Why do hunters get a pass in pug groups?

Hunter
If you are reading this, it probably doesn't include you. You took the time to read the forums and learn a bit about the hunter class. But a good number of hunters don't bother with something as trivial as knowing how to play their toon.

What I'm specifically peeved about is pet selection. Missing a buff from a pet isn't that big of a deal; it won't cause a wipe if we are missing 5% crit because no one has a wolf. What annoys me is that if another class cast a redundant buff people immediately take exception. "What's this; a paladin is using kings when we have a druid in the group? BOOT HIM!" "A warrior is using commanding shout when there is a priest with fortitude? What a noob." "Two hunters with cat pets and a prot warrior? Who cares."

I was in a pug group just yesterday, tanking for a guild from another realm. There were two hunters in the group, both with cats. I asked if either had a wolf, and one replied with "why does it matter?" It matters because we don't have a feral druid, elemental shaman, fury warrior, or subtly rogue in the group. I have never seen a hunter (other than my hunter) use a hyena when needed.

All pets of the same type (ferocity, tenacity, or cunning) do the same amount of damage if speced the same way. So pet selection is really about which group buff that pet gives (or the debuff is applies to it's target). Do fail hunters not know this? Where is the confusion coming from?
Do you use your range wepon at all? with the 88 haste RANGED haste must help you tank in MELEE range.
Noob Huntards, imo. I personally keep a cat, a wolf, and a tank-spec'd Tenacity pet on-hand at all times in a dungeon as MM. When I'm rolling BM, I try to have 5% Crit, +Agi/Str, +Stam, and +5% stats available.
I try my best to pick a pet depending on group composition.
So, you are new to tanking? Missing a buff from a hunter pet is usually the least of my worries. I'd be happy for one group out of 20 with anyone that helped interrupt. The vast majority of puggers do little beyond press their dps keys.
I almost always use my Spirit Beast but I also have a Wolf, Shale Spider, Silthid and Corehound.

Agility/Strength, Crit, 5% Stat Buff (also an emergency tank), Stamina, and Bloodlust. Everything a growing hunter needs.
My MM spec kills anything before it gets to me so I dont even keep a tank pet on me anymore. I use a Cat/Wolf/Ravager/Dragonhawk/Hynea
in dungs it really doesnt matter what u use, in raids any good hunter should have 5 different pets to cover at least 5 different buffs and check the raid composition before the raid starts =P

i cant memorize everything but just check the flowchart and your good lol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v482/RPGMaker/Pet-Flowchart3.jpg
What annoys me is that if another class cast a redundant buff people immediately take exception. "What's this; a paladin is using kings when we have a druid in the group? BOOT HIM!" "A warrior is using commanding shout when there is a priest with fortitude? What a noob." "Two hunters with cat pets and a prot warrior? Who cares."

You know exactly why hunters "get a pass". You observe that many hunters don't know how to optimize party and raid buffs, but how many non-hunters are aware of exactly which buffs each pet class brings? Or that pets supply buffs at all?

And have you noticed how many people are playing without gems and enchants? Clearly, they're not going to complain about hunter pet selection...
One day they will get it, at least some of them will. I play with hunters all the time and have to ask them if they have a certain pet and they say "no, why?" Because they just don't know. They don't know about certain changes, they are not well-read into WoW updates. And that's fine.

But 99% of the time after I explain to them, they say "oh really? thanks, I'll go get one after this". I'll take that over "who cares?"

And in case some of those hunters have started reading this, the 3 pets / buffs you should always have on you while running 5 mans are, from my experience of running more 5 mans then I need to, because that's all i really do and have time for; are:

- 5% crit / wolf
- 4% physical damage / ravager
- agility & strength / cat

Rarely need the cat, but the wolf is used 80% of the time. I think combat rogues and frost dks have that buff and i rarely see them in 5 mans. +4% physical damage is required more then i thought too it seems.

SHould also be using the addon called raid buffs or whatever, it tells you who is providing what and what you can provide.
In general i think that you do have those hunters that dont know about the pet buffs. I was in a raid last night where the thoe other hunter had a cat and i was using wolf to cover the 5% crit we had a druid in the group so the str/agi buff was covered. we were missing the 30% bleed dmg debuff on the boss. I had a hyena to cover that. so iasked the huinter if he had a wolf he said no and asked why i told him about the pet buffs he sadi oh yeah i didnt know how that worked i just know that my dps is higher when i use cat.

on a side note you said you were tanking a dungeon where as im sorry but the buffs for a dungeon are no where near as important to be needed for a raid the heroics on the dungeons can be done with out buffs imo
In general i think that you do have those hunters that dont know about the pet buffs. I was in a raid last night where the thoe other hunter had a cat and i was using wolf to cover the 5% crit we had a druid in the group so the str/agi buff was covered. we were missing the 30% bleed dmg debuff on the boss. I had a hyena to cover that. so iasked the huinter if he had a wolf he said no and asked why i told him about the pet buffs he sadi oh yeah i didnt know how that worked i just know that my dps is higher when i use cat.

What are you going on about? Druids cannot provide the Roar of Courage (Str/Agi) buff. A Druid, however, can provide both 5% crit and the 30% bleed debuff in feral form.
On a related note, I was asked what misdirection was by a tank in ZA last week.
When you have to go out and catch your MotW buff (or similar class dependent group utility), and actually have it on you (limited to 5 choices without a stable trip), then you can talk.

Most hunters would probably leave a spot open, for a quick rare tame, but otherwise, they would have only a few key buffs, and bringing a tenacity pet is not optimal, nor is bringing a cunning for BM. But, we will generally have a Tenacity pet for solo content, so that leaves us with 3 buffs. Then consider, a BM hunter would need a non-exotic in case of a sudden off-spec swap, so really, you got only 3 pets to grant a buff, 1 of which is non-exotic at minimum.

Regardless, I wouldn't boot anyone for doubling a buff. Honestly, unless I am going for a bear run, we could all do the run buffless and pantless for all I care (5-mans only, Heroic/Zandalar/Whatever), just as long as we don't wipe to stupid avoidable crap.
Its a PuG..... I always use the shiniest.
06/30/2011 08:21 AMPosted by Adarant

What are you going on about? Druids cannot provide the Roar of Courage (Str/Agi) buff. A Druid, however, can provide both 5% crit and the 30% bleed debuff in feral form.

maybe you failed to realize what i was saying a Druid buff MotW gives 5% increase to str,agi,int etc.. and if the Druid in our group was rest which they were there was no kitty to provide bleed effect
who the hell cares its a random dungeon. not like its that difficult that some buff is going to make or break it for you.

people who pule about buffs are the most annoying,

especially tanks who sit there and wont pull becuase a buff is missing.
06/30/2011 09:11 AMPosted by Jwôlf
maybe you failed to realize what i was saying a Druid buff MotW gives 5% increase to str,agi,int etc.. and if the Druid in our group was rest which they were there was no kitty to provide bleed effect

Yeah I think it was how you wrote it because I read it the same way.

"we had a druid in the group so the str/agi buff was covered"

see?

Imagining what you meant to say was that the str/agi buff was covered by another class, your clarification makes sense, but your style was confusing. Really no need to get defensive about it.
06/30/2011 08:04 AMPosted by Gitzee
SHould also be using the addon called raid buffs or whatever, it tells you who is providing what and what you can provide.

It's called RaidChecklist, and yes, it's quite helpful.