Bring Oceanic Servers to Australia

Oceanic General Discussion
Prev 1 12 13 14 25 Next
A long time ago Blizzard asked Telstra about Australian servers, and Telstra offered servers for ridiculous prices. This is true. HOWEVER- since then, multiple Australian data centers have spoken to and pleaded to Blizzard to host servers, and I believe some of them even offered data centers for FREE in order to get publicity and advertising. Blizzard has been falling back on this "we talked to Telstra and they charged too much" thing for years.

Here are a few quotes from Simon Hackett (co-founder of Internode):
"As already noted, we’ve wanted, for years and years to get Blizzard to put game servers in Australia (and I’ve made international trips in the past entirely driven by this purpose). Its obviously the right answer (for Australian players). Anything else is (obviously) a compromise. Leveraging servers in Singapore and hoping routing from Australian ISPs to Singapore is acceptable is a compromise."

“… its obvious that the best answer is in-country server facilities. If Blizzard wanted to re-engage with us on the notion of winding up with Blizzard server resources in our (extensively peered) data centre facilities, we’d be just thrilled. That door is still open, has been for years, and its not closed now.”

Source: http://delimiter.com.au/2010/11/09/australias-emissary-to-blizzard-simon-hackett/

The way I see it, we are never going to see Oceanic servers. Blizzard are going to keep saying "we're looking into it" until the day WoW dies, which we all know will eventually happen, probably not for at least a decade to come though. They're getting their money from us, and they're happy with what they're making, so why would they put the effort and possible investment into making our gameplay experiences better? Simple, they won't.

I would really like a blue post on this thread.
Found this thread and now I'm sad.
I only ventured into Azeroth in September '12 and got hooked.
having spent roughly 2yrs in star trek online, I was amazed I could play after 5pm (Adelaide) and not rubberband all over the map.
Now it seems that I shouldn't be taking damage if I back off out of mele range :O
the latency is all i know and now i'm told otherwise.
also makes me think my total noob skills might not be the on reason toons lower then me kill me so quickly.
I do love the emersive play, might go back to FFP models once my subscription ends.
seems i'm just a sucker to hand over cash.
Is 0.2 seconds really making the game 'unplayable' for people? I don't know if people are confusing 200ms with 2 seconds or they have that good a reflex that they can notice every millisecond tick over.

While it would be good to have that seamless latency I also don't feel what we have is that noticeably bad. It's just a waste of resources for them to set up such a network for such minimal gains. I personally would not be happy paying an extra $5 a month just for this, which works out to be an extra $15 a month for multiple accounts.

It's not as big a deal as you make it out to be.

RSPCA would like to have a word to you about a dead horse that continues to be flogged.
When you're trying to interrupt a .5 second cast having 250ms average latency puts you at a distinct disadvantage if you try and enter the high level PvP scene, in addition to this if you try for high level PvP that extra .2 of a second standing in bad stuff on the ground can mean the difference between a death/wipe or a successful kill.

Having said all of that there aren't that many people that quit over this handicap so Blizzard has no need to spend money just for the Australians quality of game play as long as we keep giving them $15 a month and putting up with the current situation.
Is 0.2 seconds really making the game 'unplayable' for people? I don't know if people are confusing 200ms with 2 seconds or they have that good a reflex that they can notice every millisecond tick over.

/facepalm

Another American...try 250 ms vs 40 ms or less. Try lagspikes of up to 2500 or more ms, Try 150-400m ms regularly.

While it would be good to have that seamless latency I also don't feel what we have is that noticeably bad. It's just a waste of resources for them to set up such a network for such minimal gains. I personally would not be happy paying an extra $5 a month just for this, which works out to be an extra $15 a month for multiple accounts.

You are alone in that.

It's not as big a deal as you make it out to be.

