Blizzard Knowledge Base and YOU (pt. 1)

Customer Support
There's still a lot more to do.

For example, this article suggests bypassing the launcher, which is no longer a recommended practice:
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=19820

That's more of a Tech Support issue, but it's still something to avoid.

Instead of cluttering up a thread that is looking for more general feedback, is there a place we could send specific changes to articles where it could be reviewed?
"Real men (and tauren) wear kilts" -- Pahanda
Have you ever used the Support Knowledge Base?
Poll ended on Aug 29, 2011
I believe Nevalistis has answered that one in the past. At the bottom field, where it asks if it helped, mark No then write in the field what needs to be changed.
I personally have checked out the Knowledge Base in-game for various reasons, And I do believe it is serving it's purpose. However, I do have a couple suggestions on how to improve the Knowledge Base for all players.

Firstly, I highly recommend taking out articles that are like duplicates to other articles. I have seen many articles that suggest various topics, But they all appear to be sharing the same information within them.

Such articles I'm suggesting are these ones below. These ones all listed below could be compiled into one article instead of having them in multiple articles.

Note: Many of the articles are in different sections of the Knowledge Base. I listed the part of the Knowledge Base they are located in for your convienience.

Account Security and Recovery FAQ:
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=30791&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2317

Account Compromise - What to do:
This article is under "Billing and Account Services"
Note: Duplicate article
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=30796&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2317

Account Compromise - What to do:
This article is under "Account Administration Section"
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=30796&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2691

My account is banned or locked, what do I do?:
This article is under "Billing and Account Services"
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20483&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2317

My account is banned or locked, what do I do?:
This article is under "Account Administration Section"
http://us.blizzard.com/support/article.xml?locale=en_US&articleId=20483&parentCategoryId&pageNumber=1&categoryId=2691

Those are just some of the various articles I located that are either duplicates or close to being a similar topic. For many of the articles that have different information, But cover the same topic, Why not have all of the articles within one article instead of several? This would be a great idea in my opinion and help your customers find the information they may be looking for a lot easier.

Possibly even adding a smart lookup system where you can find articles that pertain to your topic as you type in a keyword to find it if you decide to not search the entire database would be useful as well.

In other terms though, The looks and style of the Knowledge Base in-game are looking great and more professional. So kudos on making it easier in-game! =)
08/19/2011 05:48 PMPosted by Alvraen
I believe Nevalistis has answered that one in the past. At the bottom field, where it asks if it helped, mark No then write in the field what needs to be changed.

Yup! I've actually done that before and the information was updated within a few days. It may have been a coincidence, but still.

you forgot to add real responses.

None of the three you have there, would be right for me. I need the response:

"I tried once but it is totally useless, only giving the information that I already know and which was the first things that came up when I queried."

"knowledge", it is not.

Every real fix, that I've ever found, was always through another WOW user after doing a search in google.
you forgot to add real responses.

None of the three you have there, would be right for me. I need the response:

"I tried once but it is totally useless, only giving the information that I already know and which was the first things that came up when I queried."

"knowledge", it is not.

Every real fix, that I've ever found, was always through another WOW user after doing a search in google.

To be fair, you aren't being very specific. The knowledge base isn't exactly a compendium for every specific issue a user could experience. And the effort to make it so doesn't really offer a return when the information provided by the community in the forums and on third party sites is very good.

If the issues you are experiencing are very broad and common issues than by all means list them here so they can be added to the knowledge base. If they are more unique or specialized then you may want to list keywords that will take a person to the beginning of troubleshooting that issue and ultimately refer them to more specialized support.

Hm..well, generally I AM a knowledge base for stuff, and when I have issues, they're generally things that aren't in the knowledge base that require GM support (like this weird "ghost" item in our guild bank once...)

But I guess I should start looking through it more. It's like the Dungeon Journal. I'm so used to my normal sources for loot and such that I tend not to look there too much. (Well, that and most dungeons don't have loot that I/we want so much anymore that matters...)
I attempt to use it a couple times a year, but I hardly ever find anything useful.
Every time I've checked it, I got fed up and went to the forums. THE FORUMS.

I think that explains how I feel about the knowledge base.
The knowledge base isn't kept up to date. It's also not search friendly nor do the results present themselves in a clean, easy to read way. It's much easier to pick up the phone and call a friend or Blizzard directly for that matter. Usually, it's just annoying to use.
What about following a wikipedia format?
I use the knowledge base for all the clarification of the TOS and EULA that they have, not to mention the examples of what can be done and what can't be done. That sounded bad. I should say I report a LOT of people for naming violations on the RP realm that I play on. It is kind of nice to be able to point to which exact violation the person is committing... not so nice that the GMs don't understand why BritanySpears is not an allowed name. :(
my problem with this feature and the rest of the site features, are they are hard to find. Took me awhile to find the "realm status page" and finding the knowledge base is a bigger task. I really do not want to bookmark every useful WoW site page that I find useful.

I think the "whole" site needs re-arranging to allow easier access to these features. Everything just seems too cluttered and i have to go through a bunch of pages to get where I want.

as for the knowledge base, its a good idea, but like others have stated it is hard to find any useful articles that are updated to recent WoW.
I think one thing I'd like to see is a little more pro-active updating of the FAQs to cover, well, frequently asked questions that come up here because they're not as clearly or directly answered.

One example - World of Warcraft Starter Edition Account FAQ. It lists out what all the trial restrictions are, and yet doesn't mention below where it says someone Upgrade Online anything about the up-to-72-hour delay. Now, sure, it might not be obvious for someone coming here to ask to go look it up, but right now if they tried to the only option for "Trial Restrictions" in the Knowledge Base is exactly that article which doesn't answer their question.

The sheer amount of pain and frustration endured by the regulars in the New Player Help & Guides forum because of this one article is obscene. I can't emphasize how many problems it has caused.

The regulars in the Newbie forum want to help new players and we want to help those who are using trial accounts (TRIAL ACCOUNTS, not this Free-to-play nonsense that your marketing team came up with) but when the newbies tell us there are certain restrictions that no longer apply and other restrictions that were changed but never announced, we literally have to resort to making our own trial accounts to experiment and figure out what the actual restrictions are.

And honestly? That's pretty sad.

"Sorry, we can't help you because Blizzard hasn't actually announced the restrictions and two of us are alt-tabbed into WoW trying to figure out the chat restrictions now."

Right now I'm debating whether or not to make a guide in the Newbie forum detailing the actual restrictions and why those restrictions exist so that we can have a real resource for the newbies. We also get disillusioned players that think the game is unrestricted and truly "free to play" to level 20 trying to make suggestions to remove restrictions because they don't realize why the restrictions are in place (i.e. chat limits are to limit gold spammers) and once again, there's no resource telling them so we the posters have to explain it for the umpeenth time.

I was talking to @BlizzardCS earlier tonight suggested that reasons for the restrictions be added to the article.

At this point the Knowledge Base could disappear overnight and no one would care that much because it's so sorely outdated and...well, useless for the most part.