can someone explain?

General Discussion
1 2 3 7 Next
So theres this new feature, the dungeon journal. Why was it put in? its missing information and doesnt give you any strats, and it seems useful for knowing what loot is on the boss without going to wowhead. why did they spend time adding this?

also is there any way to turn the faces off the big map its actually kinda obstructing my map.
The dungeon journal is...

*pauses*

*looks at guild name*

0.o
it only has cata stuff.... theres nothing for vanilla, bc, or wotlk. ill stick with atlas loot...
Not useful? Seriously? Well to start, of course it doesnt have strats. IT never would because Blizzard wants you to figure it out yourself. And missing information? Ill call you out on that one and tell me what its missing. If you mean Van-wotlk, Blizz said theyd put it in later because they wanted to see how it would do.

What it does tell you is the attacks the boss uses, the damage done, the phases, and any adds that occur. It gives you all the information you need, as well as a little lore, to be able to figure out what to do and win at it. How could you complain about it?
Trying to get rid of atlas loot they are imo
I prefer Atlas Loot still, but i take the time to look up what i need to for fights, so i dunno
I think it is relatively useful, mostly for people who either can't or won't look up strats or watch videos to see how boss fights go. Personally, I have yet to really use it. I have atlas loot to look up loot tables, far better imo since it includes ALL the dungeons and raids as well as profession crafted items, faction items and PvP items. The dungeon journal is just there to tell people who aren't willing to put in a little time and effort what a boss is going to do and how bad it is going to hurt :)
What I think it is, Bliz is looking at what addons are popular and trying to streamline them into features of the game. That way people rely less and less on 3rd party addons
They will add more to it in the future.. including old dungeons.
they will eventually roll out the rest of the content in the journal. they just wanted to release the cata stuff they finished instead of waiting to release all of it.
So has it been helpful for any of you? I imagine the dungeon journal was implemented in time for firelands so we can just walk in look at the bosses abilities and know the fight without having to go to a 3rd party website or watch videos on it
I regularly use it to link stuff about the boss fight that people need to deal with.

Incidentally, you can link spells and abilities from the journal to chat.
it just sometimes plain doesn't even work when im in a raid and need it the most, i'll try to click on bosses to link abilities to new people because reading is easier than having somone tell u all these different things
but when i try to go to the boss, it doesn't go into his abilities, it doesn't do ANYTHING, can't look at loot, its like the thing just locks up when your inside a raid when you actually ya know, might use it every once in a while
We posted a preview of the Dungeon Journal on the blog shortly before the release of patch 4.2 and you can find it here- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2943357

If there seems to be missing information, it's because we currently only have the Cataclysm dungeons and raids in the system and plan to add all of the rest of the dungeons and raids at some point in the future.

The purpose of the Dungeon Finder is simply to provide information in-game that is easy and accessible to everyone on the various bosses, their abilities and their loot. It is not there to provide strategies. We just wanted to give a solid starting point and foundation to everyone and let each group determine the best course of action from there.

So theres this new feature, the dungeon journal. Why was it put in? its missing information and doesnt give you any strats, and it seems useful for knowing what loot is on the boss without going to wowhead. why did they spend time adding this?

also is there any way to turn the faces off the big map its actually kinda obstructing my map.
Is the dungeon Journal still missing Argaloth and Occu'Thar? It was earlier this week, I'm sure it'll be added, or perhaps I need to reset my UI...
07/12/2011 11:03 AMPosted by Nethaera
The purpose of the Dungeon Finder is simply to provide information in-game that is easy and accessible to everyone on the various bosses, their abilities and their loot. It is not there to provide strategies. We just wanted to give a solid starting point and foundation to everyone and let each group determine the best course of action from there.

Its useful to use in PuGs where you can link the ability easily and then everyone is like oh thats why it killed us.

Overall a good tool that gives you access to the boss abilities in game on day one without giving away strats.

Surprised someone from TheSafetyWordIsBearMount made this thread.
07/12/2011 08:40 AMPosted by Angelslight

Is an issue though

07/12/2011 11:34 AMPosted by Aekira
Is the dungeon Journal still missing Argaloth and Occu'Thar? It was earlier this week, I'm sure it'll be added, or perhaps I need to reset my UI...

I have seen it there on day one and just checked and still see it, idk why it is not showing up for you.
Also, the dungeon journal isnt supposed to tell you everything about every encounter..

and I pray you dont feel like you're entitled to all the information.

it was addded to give raiders a slight leg up if they havent attempted the ecounter.

And its not going to have strategies, why would it?
Theyre not gonna make the game that easy for you.
Think about what you're asking. Do you want to have all the strategies right there to where the game no longer takes any skills or learning on the fly to beat?
sometimes in the fight i'm trying to mouse over my raid buffs and debuffs but it's not easy reading and maxing gcds at the same time.

shift-j is so helpful these times.

although, a button to toggle off the boss buttons on the map will be super awesome.
i actually like it, i happen to find out about it in BH. Read a little lore about the boss, interactive and fun. Wish they provide an extended version for those of us that wants to know more about the lore without going to a website.
07/12/2011 11:34 AMPosted by Aekira

I used the dungeon journal for Occu'thar the first day he was out so not sure why you say it was missing.

It is very useful for getting a rundown of what to expect during a fight if you don't go to strat videos on youtube.