Point Conversion Sellback Policy

General Discussion
06/25/2011 01:01 PMPosted by Myrdin
How are we supposed to know when the patch is when you won't tell us?

Will Blizzard announce their patches now? Otherwise I will not be able to make an educated choice whether to keep piling on VP a bit more or spend them immediately on a Monday.
In order for this to work and to minimize complaints; won't Blizzard have to tell their player base in advance when 4.2 will actually be released? Normally the players have a pretty good guess as to when a new content patch will occur. However this particular change in the refund system rests on the knowledge of when it is safe and when it isn't. How would the players have the certitude and comfort of purchasing valor gear 2 hours prior to the servers coming down for the patch 4.2, if Blizzard does not actually announce in advance the timing of the release?
Those wacky PvPers...
Um, how does the policy change change anything? The countdown doesn't work when you are offline, Whats to keep me from spending my 10k worth of valor on stuff before I log off for the night, say around 11pm, and then selling it back later?

Honestly, I just assumed that you guys would make it sell back for the new currency.

It's silly mistakes like this that make people think all the real devs have left WoW.
06/26/2011 07:33 AMPosted by Zuuf
In order for this to work and to minimize complaints; won't Blizzard have to tell their player base in advance when 4.2 will actually be released? Normally the players have a pretty good guess as to when a new content patch will occur. However this particular change in the refund system rests on the knowledge of when it is safe and when it isn't. How would the players have the certitude and comfort of purchasing valor gear 2 hours prior to the servers coming down for the patch 4.2, if Blizzard does not actually announce in advance the timing of the release?

It's the 28th. They don't come right out and say it, but when they release the trailer for a patch, it means it's coming the following Tuesday. Among other subtle hints they lay out before each patch.
What happens if we buy something on Sunday, log out immediately, and do not log in until 4.2? It's not within 2 hours of maintenance, yet the 2 hour sellback timer hasn't elapsed - can we sell the item back?
06/26/2011 09:17 AMPosted by Wilme
What happens if we buy something on Sunday, log out immediately, and do not log in until 4.2? It's not within 2 hours of maintenance, yet the 2 hour sellback timer hasn't elapsed - can we sell the item back?

The sellback timer will be erased on the items during the maintenance, regardless of when you purchased the item. There's no getting around it.
06/26/2011 06:08 AMPosted by Zebyth
Will Blizzard announce their patches now? Otherwise I will not be able to make an educated choice whether to keep piling on VP a bit more or spend them immediately on a Monday.

There is usually a blue post late at night between 9pm-12am pacific time that confirms the patch is coming.

I have already book marked this one as I'm sure there will be mega rage when the servers come back :P
Hence couldn't someone just buy an item 3 hours before the maintenance, log out & there'll still be refund time left? Or is there going to be a mass wipe of that refund time at the 2 hours-pre-maintenance mark to go along with the temporary shutdown of refunds?

There will be a mass wipe.

I wonder if this well affect my hunter's still remaining trade time on that ilvl200 epic she won over a year and a half ago.
I dunno the "fix" blizzard is implying is that, they will change gear purchased with valor/conquest 2 hours before maintenance to not have a return period. As in buying 3+ hours before and not playing that toon will bypass the fix.

The wording makes it sound like they are oblivious to the fact that you have to be on your character for the timer to tick away.

I don't know the tech behind it all but wouldn't they have to run a query on every valor/conquest item, for every toon and set the cooldown to 0... just seems like needlessly prolonging the maintenance.

Question:

Does the refund window tick down in /played time, not in real time?
Question:

Does the refund window tick down in /played time, not in real time?

/played
Um, how does the policy change change anything? The countdown doesn't work when you are offline, Whats to keep me from spending my 10k worth of valor on stuff before I log off for the night, say around 11pm, and then selling it back later?

Honestly, I just assumed that you guys would make it sell back for the new currency.

It's silly mistakes like this that make people think all the real devs have left WoW.
Because they will set any cooldown back to zero. It doesn't matter whether it ticks down in /played or not, they're essentially making anything with a "can be sold back to merchant for a full refund within such and such time period" tages and making them non-refundable.

In essence, nothing bought beforehand will be refundable, regardless of time remaining.
tbh, i was going to try this...
ah yes another example of what happens when people run thier mouths on the forums.

here is a look ionto the past when this has happened.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1253376893
Edit: Beat to the punch
This also completely confuses me. The way this CM said it, they think that this "two hour window" of selling back an item ticks down while logged out. You can have bought an item a year ago, and stopped playing the game, and when you come back the item will still say it has 2 hours left until being sold back.

It sounds like mentioned by someone else, if you just buy it THREE hours before the realms go off line, then you can still sell them back to the vendor, since they are only going to get rid of the timer on items bought 2 hours before the realms go down. Overly confusing. You should just say you are going to get rid of this window for selling back items completely on all items with this patch.
With the release of 4.2 all Valor Points will be down-converted to Justice Points, and all Conquest Points will be down-converted to Honor Points. To curb the ability to sell items back to the vendors after the conversion for the higher currency, we’re instituting a new sellback policy for items purchased directly before currency down-conversions.

Items purchased within the two hour window before the release of 4.2 will lose their ability to be sold back to the vendor when the realms are brought down for maintenance. No refunds will be granted for items purchased during this time, either by the in-game vendors, or our support departments.

As an example, I buy the Vicious Gladiator's Battle Staff at 2:30 a.m. The servers come down for the release of 4.2 half an hour later. Normally I would still have an hour and a half after the servers return to sell the item back to the vendor. With this policy change though, upon logging in my item can no longer be sold back to the vendor.

This policy is only in effect for maintenances that include currency down-conversions, such as the release of 4.2. To ensure you don’t purchase the wrong item with the inability to sell it back, we recommend buying well before the final two hours so there’s time to change any incorrect purchases.

For more information on the down-conversion please refer to: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2880562

I could buy items now and not have the countdown timer tick away as long as I'm logged off (not that I'm doing to do this - it defeats the purpose of me hoarding points right now, which is the gold conversion, something I need more than the items I'll be able to farm for with JP quickly enough) - does this particular maintenance wipe ALL currently active buyback timers, or just those that were initially bought in the T-Minus Two Hour timeframe?