Clarification: Dragonwrath, Tarecgosa's Rest

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
For the most part I have searched looking for any answers on the "proc" of this Legendary. And I am yet to see any Blue really tell how it works.

A Theory that has been said was that it will "COPY" a spell that you CAST. If by that, does Blizzard intend it to completely COPY or will it Mimic the last Damage done as a Proc.

(My Main spec is Shadow - Regardless what gear/spec I am in)

Example 1:
- Mind Spike does 10,000 damage to Halfus.
- Wrath of Tarecgosa hit Halfus for 10,000.

Question A: Will the damage be the same. OR work like in a Range, based on Spell power, INT, ETC.

Example 2:
- Protector Casts Vampiric Touch
- Vampiric Touch deal 2,000 damage to Halfus.

What would happen if the proc occured?

A) - Wrath of Tarecgosa was applied to Halfus. (Form of Vampiric Touch)
B) - Wrath of Tarecgosa hits Halfus for 2,000. (and then returns to a Internal Cooldown Timer)
C) - Wrath of Tarecgosa doesn't affect DoT's.

I am just curious, as much as the effect looks good, for classes that rely heavily on DoT's for most of their damage, Locks and SPriest. Is this going to even be worth going for. Or will it be more of a DD Legendary.

And also, as I think of it, How will Mind Flay work? (Strikes an idea, Dual Channeling Mind Flays! BEHOLD MY POWAH!)

Please keep this somewhat serious. 4.2 may just be next Tuesday (Just a guess).
I'm sorely hoping that it does affect DoTs. Considering I kind of have dibs on it from my guild, would suck if I got it and was all, "y u no work, staff?"
06/14/2011 10:25 AMPosted by Maleficious
I'm sorely hoping that it does affect DoTs. Considering I kind of have dibs on it from my guild, would suck if I got it and was all, "y u no work, staff?"

On the other hand, that would be hilarious.

To answer the OP: I don't know if there have been any clarifications, but from the wording I believe it casts the spell again.
On the other hand, that would be hilarious.

To answer the OP: I don't know if there have been any clarifications, but from the wording I believe it casts the spell again.

But.. What about spells like... Seed of Corruption and a ton of spells that say that they can ONLY affect ONE target period? I.E.: Devouring Plague?
It'd be awesome if it would cast a copy of a spell as if it were another player casting it. Could you imagine, having it proc enough times to have two full sets of DoTs rolling? Then again, Recount would have no idea how to track it, so I'd just be able to gloat about my super-high damage without being able to physically post it. Otherwise I may end up having to go back to destro..

Also, Seed of Corruption can affect as many targets as you can cast it on, the only thing is, it usually explodes after the first tick, or the first time anything hits it. On an AoE pull, if I'm the only one doing AoE damage, I can probably get three SoC's off before they all explode.
06/14/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Maleficious
Then again, Recount would have no idea how to track it,

It would just show up as "Wrath of Tarecgosa". I highly doubt they will let it off the 45 sec Internal Cooldown Timer. Which means, your DPS increase wont be amazing unless it's a DD in that case.

06/14/2011 10:31 AMPosted by Maleficious
Also, Seed of Corruption can affect as many targets as you can cast it on, the only thing is, it usually explodes after the first tick, or the first time anything hits it.

Aye, I understand that, but what about when Seed is spec'd to cast Corruption on all targets that it hits, will it apply a 2nd set of Corruption on adds? Or will it just act as a spell without the perk?
I am a little surprised that this hasn't gotten any attention from the higher-ups. Anyone else have any thoughts on how this effect will work?
Really? We are all done? Oh well...

Also, Seed of Corruption can affect as many targets as you can cast it on, the only thing is, it usually explodes after the first tick, or the first time anything hits it.

Aye, I understand that, but what about when Seed is spec'd to cast Corruption on all targets that it hits, will it apply a 2nd set of Corruption on adds? Or will it just act as a spell without the perk?

If it did apply a second Corruption if Soulburned, I'm afraid that it may be a little OP for that spell in PvP in crowded places, such as the AV bridge. (I don't have experience in PvP, so I don't really know if it really would be OP or not for the copied Seed to also copy Corruption in PvP)
Its been asked. But they don't seem to have an answer for us.
Most of the worries ended up being around, "Oh, do this massive quest to get the legendary staff, involving killing Ragnaros, or just grab the epic staff from Ragnaros instead."

Most legendaries were, in a sense, a little overpowered compared to epics of their level. A hunter never needing arrows? Glaives? Thunderfury? Val'whatevernyr? Hopefully the staff would be a viable choice for people besides mages and balance druids in the proc effect.
My guess is it duplicates the damage, not the spell. DoT's will be upfront damage based on the total damage done, factoring in current procs or power gains. Knowing how (most) channels work, it would probably be a wasted proc since they are individual damage events, but they could make it intelligent enough to only work on a triggered event, rather than a damage event (ie: it will only consume the proc if you physically press Mind Flay/Arcane Missiles, not be consumed mid-channel)

I'm more than certain this is how it's going to work, give or take the channel assumption. I just cannot see half the available (and viable) caster classes being shafted this much. I mean, Mages are awesome, but we're not that awesome.
Dragonwrath is designed to be DOT-friendly. Simply put, it has a chance to copy each tick of a DOT spell. There is no internal cooldown, since we want it to be good for warlocks and Shadow priests.

Furthermore, the proc chance is adjusted favorably for pet specs that derive a significant portion of their DPS from pets.

Our goal is to tune Dragonwrath in such a way that you can give it to any caster without anticipating certain classes or specs getting a bigger benefit than others.
Dragonwrath is designed to be DOT-friendly. Simply put, it has a chance to copy each tick of a DOT spell. There is no internal cooldown, since we want it to be good for warlocks and Shadow priests.

Furthermore, the proc chance is adjusted favorably for pet specs that derive a significant portion of their DPS from pets.

Our goal is to tune Dragonwrath in such a way that you can give it to any caster without anticipating certain classes or specs getting a bigger benefit than others.

So basically I'm going fire if I'm lucky enough to acquire it?

Edit: I'm a lamen when it comes to WoW mechanics but isn't this like ignite munching and will the staff fall victim to it?
06/14/2011 12:00 PMPosted by Kaivax
There is no internal cooldown, since we want it to be good for warlocks and Shadow priests.
oh
06/14/2011 12:00 PMPosted by Kaivax
There is no internal cooldown, since we want it to be good for warlocks and Shadow priests.

Well that's kind of broken.
wait..staff isn't good for healers at all?
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

You, my Blue friend... are awesome, thank you for enlightening us with the real intentions for that proc. Now us DoT-Classes can rejoice and put our vote in for getting this Legendary!

and BTW... No Internal Cooldown is AMAZING! Great idea!