Marks and Survival PvP Guide (4.3)

Hunter
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
Surv: This fight is much easier for me as survival, as most of your damage is now magical instead of physical. I like to lead with a wyvern sting if I can get it off before the first charge and launch an ice trap onto him. Warriors cannot charge while rooted so I like to chain my entrapment from my ice trap into a pin from my crab so I get 8 seconds of shooting before he gets a chance to move. Once the ice trap goes off and triggers lock and load I usually fire off my first free ES, followed by black arrow, then another explosive shot, kill command and then cobra shot. Once the wyvern sting dot is about to expire I throw up serpent sting. Try to make sure you always have enough focus to fire off explosive shot when it’s available. I often try to lead the warrior back over my ice trap multiple times to try and buy time until my next ice trap is ready. This is easier by jump spin disengaging towards the warrior when he’s just about in melee range and almost outside of your trap radius. Tranq shot whenever you see an enrage buff on him.

-----------------------------------------------
[aaap] c. Protection Warrior - Difficulty 6/10

Protection warriors are very similar to DPS warriors, the main difference is they have way more stuns, hp, and damage mitigation than dps warriors. More patience is required here, as the battle will most likely be much longer. Don’t underestimate their damage, however, shield slam can hit very hard.
How to tell they’re protection: They will have a shield.
Abilities to know:

Charge - 8-25 yard range (8-30 glyphed) with a 13 second cooldown (12 glyphed) and stuns for 1 second, generates 15 rage.

Hamstring - 10 rage, melee range maims the target slowing movement speed by 50% for 8 seconds.

Shockwave 15 rage, 20 second cooldown Sends a wave of force in front of you, causing (75 / 100 * AP) damage (based on attack power) and stunning all enemy targets within 10 yards in a frontal cone for 4 sec.

Concussion Blow - 15 rage, 30 second cooldown, stuns the enemy for 5 seconds and deals 75% of your attack power as damage.

Intimidating Shout - 25 rage, 8 yard range, causes the targetted enemy to cower in fear and up to 5 nearby enemies to flee in terror for up to 8 seconds. 2 minute cooldown

Enraged Regenration - 15 rage, 3 minute cooldown, regenerates 30% of your maximum health over 10 seconds, can only be used while enraged and no enrage effects may be gained while active.

Last Stand - 3 min cooldown
Temporarily grants you 30% of your maximum health for 20 sec.  After the effect expires, the health is lost.

What to trinket: Intimidating shout, or either shockwave or concussion blow if it’s full DR.

Marks: One distinct difference between fighting a prot warrior and a dps warrior as marks is I prefer to use ice trap instead of freezing trap here. Mostly because my mentality isn’t that I have to do more damage to him at range than he does to me in melee, but that I have to keep him away from me as long as I possibly can. Also, I tend to use more chimera shots and arcane shots and less aimed shots against prot warriors. Serpent sting is also way more useful here as it will do more damage over the course of the fight because the fight will be longer. CC or stall him during shield wall because it’s almost pointless to try to damage him while it’s up. Basically you have to outlast him.

He has three main defensive cooldowns that you have to force him to use before you’ll have a chance at winning, shield wall, enraged regeneration, and last stand. Shield wall is easy because you can just stall during that and pump steady shots into him to get your focus up for when shield wall goes down, because you don’t want to waste focus on damaging shots when he’s taking 40% less damage. Enraged regeneration sucks because we really don’t have any way to stop it unless we’re really lucky with a tranq shot, and even then they can do it again in 30 seconds, I pretty much resign myself to the fact that I’m going to have to do whatever health the warrior has plus 30%. 4.3 Update: If you can't dispel his enrage fast enough and he gets enraged regen off pop widow's venom into him so it heals him less. Once those two cooldowns are used the only one that’s left is last stand. It’s possible to stall through this one too as all it does is temporarily increase the warrior’s health. So you could wait it out, but I usually just keep dpsing the warrior anyways because as soon as last stand runs out you’ve got him.

Surv: No real difference here than fighting a dps warrior. make sure you always have at least one dot on him so that he can’t intimidating shout and bandage.
[aaaq] d. Warlock - Difficulty 6/10

Warlocks can be very hard to take down, they have amazing self-heals, a spammable CC, and tons of tricks up their sleeves. However, I find that I’m usually able to out damage them if I use my interrupts wisely. I wouldn’t consider them a hunter’s hardest matchup.

How to tell they’re affliction: affliction locks will usually have either the felhunter or the voidwalker out, unstable affliction and haunt are also affliction talents.

How to tell they’re demonology: Demo locks will 99% of the time have their felguard out, they can also turn into big dark demons of death.

How to tell they’re destruction: destro locks will usually seem like they have no pet out, don’t be fooled, this usually means its the succubus, incinerate and chaos bolt are also destruction spells. Destro locks also often tend to use the imp.

Demonology locks will take less damage and their pet will do ludicrous amounts of damage to you.

Affliction locks heal themselves a lot and do mostly dot damage, make sure you silence them before they get all their dots on you to stall their dps.

Destruction locks will do mostly direct damage spells and will kill you the quickest out of the three specs if not dealt with.
Spells to know:

Fear-12% of base mana

30 yd range 1.7 sec cast
Strikes fear in the enemy, causing it to run in fear for up to 8 sec.  Damage caused may interrupt the effect.  Only 1 target can be feared at a time.

Death Coil-23% of base mana

30 yd range
Instant
2 min cooldown
Causes the enemy target to run in horror for 3 sec and causes 754 Shadow damage.  The caster gains 300% of the damage caused in health.

Howl of Terror-8% of base mana
1.5 sec cast (Instant if Affliction)
40 sec cooldown
Howl, causing 5 enemies within 10 yds to flee in terror for 8 sec.  Damage caused may interrupt the effect.

Shadowfury-27% of base mana

30 yd range
Instant
20 sec cooldown
Shadowfury is unleashed, causing 688 to 818 Shadow damage and stunning all enemies within 8 yds for 3 sec.

Demonic Circle Summon-15% of base mana
0.5 sec cast
You summon a Demonic Circle at your feet, lasting 6 min. You can only have one Demonic Circle active at a time.

Demonic Circle Teleport-100 Mana

40 yd range
Instant
30 sec cooldown
Teleports you to your Demonic Circle and removes all snare effects.

What to Trinket-Fear, Howl of Terror, Seduce, or Death Coil
Strategy:

Marks: With warlocks its obviously going to be a dps race since most of them will not try to make you kite them by running at you, and if they do they’re really doing you a favor by not dpsing as hard as they could be. Your goal at the start of a warlock duel is to take a large chunk of his health away before he gets a fear off on you. Against locks I usually rapid fire aimed, chimera and start doing as much damage as possible, at this point they’ll either start dotting you up or lead with a fear, if they lead with a fear you need to use one of five ways you have to stop it, as marks you have silencing shot, feign death, scatter shot, deterrence, and your pvp trinket. You should use one of these to interrupt or stop fear. If you can avoid getting a full fear cast on you then this fight will probably go in your favor. I also recommend snake trap against locks simply for the mind-numbing poison, giving you more time to dodge fears and other casts. Only trinket death coil if the warlock is in kill shot range and you’re really fast because what usually happens is you trinket death coil and then immediately eat a fear as lots of warlocks like to use the time death coil gives them to get a fear off. In arenas watch for the demonic circle teleport because locks will usually use this method to teleport behind a pillar that basically makes it a defensive cooldown. 4.3.2 Update: Using deterrence now reduces all damage taken by 30% while active so you can use deterrence with DoT's on you to significantly reduce your incoming damage.

