 60 mil...

No, it isn’t given away free but it’s sold at cost.
No profit.
Yes, I also feel bad for people that use "password" for their password too. I hate having to type in my authenticator every time and I am loving this new change. No I am not lazy, if I get disconnected on Heroic Nefarion attempts "which happens" often and my ipod is almost dead or somewhere else it can cause a wipe if I get burning embers on a platform and don't move and blast everyone off of it. Just because the authenticator doesn't ask me to enter in codes doesn't mean it isn't there doing its job.

The oxygen you breathe isn't colored yet you still feel safe because you know it is there still serving its purpose. 6-8 numbers isn't going to keep your account from getting hacked if they really want your account.