Spam Emails from Blizzard?

Customer Support
So I just started playing this game a couple weeks ago, however for the last several months I have been getting emails from blizzard saying that my account is being investigated for trying to be sold, and that I need to do something to ensure that account is mine, blah blah blah.

Like I said, I just recently started playing, and I made this account, with my email, the day I did start playing. The email has never been used before for this game, and it let me make the account with the email, so clearly it wasn't being used. So is this email for real (though there is no way it could be)? Or is it a scam sort of thing?

Please let me know what is going on and what I should do, Thank you.

What the email says-
Subject: World of Warcraft - Account Investigation
Email sent from: "Blizzard Entertainment" <WoWAccountAdmin@blizzard.com>
Attached to bottom:
Game Master Dunarthra
Customer Services
Blizzard Entertainment
07/13/2011 03:03 PMPosted by Maniax
So I just started playing this game a couple weeks ago, however for the last several months I have been getting emails from blizzard saying that my account is being investigated for trying to be sold, and that I need to do something to ensure that account is mine, blah blah blah.

Blizzard does not send emails warning you that they detected your account was sold, if they had evidence your account was sold, it would simply be banned.

So the very fact your able to post on these forums means those emails were not actually send by Blizzard.

Furthermore all emails sent by Blizzard is digitally signed, the email you posted, I guarantee you is not digitally signed by Blizzard.

I would change your registered email address and delete the account your currently using to avoid getting spam in the future
How to Identify Fake or Phishing Emails
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article/25133
None of those emails are actually from Blizzard. That portion at the top where it says "From: Blizzard Entertainment <WoWAccountAdmin@blizzard.com>" is easily faked - like someone writing Marilyn Monroe on a "My Name is" badge.

You can learn how to look at the more complete headers following the instructions here:

http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=25133

The phishers who send these emails out don't necessarily know that you have a Battle.Net account attached. Even people who don't play WOW or players' old emails no longer attached to accounts get them.

The phishers scoop emails from all sorts of locations. The big obvious one is posting the email anywhere on the internet - a forum, a guild website, a social networking site. Next is using that email to register for other sites. All it takes is one site that's less careful to let it slip out. Another is using the email with family and friends. All it takes is one compromised computer on which the email client has your email as a contact. Even more are simply created via bruteforce-style methods. If many John Doe's make JohnDoe0001 or John.Doe.1983 or John.Q.Doe, all the phishers do is try every imaginable variable, combination of initial or numbers, on a variety of common email services.

You don't need to do anything. If you can log into your account, there are no issues.

You can make the full headers show (per the article above) and forward the email to hacks@blizzard.com for their review.

You can also make a brand new unrelated email and change your Battle.net account to be registered to that. The plus of that is you'll know Blizzard's REAL emails will never go to the old account ( - since the phishers will just keep spamming that).
07/13/2011 03:03 PMPosted by Maniax
So is this email for real (though there is no way it could be)? Or is it a scam sort of thing?

If you are not familiar with this type of scam it can be confusing, especially the parts that seem so official.

The term for this is "phishing," in which the scammer leads you to believe that they are a legitimate representative of a service for which you have log in information, and they redirect you to an official looking page which prompts you to input your information. If you do, they can log that and use it to steal your account.

If you have clicked any links in this email you'll probably need to scan your computer for viruses and keyloggers (programs that copy your keystrokes and can find your passwords) and should change your login password just to be safe. If you haven't interacted with them yet you're probably ok, just delete them.
Well thank you very much everyone. I'm glad I asked before ever clicking on any of the links provided :D I'll be sure to avoid those and just ignore them. Thank you all again