Surv: As survival this fight is a little harder because you don’t have silencing shot. But you do gain reflect spells while in deterrence. Wait until he’s about to finish casting a big spell (chaos bolt, incinerate, unstable affliction or even fear) and then deterrence just in time to reflect his spell. This gives him less time to react and cancel his spell. If you reflect his own fear on him take off your deterrence so you can take advantage of the free cc you just landed on him to get a cobra shot off. Lead with wyvern sting and land an ice trap on him to proc LnL and a snake trap for mind-numbing poison. Start pumping shots into him and don’t let him fear you. Don’t forget about roar of sacrifice and you should be able to come out on top.
[aaar] e. Shadow Priest - Difficulty 8/10

Video Guide by Zumio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkqe-RPGvwM&list=UUXHuFRvv0yhXtZBUVf2hsHw&index=1&feature=plcp

Shadow Priests are one of the harder matchups for hunters in my opinion. Great dot damage combined with the ability to come out of shadowform and heal themselves, a disarm and a great defensive cooldown in dispersion plus shields make a good shadow priest a very tough opponent.
How to tell they’re shadow: shadowform, they’ll be dark and evil looking.
Spells to know:

Psychic scream-15% of base mana

Instant
30 sec cooldown
The caster lets out a psychic scream, causing 5 enemies within 8 yards to flee for 8 sec.  Damage caused may interrupt the effect.

Mind Blast-17% of base mana

40 yd range
1.5 sec cast
8 sec cooldown
Blasts the target for 1431 to 1511 Shadow damage.

Psychic horror-
16% of base mana
30 yd range
Instant
2 min cooldown
You terrify the target, causing them to tremble in horror for 3 sec and drop their main hand and ranged weapons for 10 sec.

Dispersion-2 min cooldown
You disperse into pure Shadow energy, reducing all damage taken by 90%.  You are unable to attack or cast spells, but you regenerate 6% mana every 1 sec for 6 sec.

Dispersion can be cast while stunned, feared or silenced. Clears all snare and movement impairing effects when cast, and makes you immune to them while dispersed.

Power Word: Shield-34% of base mana

40 yd range
Instant
3 sec cooldown
Draws on the soul of the friendly target to shield them, absorbing 8136 damage.  Lasts 15 sec.  While the shield holds, spellcasting will not be interrupted by damage.  Once shielded, the target cannot be shielded again for 15 sec.

Flash Heal-28% of base mana

40 yd range
1.5 sec cast
Heals a friendly target for 6272 to 7288.

What to trinket-psychic scream or psychic horror
Strategy:

Marks: This fight can be very difficult. A good shadow priest can keep his dots up on you while playing defensive by coming out of shadowform to heal, letting his dots kill you or they can stay in shadowform and let power word shield and dispersion mitigate your damage. The trick with this fight is tranq shot. Always try to get power word shield dispelled as soon as it comes up but don’t use more than 2 tranq shots at a time trying to get it off otherwise you sacrifice too much dps. Being able to tranq power word shield on the first or second try is very important because it absorbs so much damage, so the key here is getting rid of other buffs on the priest before power word shield is used so that way your tranq shot is much more likely to get power word shield when the priest does use it. Usually I try and get fortitude and shadow protection off while the priest is in my freezing trap (you can shoot tranq shot without activating auto shot). Try to dodge his mind blast via feign death or deterrence. Save scatter shot and silencing shot for if he tries to go out of shadowform to heal, but use your judgement, if his health is getting low and he’s showing no signs of shifting out to heal go ahead and silence or scatter a mind blast. Snake trap is very effective against shadow priests as they really don’t have any good aoe abilities, which gives the snakes time to get mind numbing poison up, and you might be able to get the priest to waste psychic scream on the snakes. Also, don’t let him get close to you because then you can save your trinket for psychic horror, otherwise you’re going to have to eat either psychic scream or psychic horror. Make sure you don’t waste any high damaging shots while they’re dispersed and you should be able to walk away from this fight as the victor. Also, use widow's venom if they shift out of shadowform to heal themselves. 4.3.2 Update: Deterrence now reduces all incoming damage by 30% while it's active so you can use it with DoT's on you to significantly reduce your incoming damage.

Surv: Pretty much same strategy as marks here except replace silencing shot with wyvern sting. I always try to deterrence right as their mind blast is about to finish casting because usually you’ll be able to get him to reflect it back at himself and maybe even his next cast or two if they’re not paying attention. Good priests will shift out for a heal or put up a shield if they see you deterrence so if this happens don’t be afraid to right click your deterrence buff in order to interrupt a flash heal. Snake trap is even more effective as survival here.
[aaas] f. Enhancement Shaman - Difficulty 7/10

Enhancement Shaman can be tough if they’re very good but for the most part it’s fairly easy for you to come out on top in this matchup, it’s all about staying at range, stopping his self heals and countering his cooldowns with your own.
How to tell they’re enhance: Enhancement shaman will have a very small mana pool compared to the other two shaman specs (usually around 20-30k).
Abilities to know:

Feral Spirit-12% of base mana

30 yd range
Instant
2 min cooldown
Summons two Spirit Wolves under the command of the Shaman, lasting 30 sec.

Frost Shock-18% of base mana

25 yd range
Instant
6 sec cooldown
Instantly shocks the target with frost, causing 848 to 896 Frost damage and slowing movement speed by 50%.  Lasts 8 sec.  Causes a high amount of threat.

Earthbind Totem-5% of base mana
Instant
15 sec cooldown

Summons an Earthbind Totem with 5 health at the feet of the caster for 45 sec that slows the movement speed of enemies within 10 yards.

Healing Surge-27% of base mana 1.5 second cast

40 yd range

Heals a friendly target for 4484 to 5122.

Hex-3% of base mana

30 yd range
1.5 sec cast
45 sec cooldown
Transforms the enemy into a frog. While hexed, the target cannot attack or cast spells. Damage caused may interrupt the effect. Lasts 8 seconds. Only one target can be hexed at a time.  Only works on Humanoids and Beasts.

What to trinket: Hex or Frost shock (if it roots you)
Strategy:

Marks: Treat enhancement shaman like warriors and rogues, most of their damage will come in melee range so make sure to always be kiting them. At range their frost shock will root you but if they’re within 15 yards of you their frost shock will only slow you. Always master’s call the frost shock root ASAP to prevent them getting to you. Make sure you keep concussive shot on them at all times. Shamans can purge master’s call so watch out for that. Enhance shaman get excellent self heals from their wolves if they hit you, so make sure they don’t via deterrence and kiting them, do not trinket the stun that the wolves do because it doesn’t last a very long time and if you trinket that it leaves you open to hex or frost shock. Some shamans will try to heal themselves by hexing you and casting healing surges so make sure you save your trinket for hex so you can silence his heals because maelstrom weapon can make hex an instant cast which makes it impossible to avoid. They most likely won’t be able to heal themselves back to full with the mana pool and spell power they have but their heals may give them just enough health to be able to win the dps race against you so make sure you don’t let that happen. Use ice traps against enhance shamans in case they try to ghost wolf charge you. If he does get on top of you make sure you use roar of sacrifice to mitigate his damage somewhat. And make sure you keep Widow's venom on him when he pops wolves. Enhancement shaman also have a talent tied to their earthbind totem that makes it remove snares when it pulses so if you're quick you should try to kill it so you can continue kiting him.

Surv: As survival the strategy is pretty much the same except you should save scatter shot or wyvern sting for their healing surge if they try to cast it because you don’t have silencing shot. You can also try to reflect their hex or frost shock with deterrence, but its really risky to not save deterrence for the wolves because they get so much healing from them.
[aaat] g. Elemental Shaman - Difficulty 6/10

Video Guide by Zumio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTgwuSeS_Qc&list=PL47425EFB2BAF8886&index=6&feature=plpp_video

Elemental shaman can be difficult if you let them get off too many heals and don’t interrupt lava burst in some way but overall are not unbeatable in most circumstances.
How to tell they’re elemental: they will have a much larger mana pool than enhancement (usually around 90k) and will not have an earth shield buff on themselves. the totem of wrath buff is also a telltale sign its an elementalist.
Abilities to know:

Lava Burst-10% of base mana

30 yd range
2 sec cast
8 sec cooldown
You hurl molten lava at the target, dealing 1395 to 1777 Fire damage. If your Flame Shock is on the target, Lava Burst will deal a critical strike.