It is as far as I am concerned.
Guys

Blizzard does not seem to read the oceanic forum at all, they had MOP release time information up on this forum up until about 2 months ago. So im afraid our concerns or discussions may fall on deaf ears on this forum.
bump because i hate trying to do arena on 250+ ms as a rogue
So sick of Blizzards ignorance....
Yeah, if you could bring servers to Australia, that'd be greaaat. KTHX
I find it amazing, there is a massive issue atm with lag for most US players, due to issue's with AT@T and a few other ISP's, people are running trace routes etc, and it obviously shows their ping, and the range is 20-130 ms, yet with this problem their anywhere from 200-500+, now blizzard are responding to the posts(its getting pretty bid, is in tech forums) but we just have to suck up the min 2-250 -500+ on a daily basis.

Just shows where we as a gaming community stand when it comes to Blizzard, being there hasn't been a blue response to post's in here since 2011....
Just to add, there as been posts like this in the forums before(although you best be quick to see them as they usually get deleted pretty quick, am surprised this one has lasted this long!) people have come up with great, intelligent ideas over the years, and some less than average, then just the plain angry posts, The extra $5 a month was posted in the forums i think around 09/10( I could be wrong on the year) with a fairly big following, but again there was no response from blizzard!

I myself would pay extra, as I have used tunnels over the years, anywhere from $5-$10, but all i get is locked out of my account, due to Blizzard's "warden" picking up me logging in from different IP's (this is what tunnels do) so i gave up.

I love pvp, but the disadvantage over the years is getting out of hand, with all the new mechanics now, you hit the response from the enemies attack, but it doesn't register at the server, I have been limited over the years to only being able to play ranged, as even though I have a rogue( I did have a warrior but I just deleted him, as there was just no point) I can be sitting on top of their head, and its "Im out of range"! Or, if your running from them its the complete opposite, you are miles away from them, yet they're still pounding on you!

I have just recently(last year) got my "bloodthirsty" title (250,000 kills) and am only 2 achs from my battlemaster, which may not seem like much to others, but I have no hope in reaching the high end arena ach's, as my ping just wont allow it.
Riot are releasing servers in Sydney for lol, priddy sure blizz could do it if they wanted
Wow, been a while since I've posted this. Nice to see it's still got steam in the pipes.

I've learned a bit more since posting this, the problem is two-sided, really. Blizzard don't really want to put in the effort, for one. If someone walked up to 'em and said "give us this (insert reasonably low amount of money here) and we'll set up proper oceanic servers for you", they'd definitely go for it, but otherwise I don't see them going much further. In the meantime, doesn't hurt for us to continually attempt to remind them that it would be a profitable concept.

The other side of things is that Telstra are a scumbag corporation through and through. iiNet seem to be the providers with the best attitude towards customers, but sadly they run off Telstra's network, and are caught in the net (pun intended) of their problems.

For the record, some have said that there's no point setting up the servers because WoW will die one day. To this I say, Blizzard have, and probably will continue to have other online games. You know, that whole Battlenet thing they went to the massive effort of setting up. Doubtless they will provide another/a better MMO when the day comes that WoW does fall, anyway. Once the hardware is set up in a data centre, it's no big effort to change what's on it.
They have had that exact offer from internode on more then one occasion, They just have little interest in providing the service because as it stands they have a large enough community willing to pay for there current set up.
@ Sinnoh: Well, this kind of puts a whole different spin on things, doesn't it? I had no idea Internode were bending over backwards in an effort facilitate an Aussie server (they're a great bunch at Internode).

Now I'm kind of feeling 'dirty' - as though Blizz only wants our subs, but apart from that, we're nothing to them.

Not. Happy. Jan.
Blue post please, or look forward to losing all oceanic players, there already has been a lot of Australian hosted Private servers that don't require subscriptions.
The offer for Australian servers has been on Blizzards to do list since the beginning of wow and sadly they've left it almost too long.

We are Australian, we fight the Burning Legion, we do not forgive, we do not forget, Blizzcon 2013, expect us!

-Syn
Bump for justice.