Blizzards NEW lvl 20 FOREVER Free Trials?

General Discussion
Don't trials have a 10gold cap or something stupidly low like that? Oh and they can't use the in-game mail system. Doesn't sound like an effective gold-selling tool to me :)
06/28/2011 02:52 PMPosted by Zarcistiri
The rise of level 20 twinks anyone? :)

Doubt it, BoAs are BiS and they won't have access to it. And plus the BGs are divided in x0-x4 and x5-x9 brackets. So at 20 they'd be stuck going up against lvl 24 people, probably with BoAs... don't think 20 twinks will pan out. 19 twinks MAY have a chance, BoAs are still BiS but not too far off.
06/28/2011 03:22 PMPosted by Ikhnaton
They can type in trade chat can't they?

Erm, and how does this change anything? Currently, trade chat spammers are using trial accounts, they get reported, they get their account closed, they open a new one...

How is this different?
06/28/2011 03:22 PMPosted by Ikhnaton
Don't trials have a 10gold cap or something stupidly low like that? Oh and they can't use the in-game mail system. Doesn't sound like an effective gold-selling tool to me :)

And upping their trial account timer won't change anything. We still report them, they cancel their trial, start up a new one...

< Gold$pam0124878> Please can be buying our gold @ ( Fake Site )! Us offer best deal then others!
06/28/2011 03:25 PMPosted by Naymon

Erm, and how does this change anything? Currently, trade chat spammers are using trial accounts, they get reported, they get their account closed, they open a new one...

How is this different?

Trial accounts can't use any chat channels other than /say, /whisper, and /party.
Also, I don't believe the trial accounts are allowed to use the trade option. I tried to trade a boss drop I won to a trial account toon, but I wasn't allowed to. And yes, it was within the time limit, and he was on the same server.

06/28/2011 03:08 PMPosted by Ikhnaton
This is stupid. Blizzard just wants to keep lying about their actual membership numbers. What other purpose does this serve besides promotion of goldselling?

As for this, from what I have seen, Blizzard is completely transparent with how they figure up how many players WoW has. If I remember correctly, they don't include trial accounts, or expired accounts. Only accounts that are currently active, either payed by a monthly subscription or by game time cards, or players who have recently purchased a new game and are on their first month free are included. Perhaps a blue or someone who knows where this info came from (because I don't remember, although I believe they discussed it on the podcast The Instance as well) could provide more info.

Point being, I don't think Blizzard is about to extend trial accounts just so they can inflate their numbers. What is it now? 12 million accounts? I don't think they need to pad that.
/gladface :D
Where are the trial account FAQS? I searched the Knowledge Base and it was hard to find it, 319 results for "World of Warcraft Trial Account".

EDIT: Went through all 319 results and none were for the original WoW Trial, am I to believe this is the Cataclysm one? If so, then trial members will have access to all the Cataclysm content ( i.e. Worgens / Goblins / Race & Class Combos ) up to level 20 ?

EDIT 2: Found it, it's called "Starter Edition", here's all the restrictions:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20590&pageNumber=1&searchQuery=world+of+warcraft+trial+account
The rise of level 20 twinks anyone? :)

Doubt it, BoAs are BiS and they won't have access to it. And plus the BGs are divided in x0-x4 and x5-x9 brackets. So at 20 they'd be stuck going up against lvl 24 people, probably with BoAs... don't think 20 twinks will pan out. 19 twinks MAY have a chance, BoAs are still BiS but not too far off.

Twinks do not just exist to compete in in PvP. There are "achievement" twinks who just try to achieve as much as they can within the limited level range. Which may include getting the best gear available to them.

But the point was not so much serious twinks but a lot of people stuck at 20, not willing (or able) to pay for the game who will just from playing as much as they can getting the best you can at 20. It was meant somewhat euphamistically.
06/28/2011 03:55 PMPosted by Zarcistiri

Twinks do not just exist to compete in in PvP. There are "achievement" twinks who just try to achieve as much as they can within the limited level range. Which may include getting the best gear available to them.

But the point was not so much serious twinks but a lot of people stuck at 20, not willing (or able) to pay for the game who will just from playing as much as they can getting the best you can at 20. It was meant somewhat euphamistically.

Yea, I get what you are saying. People will definite do it. There's a lot to do sub-20, lots of achieves, things to do, explore, etc. People push every other F2P "Free" offerings, nice to see Blizzard has this now. I think it's a good sell. Might make a free account for the kids, they usually don't push past level 10 anyways, think this is up their alley.
So wait, will I be able to play on my second account that I let lapse, as long as I stick to stuff that is level 20 or below? I tried to log into it and it said I had no time. I like having that second account to give me a raid group when I'm soloing stuff.
06/28/2011 02:08 PMPosted by Lorrn
What about the rest of the article? There's a few 60 twinks who are a little surprised at their free expansion upgrade, from what I understand. ;)

yeah... pretty sure some folks have level'd out before they even realized they were upgraded. bone head move guys and all those people should be reverted.

Edit - Sorry Zarhym, guess we were typing at the same time... I should've just waited 2 seconds i guess :)
I had a 19 twink that I never locked because he needed well over 50% more xp to level to 20. Had him mostly for nostalgia and to duel other 19's. During one of the last few patches (forget exactly) they nerfed the amount of xp needed so when I logged on he only needed 1 xp to level. I quickly rushed to the keep to turn my xp off, only to level to 20 because I had "discovered" it, even though I had already been there a million times.

I put in a ticket they said even if they wanted to, there was no way they could change the level. I don't know if that is true or, if the guy was just saying that as an easy way out. Deleted the twink and haven't played that acccount since, so I didn't pursue it any further.
06/28/2011 04:52 PMPosted by Ayriana
So wait, will I be able to play on my second account that I let lapse, as long as I stick to stuff that is level 20 or below? I tried to log into it and it said I had no time. I like having that second account to give me a raid group when I'm soloing stuff.
Really?
Hmmmmm.
Cata gets reduced to 20 bucks...
Veterans get free keys to give to friends+a month free..
RAF bonuses now go to up level 80...
Trial Accounts no longer expire...

Makes ya wonder why.

cata gets reduced to 20?

where?
So what about past trial account that had expired? Would I be able to log onto them again?
What about the rest of the article? There's a few 60 twinks who are a little surprised at their free expansion upgrade, from what I understand. ;)

yeah... pretty sure some folks have level'd out before they even realized they were upgraded. bone head move guys and all those people should be reverted.

Really? So there's people who went an entire level, from 60 to 61 seeing experience numbers going across their screen when they killed something without actually realizing what they were?