Spirit Walker’s Grace-12% of base mana
Instant
2 min cooldown
Calls upon spiritual guidance, permitting movement while casting non-instant Shaman spells. This spell may be cast while casting other spells. Lasts 15 sec.

Healing Surge-27% of base mana

40 yd range
1.5 sec cast
Heals a friendly target for 4484 to 5122.

Hex-3% of base mana

30 yd range
1.5 sec cast
45 sec cooldown
Transforms the enemy into a frog. While hexed, the target cannot attack or cast spells. Damage caused may interrupt the effect. Lasts 1 min. Only one target can be hexed at a time.  Only works on Humanoids and Beasts.

What to trinket: Hex
Strategy:

Marks: Elemental shamans require pretty much the same strategy as balance druids because they have very similar fighting styles. Most will not try to get in your melee range and will instead just try to burst you down with their ranged spells. Elemental shaman tend to lead with flame shock followed by lava burst because flame shock makes their lava burst crit. Lava burst does absurd amounts of damage because of this so make sure you don’t get hit by it. Basically the fight should go something like this. Shaman casts flame shock and then lava burst, you feign death to interrupt lava burst and shoot him a few times. Shaman casts again, you silencing shot the cast and keep shooting him. Shaman casts again, you use deterrence, shaman starts to heal, you interrupt with a scatter shot and finish him off. You might let a few casts get through but the point is to make sure you don’t let too many of the important spells hit you or heal him. Roar of sacrifice will negate lava burst’s 100% critical strike chance. Throw up widow's venom if it looks like he's going defensive.

Surv: Same strategy here, I always try to reflect either lava burst or chain lightning with deterrence. This makes it very hard for the shaman to come back and win. Snake trap for mind-numbing poison, and roar of sacrifice to counter lava burst’s 100% critical chance.
[aaau] h. Protection Paladin - Difficulty 2/10

Protection paladins are mostly just a nuisance. They’ll probably die to you, but they have many ways to drag out the fight a very very long time which can become annoying. The important thing about prot pallies is to keep your cool and just keep kiting them and they will eventually go down.
How to tell they’re prot: pally with a shield and low mana pool (20-30k).
Abilities to know:

Avenger’s Shield-6% of base mana

30 yd range
Instant
15 sec cooldown
Requires Shields
Hurls a holy shield at the enemy, dealing 2691 to 3289 Holy damage, silencing and interrupting spellcasting for 3 sec, and then jumping to additional nearby enemies.  Affects 3 total targets.

Flash of Light-31% of base mana

40 yd range
1.5 sec cast
A quick, expensive heal that heals a friendly target for 6907 to 7749.

Hammer of Justice-3% of base mana

10 yd range
Instant
40 second cooldown
Stuns the target for 6 sec.

Divine Shield-3% of base mana
Instant
5 min cooldown
Protects you from all damage and spells for 8 sec, but reduces all damage you deal by 50%.  Cannot be used on a target with Forbearance.  Causes Forbearance for 1 min.

Hand of Freedom-6% of base mana

30 yd range
Instant
25 sec cooldown
Places a Hand on the friendly target, granting immunity to movement impairing effects for 6 sec.  Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.

What to trinket: Hammer of Justice
Strategy:

Marks: Protection Paladins are extremely annoying. You’re going to be doing a lot of fox kiting here. Try putting up serpent sting, if they cleanse it then don’t bother with it anymore but if they don’t cleanse it then keep it on them. Be aware that avenger’s shield silences you, which makes it so you can’t use trap launcher, traps, or switch aspects for a couple seconds. Prot pallys have serious issues doing any kind of substantial burst damage so just try to stay at range and whittle them down bit by bit. Always silence or scatter their heals if you can. The healing effect from Chimera shot is actually fairly important in this matchup as you’re going to be using it a lot and it will probably cancel out most of the damage the paladin can do to you if you can keep him at range long enough. Also, if a prot paladin is really desperate to stay alive as long as possible he might lay on hands on himself as he’s about to die, just keep your cool and keep kiting him with fox. Make sure to switch to hawk when you use your damaging shots and just keep plucking away at him. A healthy dose of tranquilizing shots is also recommended here to make his hand of freedom and avenging wrath more vulnerable to your tranq shots later in the fight.

Surv: This fight is kind of a double edged sword if you’re survival. On the one hand most of your damage is elemental which goes through the paladin’s tough armor. However, on the other hand, two of your main dots are very vulnerable to cleansing from the paladin if he’s smart which will cause a dramatic loss in your dps. You also don’t have silencing shot which can be annoying if they decide to use a lot of heals. This should still be a relatively easy fight though simply because they only have avenger’s shield to slow us so we’ll be able to keep them at range for most of the fight.
[aaav] i. Retribution Paladin - Difficulty 8/10

Ret paladins are much harder than prot pallies simply because they can do a ton of damage to you in a very short amount of time, have very good uninterruptible self-heals, and can become unkitable via hand of freedom. If you can keep tranq shots on them and stop their hard cast heals the fight becomes much easier.
How to tell they’re ret-two handed weapon and low mana pool
Abilities to know:

Hammer of Justice-3% of base mana

10 yd range
Instant
40 second cooldown
Stuns the target for 6 sec.

Avenging Wrath-8% of base mana
Instant
3 min cooldown
Increases all damage and healing caused by 20% for 20 sec.

Divine Shield-3% of base mana
Instant
5 min cooldown
Protects you from all damage and spells for 8 sec, but reduces all damage you deal by 50%.  Cannot be used on a target with Forbearance.  Causes Forbearance for 1 min.

Hand of Freedom-6% of base mana

30 yd range
Instant
25 sec cooldown
Places a Hand on the friendly target, granting immunity to movement impairing effects for 6 sec.  Players may only have one Hand on them per Paladin at any one time.

Flash of Light-31% of base mana

40 yd range
1.5 sec cast
A quick, expensive heal that heals a friendly target for 6907 to 7749.

Acts of Sacrifice(talent)-Causes cleanse to remove one movement impairing effect when cast on yourself.

Repentance-9% of base mana

30 yd range
Instant
1 min cooldown
Puts the enemy target in a state of meditation, incapacitating them for up to 1 min.  Any damage from sources other than Censure will awaken the target.  Usable against Demons, Dragonkin, Giants, Humanoids and Undead.

What to trinket: Hammer of Justice
Strategy:

Marks: Ret paladins require a healthy dose of tranquilizing shots in order to kite effectively because of hand of freedom. Because of their talent Acts of Sacrifice, do not rely on concussive shot or wing clip to keep them kited for long as they can simply cleanse it. Ice trap is going to be your only reliable way to kite them, assuming, however, you can tranq hand of freedom off. Paladins will usually have at least 1 or 2 buffs that need to be tranqed BEFORE they use hand of freedom. If you wait until they use hand of freedom before you shoot your first tranq you might have to tranq 3 times before getting the hand of freedom off, and by then the paladin is going to be on top of you. So, ideally, you want the paladin to have no dispellable buffs when he uses hand of freedom so you only need to shoot one tranq to get it off right away so you can slow him again. So when the fight starts my goal is to get all the paladin’s buffs dispelled before he does any major damage to me. Ret Paladins don’t have any ways to slow you, however, they will run faster if they judge you from a distance, can get rid of your slows, and can also cast repentance at range. Your trinket should always always ALWAYS be saved for hammer of justice because if you get caught in that with no way out they can do tons of damage to you in the 6 seconds it provides, so learn to predict when hammer of justice is coming and be quick on the trinket. Also learn to predict when hand of freedom will come to be ready for the tranq shot. If you do get caught in a hammer of justice, use roar of sacrifice asap to avoid crits while you’re sitting in that stun. Other than that, just keep an eye on your cooldowns and use them wisely to keep range on him. You should also tranq avenging wrath asap (the wings) as they dramatically increase the paladin’s dps output as well as allowing the use of hammer of wrath (their kill shot-esque ability) anytime. Save silencing shot for any heal he’ll try to cast, but don’t worry about their instant heals, there’s not much you can do about that. Keep widow's venom applied 100% of the time to mitigate some of the healing they'll get from Word of Glory's (their instant heal). I recommend using a monkey pet in this matchup so that you can use bad manner if you get caught in a HoJ with no trinket or RoS.

