Actions for Recent Realm Disruptions

Customer Support
Prev 1 28 29 30 76 Next
I think I understand how this cult of personality works, and it's strange and disturbing. Swifty was/is an important figure in World of Warcraft, achieving great things as the best Warrior in the world, sponsored by Razor. He makes videos. People like them, yes, but then it gets strange.

I saw how many people were in Darkspear, and they were spamming relentlessly for hours to the point it was lagging the server to hell. Mob mentality for someone they idolize, to the point it was rabid, irrational.

Seem to invest more of themselves in someone else's game experience than their own. The removal of one person upset them to the point of unrest, to such an extent they might have reacted with dismay if it were their own account being banned. Weird.

Those people may soon find their accounts banned, as mentioned above. The investigation is still ongoing.
You guys have already shown favoritism by allowing discussion of bans to be posted on the forums, which is against the CoC, but by also extending the thread cap on such posts.

Hardly surprising you'd let 30k people who crashed servers and totally disrupted gameplay for thousands of innocent players to get away with a slap on the wrist due to fame and sponsorship.

Grats to all those who are "famous" in the community on your blank check to do whatever you feel like.
Blizzard can't make up their minds. We know this. We've been dealing with the same crap for years. I'm glad Swifty was unbanned. He didn't do anything. He's just a dude that plays wow that has found a way to market himself. Haters can continue to hate. Blizz can continue to make a decision and then revert it because it was stupid in the first place.

Nothing to see here.. move along.
I like this guy, he see's reason and doesn't afraid of anything
07/19/2011 01:19 AMPosted by Fenrïs
I'm not happy with this divide between players.

lol last time i checked this entire game is based on a divide between players......
I'm not happy with this divide between players.

lol last time i checked this entire game is based on a divide between players......
there are many divides between players, lets go kill some gnomes, cuz were gobs
Someone is taking responsibility:
http://videostomper.com/geeky/servers/swifty-and-dara-mactire-crashing-servers-live-stream-7152011/

They even describe it but the video is now set to "private"

You cant explain that.
I think I understand how this cult of personality works, and it's strange and disturbing. Swifty was/is an important figure in World of Warcraft, achieving great things as the best Warrior in the world, sponsored by Razor. He makes videos. People like them, yes, but then it gets strange.

I saw how many people were in Darkspear, and they were spamming relentlessly for hours to the point it was lagging the server to hell. Mob mentality for someone they idolize, to the point it was rabid, irrational.

Seem to invest more of themselves in someone else's game experience than their own. The removal of one person upset them to the point of unrest, to such an extent they might have reacted with dismay if it were their own account being banned. Weird.

Aha, one of the more entertaining read I've had tonight, and unfortunately very true.
07/19/2011 01:37 AMPosted by Siofra
well as ive already said they should step up and accept the consequences for their actions and offer an apology to some of the ppl that were most likely banned based merely because they happened to be on their home server at the time this occured it isnt fair that Swifty should get off without so much as a suspension while who knows countless others are probably going to be banned merely cos they logged in at that time and were caught up in the crash
I'm only going to post once about this subject because I fear the same will happen to me.

A friend of mine was perma banned from the forums for allegedly taking part in all this and I assure you he was not even logged into the game at the time. He even went on to post several times about his disgust for what was happening (He was watching the feed live). Blizzard din't care and lumped him in with the rest. So yeah. Not saying Blizz is a horrible company. I personally love my interactions with all the GM's as well as "Some" CM's. But the fact remains that they made a mistake (with my friend as well as Swifty). I add Swifty to that because he has been banned and unbanned so a mistake was made at least once. I just find it very sad for the other players who will be banned as well who really didn't even know what was happening.

Remember, not all players go to the forums.

Edit: Also, I watched the live feed as it was LIVE. He didn't try and stop the server crashes. That is true. He merely attempted to continue with his contest. I'm sure he even found it funny. But did he orchestrate the crashes? No. He didn't. After a while he even got sick of it and started asking them to stop. Then he got a message from the GM. Then he kept telling them to stop a little more urgently all the while the real person responsible kept egging the mob on. That was the UNEDITED LIVE feed AS IT HAPPENED. I support his unban and feel that Blizz should "Temp" ban and investigate more before tossing out serious punishments.
Blizz deleted my post, so let me rephrase it.

You can't deny that the thousands of people spamming and crashing Darkspear didn't have anything to do with Swifty being unbanned.

Blizz could have had some other motive to unbanning him, sure, but there's still more going on behind the scenes.