Surv: Lead with wyvern sting and get a few tranqs off while launching an ice trap onto him. After this, its pretty much same strat as marks, save scatter shot for a heal attempt. If you’re really lucky you can reflect hammer of justice with deterrence.
[aaaw] j. Rogue - Difficulty 8/10

Video Guide by Zumio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Csv-0VZWDo&list=PL47425EFB2BAF8886&index=9&feature=plpp_video

Ah rogues...the hunter vs rogue matchup has always been a very intriguing one for me as they are my two favorite classes and also lots of hunters tend to have problems with rogues. For this guide I will be assuming your opponent is subtlety because about 90% of pvp rogues are nowadays. If your opponent is not subtlety you will most likely have a much easier time as they will be missing the crucial ability, shadowstep. Instead of talking about the multiple rogue specs I will simply talk about what to do if he gets the opener on you and if you get the opener on him.
How to tell they’re subtlety: they will have a buff called “honor among thieves” (Note: this is possible to get from other rogues, so non-subtlety rogues may still have this buff if they’re near a sub rogue)
Abilities to know:

Shadowstep-25 yd range
24 sec cooldown
Causes you to step through the shadows and appear behind an enemy target.  Your next Ambush or Garrote delivered within 10 sec will deal 30% additional damage, and your movement speed is increased by 70% for 3 sec.

Blind-15 Energy

15 yd range
Instant
3 min cooldown
Blinds the target, causing it to wander disoriented for up to 8 seconds.  Any damage caused will remove the effect.

Vanish-3 min cooldown
Allows the rogue to vanish from sight, entering an improved stealth mode for 3 sec.  For the first 3 sec after vanishing, damage and harmful effects received will not break stealth.  Also breaks movement impairing effects.

Sprint-1 min cooldown
Increases your movement speed by 70% for 8 sec.  Does not break stealth.

Kidney Shot-25 Energy

Melee Range
Instant
20 sec cooldown
Requires Melee Weapon
Finishing move that stuns the target.  Lasts longer per combo point:
  1 point  : 2 seconds
  2 points: 3 seconds
  3 points: 4 seconds
  4 points: 5 seconds
  5 points: 6 seconds

Shadow Dance-1 min cooldown
Enter the Shadow Dance for 6 sec, allowing the use of Sap, Garrote, Ambush, Cheap Shot, Premeditation, Pickpocket and Disarm Trap regardless of being stealthed.

Smoke Bomb-3 min cooldown
Creates a cloud of thick smoke in an 8 yard radius around the Rogue for 5 sec. Enemies are unable to target into or out of the smoke cloud.

Recuperate-30 Energy

100 yd range
Instant
Finishing move that consumes combo points on any nearby target to restore 3.5% of maximum health every 3 sec.  Lasts longer per combo point:
  1 point  : 6 seconds
  2 points: 12 seconds
  3 points: 18 seconds
  4 points: 24 seconds
  5 points: 30 seconds

Evasion-3 min cooldown
Increases the rogue's dodge chance by 50% and reduces the chance that ranged attacks hit the rogue by 25%.  Lasts 15 sec.

Cloak of Shadows-2 min cooldown (shares a cooldown with combat readiness)
Instantly removes all existing harmful spell effects, provides momentary immunity against all damage and harmful effects, and causes you to resist all spells for 5 sec.  Does not remove effects that prevent you from using Cloak of Shadows.

Dismantle-25 Energy

Melee Range
Instant
1 min cooldown
Disarm the enemy, removing all weapons, shield or other equipment carried for 10 sec.

Combat Readiness-2 min cooldown (shares a cooldown with cloak of shadows)
Enter into a state of heightened awareness, deflecting enemy weapon strikes with increasing effectiveness.  Successive attacks will deal 10% less damage per application, stacking 5 times.  Lasts for 20 sec, but if 10 sec elapse without any incoming weapon strikes, this state will end.

What to trinket: Blind, Kidney Shot, Dismantle

Strategy: As you can see simply from the amount of abilities that you should know as compared with other classes, this is going to be a tough fight. However, if you do your homework and know how all the rogue abilities work you’ll be much closer to being able to defeat any rogue you encounter.

Tips for finding a rogue: (Note: this can also be applied to druids) If you know a rogue is in the immediate area and are trying to flush him out you’re doing him a favor by just sitting on your flare. A good rogue will be able to step to you and get an opener on you before the flare reveals him so don’t make it easy for him to do that. Go into camoflauge, keep traps down, and flare in random locations and in directions your character isn’t looking. Jump around strafing and mashing your abilites in the hopes of targetting him and making it hard for him to get behind you. And yes, sadly, pet aggresive stance is now gone, so we’re reduced to actually having to find the rogues ourselves! Might as well stop crying about it and figure out ways to get around it.
If you get the jump on him:
If you do end up finding him and getting him out of stealth now you have to gauge his actions. Some rogues will immediately look to escape and come back later to attempt to get an opener, if he turns away and uses sprint, cloak of shadows, or vanish this is usually the case. If your flare is down there’s not much else you can do other than force him to use as many cooldowns as you can for him to get away, which is cloak and vanish, now even though he’s probably gotten away now you’ve made him use two important cooldowns.

If your flare isn’t down then you should predict the vanish, have your flare ready and lead the rogue a little bit with it (meaning flare where he’s going instead of where he is), especially if he’s using sprint, to try and pop him out again. If you manage to flare his vanish now you’re in a really good spot because now he’ll have to use preparation and vanish again if he wants to get away which will put him out even more cooldowns. Usually at this point the rogue will elect to just engage you. Always keep a serpent sting on him in case he tries to randomly vanish to get away later in the fight. Wait for him to stun you before using master’s call to get away otherwise you could be in the bad scenario of eating a stun with master’s call up, thus wasting master’s call. Keep an eye on your flare cooldown and make sure you’re always ready with it in case he tries to use vanish offensively to get another opener on you. You could also just flare on cooldown whenever its up to discourage him from doing this.

Also keep a close eye out for his shadow dance buff because you’re definitely going to want to counter that with either deterrence (if you’re not stunned) or roar of sacrifice (if you are stunned, much more likely), or your pvp trinket and disengage. Shadow dance lets him pump incredible amounts of damage into you in a very short amount of time, especially if his energy if full. Watch for his defensive cooldowns too, evasion, combat readiness, and (to a lesser extent) smokebomb. Evasion will make it harder for you to hit him, so don’t use important shots on him during evasion unless you (or him) have very low health because it really sucks when scatter shot or chimera shot misses. Combat readiness causes him to take much less damage for a time, I use the same strategy here and just try to pool focus to prepare for when combat readiness goes down (combat readiness looks like red swirly knife things around him). Smokebomb will just give him a few recup ticks if he decides to just stay in it so you can’t target him. He also might use it to buy some time for him to dps your pet for a bit (either to get combo points or to actually try and kill your pet) obviously don’t let him kill your pet if he decides to do this, call him back and cast mend pet to discourage the rogue from killing it, because without your pet you can’t roar of sacrifice or master’s call, two very important rogue-countering abilities we have. Because I usually have a serpent sting on rogues, I will elect to use ice traps against them (as freezing will be useless because of serpent sting). Snake traps are also very effective here, with rogues being about the only class where the deadly poison from the snakes is even semi-useful, and a timely crippling poison from them can be helpful if you let your snares drop off from him for any reason. At the very least you’ll make him waste some energy and a global on fan of knives.

If he gets the jump on you:
If the rogue gets the opener on you (which admittedly happens much more to me) you’re obviously going to be in for a much tougher fight. If he uses garrote, you’re going to be silenced for 4.5 seconds (assuming the rogue has the glyph, which most do) so don’t try to trap him, just master’s call or scatter and try to get to range before he stuns you. If he cheap shots you, DON’T TRINKET!!! it leaves you open for way too many of his other, more important, abilities and your reaction time has to be perfect for you to get any benefit from it at all. Just pop roar of sacrifice and eat the cheap shot, you need to save your trinket for kidney shot or blind. If he ambushes you use the same strategy with garrote, except you’ll be able to add in a trap as well. Once you’ve dealt with his opener now watch for what cooldown he uses next, my goal here is to get him to use shadowstep (if he didn’t use it on the opener) without getting snared or stunned after he uses it. To pull this off you need to have a very quick reaction (or be a very good predictor of when he’ll use it) and use either disengage, master’s call, deterrence, or a combination of them to get away after his step. I suggest dueling a lot of rogues to help you get this timing down, as it’s very important in this matchup.
Cooldown management and recognition is extremely important with rogues, ie: being able to know what cooldowns you should use in each situation as the fight evolves, knowing which ones you still have left, as well as being able to quickly find out what cooldowns the rogue is using, and which ones he has left to use will go a long way in determining your success against rogues. Practice is one of the best ways to get better at this matchup, duel as many rogues as you can as often as you can if you’re having problems with them. I recommend starting with a monkey pet so you can use bad manner to negate their opener if they lead with cheap shot. If they sap your monkey and then cheap shot you make sure you have your monkey specced for Bullheaded ; )
[aaax] k. Frost Mage - Difficulty 10/10

Video by Zumio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBTHVZP3CJA&list=PL47425EFB2BAF8886&index=7&feature=plpp_video

Frost Mages, I believe, are the single hardest 1v1 matchup for a hunter, almost solely due to the fact that they can spellsteal our master’s call ability, which really, REALLY sucks, especially if they get it right when you put it up. They also have a myriad of slows plus blink to close any gap you create, not to mention a pet to keep us from freezing trap+bandaging and excellent defensive abilities.
How to tell they’re frost: A frost elemental pet will be following them, ice barrier is also a giveaway.

Spells to know:

Frost Nova-7% of base mana
Instant
25 sec cooldown
Blasts enemies near the caster for 368 to 426 Frost damage and freezes them in place for up to 8 sec.  Damage caused may interrupt the effect.

Blink-12% of base mana
Instant
15 sec cooldown
Teleports the caster 20 yards forward, unless something is in the way.  Also frees the caster from stuns and bonds.

Ice Block-15 Mana
Instant
5 min cooldown
You become encased in a block of ice, protecting you from all physical attacks and spells for 10 sec, but during that time you cannot attack, move or cast spells.  Also causes Hypothermia, preventing you from recasting Ice Block for 30 sec.

Deep Freeze-9% of base mana

35 yd range
Instant
30 sec cooldown
Stuns the target for 5 sec.  Only usable on Frozen targets.  Deals 1144 to 1432 damage to targets that are permanently immune to stuns.

Ice Barrier-21% of base mana
Instant
30 sec cooldown
Instantly shields you, absorbing 8069 damage.  Lasts 1 min.  While the shield holds, spellcasting will not be delayed by damage.

Polymorph-7% of base mana

35 yd range
1.7 sec cast
Transforms the enemy into a sheep, forcing it to wander around for up to 8 sec.  While wandering, the sheep cannot attack or cast spells but will regenerate very quickly.  Any damage will transform the target back into its normal form.  Only one target can be polymorphed at a time.  Only works on Beasts, Humanoids and Critters.

Evocation-Channeled

4 min cooldown
Gain 15% of your mana and 40% of your health over 6 sec.

Frostbolt-13% of base mana

35 yd range
2 sec cast
Launches a bolt of frost at the enemy, causing 723 to 921 Frost damage and slowing movement speed by 40% for 9 sec.

Spell Steal-40% of base mana

40 yd range
Instant
Steals a beneficial magic effect from the target.  This effect lasts a maximum of 2 min.

What to Trinket: Polymorph, Deep Freeze
Strategy:

Marks: An equally geared and skilled frost mage will usually wipe the floor with me. That being said, we can still be victorious in this matchup but we must play without any mistakes and be a little lucky. A duel will usually start like this, I’ll shoot him a few times then he’ll blink in my face and get one of his myriad of slows or roots on me, at which point I’ll master’s call to try to get back to range, get it stolen, and then get my hopes and dreams frozen.

This is the only class that can take one of your best kiting abilities from you and use it against you. Because of this you need to be extremely careful about when you decide to use master’s call. I’ll try to cover my master’s call by either layering a deterrence on top of it to reflect the spellsteal or silence the mage. Your goal here with master’s call is to be able to use it on yourself without getting it stolen as soon as you put it up, giving the mage the full duration of it to use against you. If he does steal it from you with at least 3 or 4 seconds on it you can try and tranq it off him, if he steals it any later its not worth the focus to try and tranq it off. Another important element in this fight is ice barrier. It absorbs a ton of damage, so if possible you need to try and get it off via tranq shot rather than trying to power through it. Also, if you simply try to damage through it you’ll give the mage a free frost nova (shattered barrier). Save your trinket for deep freeze, as it lets the mage get off way too many spells on you. If you’re caught in a deep freeze with no trinket use roar of sacrifice asap because you’re about to take a ton of damage. If he gets low watch for ice block and don’t waste any focus costing shots on it. If possible try to save disengage for after he blinks to you instead of using it first and then having him blink in your face.

Surv: Pretty much same strategy here. Try to reflect a frostbolt/ice lance combo with deterrence if you can.
[aaay] l. Fire/Arcane Mage - Difficulty 7/10

Video Guide by Zumio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIBbXlI_tfs&feature=plcp&context=C3ac1700UDOEgsToPDskK0ePveiXqKm0vFOkzdJl01

The other two Mage specs are much easier as they have a lot less ways of slowing you down, however both of these specs are very capable of pumping out incredible burst damage so learn to predict when it’s about to come so you can deterrence in time.
How to tell they’re fire/arcane: Actually the quickest way for me to tell if a mage is fire or arcane is if he doesn’t have a water elemental following him, after that his first spell usually gives away whether he’s fire or arcane.
Spells to know:

Both Specs:

Frost Nova-7% of base mana
Instant
25 sec cooldown
Blasts enemies near the caster for 368 to 426 Frost damage and freezes them in place for up to 8 sec.  Damage caused may interrupt the effect.

Spell Steal-40% of base mana

40 yd range
Instant
Steals a beneficial magic effect from the target.  This effect lasts a maximum of 2 min.

Polymorph-7% of base mana

35 yd range
1.7 sec cast
Transforms the enemy into a sheep, forcing it to wander around for up to 50 sec.  While wandering, the sheep cannot attack or cast spells but will regenerate very quickly.  Any damage will transform the target back into its normal form.  Only one target can be polymorphed at a time.  Only works on Beasts, Humanoids and Critters.

Ice Block-15 Mana
Instant
5 min cooldown
You become encased in a block of ice, protecting you from all physical attacks and spells for 10 sec, but during that time you cannot attack, move or cast spells.  Also causes Hypothermia, preventing you from recasting Ice Block for 30 sec.

Blink-12% of base mana
Instant
15 sec cooldown
Teleports the caster 20 yards forward, unless something is in the way.  Also frees the caster from stuns and bonds.

Arcane only:

Slow-12% of base mana

35 yd range
Instant
Reduces target's movement speed by 60%, increases the time between ranged attacks by 60% and increases casting time by 30%.  Lasts 8 sec.  Slow can only affect one target at a time.

Arcane Power-2 min cooldown
When activated, you deal 20% more spell damage and damaging spells cost 10% more mana to cast. This effect lasts 15 sec.

Fire only:

Dragon’s Breath-7% of base mana
Instant
20 sec cooldown
Targets in a cone in front of the caster take 1195 to 1387 Fire damage and are disoriented for 5 sec.  Any direct damaging attack will revive targets.

Blast Wave-7% of base mana

40 yd range
Instant
15 sec cooldown
A wave of flame radiates outward from the target location, damaging all enemies caught within the blast for 851 to 1003 Fire damage and are slowed by 70% for 3 sec.