In Swifty's youtube video, he deliberately cut out some footage of him crashing the two other servers that he did (after he crashed the first one). He switched shirts as well between the "LOL I CRASHED A SERVER" and the "oh, I crashed a server..." part of the video.

I don't think it was all unintentional, to be completely honest.

I'm not hating on blizzard at all. I've played their games for years, and I've owned WoW for 6+ years now, much like Swifty.

But think about it, if I had done the same thing, and didn't have a fanbase of thousands calling out to get me unbanned, would I be unbanned?

I'm not hating, once again.

I just don't like the way that blizzard handled the whole thing.

Take my post with a grain of salt, It's 2 am here and I'm sleepy.
Just my humble opinion here. All punishment discussion aside, I believe that ALL of the info on the infraction should be put out not just the one sided view you get from the fake cropped youtube videos that this guy puts out. I want to know how all his fanboys would feel if they find out that their hero lied through is teeth and manipulated them for his own personal gain.

As for the punishment he deserved every bit of a permanent ban. HIS actions affected a huge number of people, only blizzard knows how many. Not only did it affect people playing the game, but employees of blizzard who had to clean up the mess. Imagine you were in a progression raid guild and you were having your best progression attempts by far. One little slip up, oh well we get em next time. Oh but you cant get back into the raid because when you released you crashed out of the server.

Yes more people than just him were involved, ban them all. Ever heard of the myth that if tons of people speed down the highway in a group the cops cant pull everyone over, they can and they will.

Still dont think a ban is in order? Fine have him give back to the community what he took away. Make him choose between a ban and paying for every hour of lost time for every person on the affected servers.

Him and everyone involved in this debacle broke some major laws of the game and are just walking away with a slap on the wrist. By not not imposing a ban on these people you are opening up the door to people who will abuse this to flood the server of a guild they are in competition with for raid progress. This on a game that is very strict (justifiably) on naming policies and in game use of foul language is a shocking show of an almost hypocratic nature.

What happened to the blizz that blanket suspended the guild that got sent the gm item and one shot everything in ulduar. Wheter they were involved or not. Ban em all and let God sort em out.
07/18/2011 10:08 PMPosted by Bashiok
accountholders who intentionally participate in events that contribute to realm instability will be subject to significant account actions, up to and including a permanent vacation from the game.

Except the PTR... right? Like.. let's say I have a few hundred friends that like to get together and do some epic world PvP on the PTR and it gets a little shaky, should we fear for repercussions?
Hurray Swifty is back.
07/19/2011 01:45 AMPosted by Foni
accountholders who intentionally participate in events that contribute to realm instability will be subject to significant account actions, up to and including a permanent vacation from the game.

Except the PTR... right? Like.. let's say I have a few hundred friends that like to get together and do some epic world PvP on the PTR and it gets a little shaky, should we fear for repercussions?

There is a difference between deliberately trying to crash the server with a massive amount of players and spam, and trying to orchestrate something fun (Such as a massive raid on Orgrimmar with 120 people) and inadvertently crashing the server because you didn't know.
07/19/2011 01:35 AMPosted by Lorganna
Those people may soon find their accounts banned, as mentioned above. The investigation is still ongoing.

I may end up being one of them. I rolled a toon to take a peek (rubbernecking ftl) and kept declining their "Swifty supporter" guild invites. It was chaotic and yes they should all be banned. At least the ones spamming incessantly.
07/19/2011 01:49 AMPosted by Fenrïs

I may end up being one of them. I rolled a toon to take a peek (rubbernecking ftl) and kept declining their "Swifty supporter" guild invites. It was chaotic and yes they should all be banned. At least the ones spamming incessantly.
Sad that you are right.
It looks like there's some confusion regarding our original message -- in large part due to some poor word choice.

Just to clarify, the decision to change some of the bans to supsensions was actually a correction, not an exception. We reviewed the activity and felt that based on the evidence, the original decision to roll out the ban hammer was incorrect, and the appropriate action, for those bans that were undone, would have been to issue a suspension.

The key words are "based on the evidence," not "based on the activity." The activity of intentionally trying to crash a realm is exceptionally ban-worthy, and we won't hesitate to permanently ban accounts that are involved in that kind of malicious behavior. However, we tend to base the degree of disciplinary action on the evidence we have indicating to what degree the account in question is involved. That was not done for some of the accounts that initially received a full ban, so we corrected the initial mistake and reduced the ban for those accounts to a suspension.

For those concerned with this particular issue, I hope this clarifies things somewhat. I've edited the original post to hopefully avoid similar confusion moving forward.