What to Trinket: Polymorph, Dragon’s Breath
Strategy:

Marks: These mages are much more squishy than their colder cousins due mainly to the absense of ice barrier. As a tradeoff, they have much more raw damage potential. Make sure to always keep concussive shot on fire mages to keep range as they will most likely be running at you casting scorch. Always be using chimera shot and silencing shot on cooldown and doing as much damage as possible to them. I like to avoid using serpent sting on these mages to keep the option of a scatter/freeze trap/aimed shot combo open (or just a scatter/aimed shot). Against arcane mages keep an eye on their buffs and try to tranq off the important ones like arcane power and mana shield. Fire mages have a talent that causes any attack which would otherwise kill them to instead heal them to 40% but then they get a debuff that causes them to burn for 12% of their health every second. Good mages will wait for this to go off and then ice block to get the debuff off to get a free heal. So watch out for this and don’t get cocky if you’re about to kill a fire mage. If they’re sitting in an ice block wait till there’s between 1 and 2 seconds left on the buff before starting to cast an aimed shot so that way it hits them as soon as they’re out of their ice block.

Surv: As survival the timing of your deterrence is extremely important, because getting them to cast a few high damaging spells back at themselves instead of at you will go a long way towards helping you win the dps race. Don’t bother with snake trap here unless you have it glyphed because one aoe will kill the snakes before they have a chance to do much. Other than using deterrence offensively, use the same strategies as marks here.
[aaaz] m. Feral Druid - Difficulty 9/10

Video Guide by Zumio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5rm6lScH44&list=PL47425EFB2BAF8886&index=8&feature=plpp_video

Feral druids are very very difficult if you come up against one that really knows what they’re doing. They have the ability to get the jump on you via stealth put a ton of bleeds on you and then shift into bear form to tank your damage while you drown in your own blood. They can also shift out of snares, but thankfully not roots anymore, I will show you how to use this to your advantage. Also, scare beast plays an extremely important role in this fight.
How to tell they’re feral: The leader of the pack buff is a dead giveaway here.
Abilities to know:
Pounce (Cat)-50 Energy
Melee Range
Instant
Requires Cat Form
Pounce, stunning the target for 3 sec and causing 2340 Bleed damage over 18 sec.  Must be prowling.  Awards 1 combo point.

Feral Charge (Cat)-10 energy, 8-25 yard range, 30 second cooldown. Causes you to leap behind an enemy, dazing them for 3 sec.

Feral Charge (Bear)-5 Rage
8 - 25 yd range
Instant cast
15 sec cooldown
Requires Bear Form
Causes you to charge an enemy, immobilizing them for 4 sec.

Skull Bash (Cat)-25 Energy, 13 yard range, 10 second cooldown(with talents) you charge and skull bash the target, interrupting casting and preventing any spell in that school from being cast for 4 seconds.

Bash (Bear)-10 Rage Melee Range
Instant cast 1 min cooldown
Requires Bear Form
Stuns the target for 4 sec.

Maim (Cat)-35 Energy
Melee Range
Instant
10 sec cooldown
Requires Cat Form
Finishing move that causes damage and stuns the target.  Causes more damage and lasts longer per combo point:
  1 point  : 1 sec
  2 points:, 2 sec
  3 points: 3 sec
  4 points: 4 sec
  5 points: 5 sec

Predator’s Swiftness (Talent)-Your finishing moves have a 20% chance per combo point to make your next non-instant Nature spell with a base casting time of less than 10 sec become an instant cast spell and cost no mana.

Dash (Cat) - 3 min cooldown
Increases movement speed by 70% while in Cat Form for 15 sec. Does not break prowling.

Cyclone-8% of base mana

20 yd range
1.7 sec cast
Tosses the enemy target into the air, preventing all action but making them invulnerable for up to 6 sec.  Only one target can be affected by your Cyclone at a time.

Entangling Roots-7% of base mana

35 yd range
1.7 sec cast
Roots the target in place for 30 sec.  Damage caused may interrupt the effect

What to Trinket: Pounce (if you’re quick), Bash, Cyclone
Strategy:
Marks: Scare beast plays an extremely important role in this fight, whether or not you actually cast it on them. A trick casters use called juking is helpful here. If you play a caster or are familiar with them you may already know this strategy. Juking is where a caster begins casting a spell that an opponent will want to interrupt then quickly cancels the cast by moving or hitting escape to try to bait the opponent into using an interrupt when they're not casting anything. You can use this against ferals very effectively.

We know skull bash has a 10 second cooldown, and it is also a gap closer. I always try to get the druid to use skull bash just to interrupt my scare beast when he's in melee range that way he can't use it as a gap closer once I disengage or master's call away. And the way I do this is with juking. If I can successfully bait the skull bash then I know I have at least 10 seconds to get away and shoot him or actually cast it before he can interrupt it again (if he’s in melee with you trying to scare him he’ll likely maim you, so try and get a bit of range first). He can still dodge my scare beast by shifting out, but now you can play a mind game with him. Do quick jukes to get him to shift out, now he's wasting mana and globals just trying to dodge your cast. Then if he stops shifting once he's caught on now you can do long jukes or even let the casts go off and try to actually fear him. Use your judgement, however, if he’s doing tons of damage to you then you obviously need to put priority on getting to range first before trying to be fancy with scare beasts. If I’m feeling snazzy, sometimes I’ll immediately trinket pounce and throw up deterrence and use the 5 seconds to lay down all my traps, sometimes this will catch them off-guard. Another option you have is scatter shot / scare beast, which works well if his trinket is down.

Yet another way to get a scare beast off in this matchup is by using your pet’s ability (or entrapment from ice trap) to root or stun them, thereby giving you time to get a scare beast off, as they cannot use skull bash if they are rooted.
Ice trap is obviously extremely important here as well, being as they can't shift out of it because it's on the terrain, so make sure you're disengaging across it and kiting them back and forth over it.
Wait for a skull bash or feral charge before using master's call to get out of infected wounds and get to range, otherwise they'll just be able to follow you.

If they go bear you won't be able to do any damage to them for a while because they'll just heal it back up with frenzied regeneration, but at the same time he won't be doing much damage to you, so if I can make a druid go bear my goal is to play defensive here until he decides to go back into cat. If he lets his bleeds wear off on me that lets me scatter / freezing trap and bandage up. I just try and top out my focus on bears to prepare for when they shift back to cat and use arcane shot only if I reach 100 focus. Sometimes I can bait a druid into shifting out of bear by juking a scare beast a couple times, this will either get you skull bashed or they’ll simply shift out, allowing you to get a shot or two on them out of bear form if you’re quick. Some druids may also just simply let scare beast hit them because they don’t want to lose the rage they’ve generated so far in the fight, if this happens you should use the 8 seconds provided to bandage up (if no bleeds are on you) or get to maximum range. Save your trinket for either their cyclone or bear bash because some ferals like to use the cc they have to shift out and put some heals on themself, so make sure you have your trinket for this so you can silence their heal attempts. Also keep in mind that stampeding roar will clear them of snares and roots. Dwarves also have an exceptionally easier time in this matchup, make sure to time your stoneform well.

Surv: This fight is easier for me as survival, as most ferals will not take the time to shift out to dispel your dots. Entrapment and a shorter trap cooldown also make this fight much easier. Make sure you’re always dropping ice traps on cooldown and taking advantage of entrapment to get some range and a few shots off. If they feral charge you that causes them to leap behind you, so to get a little extra range I like to jump spin disengage back to where they were before the feral charge because they’re now behind me. Also drop snake traps on cooldown for the entrapment effect, but make sure you don’t drop snake and ice trap at the same time, stagger them to fully benefit from entrapment.
[aaba] n. Balance Druid - Difficulty 6/10

Balance Druids are much easier than their angry feline counterparts. Think of a balance druid as a mage tank. IE, a mage with more armor but less ways to slow you. Balance druids will rarely try to get in your melee range to stop your damage because it’s very easy for us to kite them, which means fights will usually just turn into a dps race which we usually win because we have more ways to stop their damage than they do to stop ours.
How to tell they’re balance: Moonkin form
Spells to know:

Starfire-11% of base mana

40 yd range
3.2 sec cast
Causes 1214 to 1514 Arcane damage to the target.

Entangling Roots-7% of base mana

35 yd range
1.7 sec cast
Roots the target in place for 30 sec.  Damage caused may interrupt the effect.

Typhoon-16% of base mana

30 yd range
Instant
20 sec cooldown
You summon a violent Typhoon that does 1298 Nature damage to targets in front of the caster within 30 yards, dazing them for 6 sec.

Cyclone-8% of base mana

20 yd range
1.7 sec cast
Tosses the enemy target into the air, preventing all action but making them invulnerable for up to 6 sec.  Only one target can be affected by your Cyclone at a time.

What to Trinket-Cyclone
Strategy:

Marks: Balance druids are capable of pumping out very formidable burst damage, but a lot of this is dependent on their casts such as starfire and wrath. Because of this, you need to make sure that you don’t let any casts like these hit you. Balance druids like to hit you with a cyclone and then time their starfire to hit you just as you come out of the cyclone, so make sure you save trinket for their cyclone so you can prevent this from happening. We have many different ways to stop their starfires and wraths, silencing shot, scatter shot, feign death, deterrence, and any pet abilities that interrupt. So make sure you use one of these each time he attempts to cast something at you while going through your normal damaging shot rotation and you should be able to do more damage to him than he can to you. Snake traps are also effective here because of mind-numbing poison.

Surv: Same strategy here, I try to reflect their starfire back at them with deterrence while using frost and snake traps and keeping all my dots up. You may let a few more casts get through because of the absense of silencing shot, but reflecting their damaging spells back at them should make up for this.
[aaca] o. Blood Death Knight - Difficulty 4/10

Blood Death Knights are right next to prot paladins as the most annoying class/spec to duel as a hunter. If you stop their self-heals you’ll be able to kill them....eventually. The key to this fight is to minimize their healing as much as possible so that you’re able to eventually outlast them.
How to tell they’re Blood: They’ll usually have blood presence up, as well as not having a ghoul pet and healing themselves for absurd amounts.
Abilities to know:

Death Grip-30 yd range
35 sec cooldown
Harness the unholy energy that surrounds and binds all matter, drawing the target toward the death knight and forcing the enemy to attack the death knight for 3 sec.

Chains of Ice-1 Frost

20 yd range
Shackles the target with frozen chains, reducing movement speed by 60% for 8 sec.  Also infects the target with Frost Fever.

Rune Tap-1 Blood
30 sec cooldown
Converts 1 Blood Rune into 10% of your maximum health.

Death Strike-1 Unholy, 1 Frost

Melee Range
Requires Melee Weapon
A deadly attack that deals 150% weapon damage plus 330, healing you for 20% of the damage you have sustained during the preceding 5 sec (minimum of at least 7% of your maximum health).

Vampiric Blood-1 min cooldown
Temporarily grants the Death Knight 15% of maximum health and increases the amount of health received from healing spells and effects by 25% for 10 sec. After the effect expires, the health is lost.

What to trinket-Chains of Ice
Strategy:

Marks: Pet management is very important in this fight. Watch closely the death knight’s target while you’re kiting him, if he starts targetting your pet and attacking it, call your pet back immediately and cast mend pet because he is more than likely hitting your pet with death strikes to keep his hp up. Once you call your pet back now you should eventually be able to kill him as his cooldowns run out because he has nothing in his melee range to death strike. Just use normal kiting methods here to keep him at bay, make sure you save disengage for after he uses death grip so you can make a quick getaway. Keep widow's venom applied 100% of the time to negate some of the ridiculous amount of self-healing a blood DK will do. Silencing shot will also prevent him from using some abilities, most notably death coil.

Surv: Same strategy here, keep your pet away from him if he starts to death strike it. Keep an eye out for anti-magic shell (the green bubble), as this will nullify most of your damage as survival, so don’t waste any shots on him while he has it up.
[aada] p. Unholy/Frost Death Knight - Difficulty 8/10

Video Guide by Zumio: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3Pm-NZiKhM&list=PL47425EFB2BAF8886&index=5&feature=plpp_video

The other two Death Knight specs are for dps, not tanking, which will make the fight much more interesting than a blood Death Knight fight. These Death Knights are difficult to kill but definitely not impossible. They pump out way more damage than a blood death knight, but they can’t heal themselves for nearly as much. They also seem to have an ability specifically designed just to counter hunters, death grip.
How to tell they’re Frost: No ghoul, in unholy presense, and using a lot of Icy Touches and howling blasts.
How to tell they’re Unholy: Ghoul pet, unholy presence
Abilities to know:
Both Specs:

Death Grip-30 yd range
35 sec cooldown
Harness the unholy energy that surrounds and binds all matter, drawing the target toward the death knight and forcing the enemy to attack the death knight for 3 sec.

Chains of Ice-1 Frost

20 yd range
Shackles the target with frozen chains, reducing movement speed by 60% for 8 sec.  Also infects the target with Frost Fever.

Frost Fever-A disease dealing Frost damage every 3 sec and reducing the target's melee and ranged attack speed by 20% for 21 sec.  Caused by Icy Touch and other spells.

Frost:

Hungering Cold-40 Runic Power
1.5 sec cast
1 min cooldown
Purges the earth around the Death Knight of all heat.  Enemies within 10 yards are afflicted with Frost Fever and trapped in ice, preventing them from performing any action for 10 sec.  Enemies are considered Frozen, but any damage other than diseases will break the ice.

Unholy-

Ghoul Gnaw (pet ability)-30 Energy

Melee Range
Instant
1 min cooldown
Bite and tear at a target's limbs, stunning it for 3 sec and dealing damage.

Summon Gargoyle-60 Runic Power

30 yd range
Instant cast
3 min cooldown
A Gargoyle flies into the area and bombards the target with Nature damage modified by the Death Knight's attack power.  Persists for 30 sec.

What to Trinket-Ghoul Gnaw(if you’re quick), Hungering Cold, or Chains of Ice
Strategy:

Marks: Your cooldown usage here is very important. When he grips you make sure you have either disengage or master’s call ready to get away. If you don’t, then use deterrence to buy some time for your other cooldowns to become available. Unholy death knights are much more annoying to kite than frost death knights because if unholy’s have both of their unholy runes used then they cannot be slowed beyond normal movement speed, which means the only way to reliably kite them is with roots such as entrapment and crab pin. Frost death knights are easier to kite, but have more ways to deal damage to you when they’re at range. Your focus regen will likely be terrible during this fight because of frost fever, so use your available focus wisely. Silencing shot will actually prevent death knights from using a lot of their ranged abilities, so don’t be afraid to let one loose occasionally during this fight. Make sure you always know what escape method you’re going to use the next time the death knight gets you into melee range, and don't use multiple escape methods for one escape, ie don’t disengage and master’s call at the same time, choose one or the other.

Surv: I have a much easier time against these death knights as survival because most of my damage goes through their armor. I lead with a wyvern sting and launch a frost trap onto them to proc lock and load. I’ll start pumping some shots into him and then usually get gripped and chained, at which point I’ll master’s call and get back to range (without using disengage), if they get into melee again then I have disengage ready to use. Keep a sharp eye out for anti-magic shell (the green bubble) as this blocks most of your damaging shots as survival, so just get as much focus as you can from cobra shots while this is up and then get your dots back up when it goes away.
---------
[aaha] q. Hunter - Difficulty 5/10
---------

Other hunters are usually quite easy for me to kill, the trick is to go into the battle with a plan. A lot of this matchup’s difficulty will be based around the gear levels of you and your opponent as well as RNG (random number generator) (who crits and who doesn’t) and skill in using all of your available abilities better than your fellow hunter.
I should hope you know how to tell what spec your own class is as well as what abilities you have so I’ll skip these sections.
What to trinket: Scatter Shot (if you’re fast), Freezing Trap, or Intimidation
Strategy:

Marks: It’s obviously going to be a dps race here, so I try to minimize their dps as much as possible while doing as much as I can at the same time. When the fight starts I like to scatter freezing trap on the hunter. Once i start launching my freezing trap I immediately start casting scare beast on his pet (if visible). Now if this works you’ve just put him in a really bad spot, he’s frozen awaiting a shot of your choice, and his pet is incapacitated. As soon as scare beast goes off I start casting aimed shot, using rapid fire if it’s available, and following with a chimera shot. At this point you want to do as much damage as possible to him before he regains control of his pet again, which will be in about 4-6 seconds. Note: If you’re facing a BM hunter, don’t bother trying to fear his pet as he has multiple ways to get him out of it so you’re only wasting your time.

When my chimera shot goes off I usually wait a second or two to see if they panic and use deterrence, if not, I have my pet cast Roar of Sacrifice on me to make me immune to all criticals, which obviously significantly reduces the amount of damage he can do to me. If he starts hard casting steady shot cobra shot or aimed shot, wait till the cast is almost done and then feign death, this will help buy some time. I try to make sure I always have my cursor somewhere near him so that way if he does the same thing I can quickly re-target him.

If feign death is on cooldown then wait till his cast is about to go off and use deterrence, this causes him to waste a couple seconds casting the shot because that shot never did any damage to you. At this point you should be significantly ahead in the dps race having got off an aimed chimera combo on him before he had a chance to do anything to you and now it’s just a matter of finishing him off via arcane shots. You can also use scatter shot to let you cast either an aimed shot or a steady shot without getting interrupted as much. If he scatter shots you he most likely is trying to either trap you or get a cast shot off, in either case I find the best thing to do is to immediately trinket the scatter shot and strafe away from any trap he might put on you. Or if he’s trying to get a cast shot off, trinket the scatter and either feign death or deterrence to block his shot. If he trinkets your first scatter shot or freezing trap the fight’s going to be a lot more even because now you’re not free to get off an aimed shot.

If this happens, don’t try to fear his pet, it’ll only give him more time to dps you. In fact only try to fear another hunter’s pet if you have the hunter scattered or frozen, it just gives him too much time to dps you while you’re not shooting him at all. I find that a lot of hunters tend to forget about Roar of Sacrifice, which really is a game-winner here, so use it to your advantage. If he’s not critting you at all and you’re critting him normally unless you have terrible luck you should be able to pull ahead in the dps race. Aside from that just use feign death, deterrence, and scatter shot wisely and you should be able to defeat your fellow hunters. A couple last notes, against beast mastery hunters watch for when they use bestial wrath and counter it with deterrence and possibly even two deterrences. And lastly, you can dispel master’s call with tranquilizing shot, which is mostly useful in battlegrounds if an enemy hunter has the flag or something. You can also tranq off the spirit beast's heal over time buff.

Surv: My strategy as Survival against other hunters is a little different. Here I lead with a wyvern sting on the hunter and a freezing trap on their pet and then I run at him while using black arrow, and two explosive shots. If he starts to kite me a quick master’s call and reverse disengage is usually all it takes to get in his face. Also, most hunters won’t expect you to charge them which adds a surprise factor. Once I’m in melee I get a wing clip on him and start meleeing him. Basically my strategy here is to take advantage of my high dot damage as survival by reducing his ranged damage while my dots are ticking off on him by being in melee. Every time my explosive shot is ready I step out of melee for just a second so I can shoot explosive shot and then I get right back in melee.
This strategy lets you control the fight because you decide if it’s going to be a melee fight or a ranged fight, so you can shoot all your shots and then while they’re cooling down and dealing dot damage you bring it back to a melee fight to reduce the damage against you while your dots whittle him down. If he tries to kite you simply run at him with deterrence up or disengage forward and master’s call to stay on him. While in melee use all the abilities you can in melee, raptor strike, kill command, snake trap, ice trap (to proc lock and loads and keep him in melee) and wing clip.
---------------------------
[aaea] XIV. Arena
---------------------------

"Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt."
-Sun Tzu

a. The current state of Hunters in the arena

Hunters are the single least represented class in arenas. That pretty much says all that needs to be said about hunters in arenas at this point in the game. There are many many issues regarding hunters and their place in arenas, which I will not get into here. However, this is what creates the draw to the hunter class for me personally. When I play the class that is the hardest to play, I get a greater feeling of reward for winning. That being said, hunters can still have great success in arenas, but require almost perfect execution to come out on top.

[ahaa] b. 2v2 Common Compositions and Strategies

The 2200 rating requirement to purchase the best pvp armor and weapons has long since been removed from the 2v2 bracket. It is a widely agreed upon opinion that 2v2 is the least balanced of the three brackets. There are very few ways that a hunter can be successful in 2’s. In my opinion, if you’re going for rating, find another person and do 3’s and you’ll have much more success.

1. Double dps setups
In 2v2 I personally prefer to play with another dps class and attempt to burst down the enemy team, this requires a lot of dps and great cc to pull off. If you’re going double dps, you need to be spot on with your cc and interrupts if you hope to win. Take a look at you and your partner’s cc abilities and communicate when you’re going to use them and on who while coordinating your burst at the same time on the other target.

2. Healer Hunter setups
If you’re running with a healer, you’re going to need a lot of patience because games can be very...very long against other healer teams. Be very patient and keep track of enemy defensive cooldowns to find an opening to coordinate cc with your healer and get a kill.

[aaia] c. 3v3 Common Compositions and Strategies

3v3 is in my opinion, the most balanced and fun bracket in arenas today. Matches will rarely last a long time and are extremely fast and exciting to play in, hunters can also find some really good comps to play in. And don’t ask me why every team has cleave at the end...(I think that means it has 2 physical dps classes...) For a full list of silly comp names, see this post on AJ by Zergrushkeke. http://www.arenajunkies.com/topic/119777-the-real-3s-comp-list/

1. KFC
KFC (Kung-Fu Cleave) is the name for the comp with a hunter, an arms warrior, and a healer. This is a great comp because if you or your healer get focused the warrior has excellent peels for you, if the warrior gets focused he has really good defensive cooldowns to use, and both you and the warrior together provide excellent burst damage.

2. Jungle Cleave
Jungle Cleave consists of a marks hunter, a feral druid, and a healer. I’ve been running this lately with a holy paladin and it is a very strong comp. If we can string together a couple cyclones, hammer of justice, scatter, trap, and silence on their healer while coordinating our burst on one of the dps we get a lot of very fast kills, sometimes even before they have a chance to use their defensive cooldowns.

3. Beast Cleave
Beast cleave is a BM hunter, enhance shaman, and a holy paladin. This, in my opinion, is an inferior comp to KFC because a shaman has much less utility than a warrior in this situation and your cc is going to be fairly weak here. However, it can still work if you coordinate your dps well.

4. Thug Cleave
This is a hunter, rogue and healer. Similar to jungle cleave, instead of cyclones you’ll have blind and sap for cc as well as significantly more stun capability.

5. African Turtle Cleave
This is a very interesting comp consisting of a hunter, protection warrior, and a holy paladin. Obviously the goal with this comp is going to be relying on the warrior’s ridiculous amounts of stun and control options and all of you being incredibly hard to kill.

6. PHD (Paladin Hunter DK)
This is pretty much a KFC variant with a DK instead of a warrior. This is a great comp to counter caster teams as the DK is very hard for casters to take down, as shown at Blizzcon 2011 with a korean PHD team winning it all! Your CC chain should look something like silencing shot, monkey blind, freezing trap, scatter shot, healer’s cc, strangulate, hungering cold or ghoul gnaw (depending on dk’s spec).

7. HLD (Hunter Warlock Druid)
This is a good comp because your cc’s are all on different DR tables, so you can get a full scatter trap, silence, fearx2, cyclonex2 chain on the enemy healer.

8. RHR (Ret Paladin Hunter Rogue)
This is an amazing comp right now because of incredible amounts of burst damage combined with instant CC from each member of the team. Just went 18-3 with this comp the other day :D