Transmogrify and Void Storage Requests

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 17 Next
I didn't see it mentioned before, but will we get the chance to use the Void storage as a means to transfer heirlooms from one server to the next? (a collective Battle.net bank, basically?) Because paying $25 each time you need to move them from one server to the next has always been very steep
So, in order for us to use gear for an appearance tab we HAVE to spend 1000g to put stuff into the void storage so we can use it?

The only 2 sets i'll be farming is T6 and T7 for my pally, and as much as i want to use the appearence tab, i'm not going to waste 1kg for something i can put in my own bank in a netherweave bag.

NO. The Void Storage is for the people that want to collect and keep multiple sets of gear, but not have them clogging up their Bank slots.

In order to Transmogrify you must have both pieces of gear in your inventory. If I want to make my T12 Chest look like a T4 Chest, I need both in my bags or on my body when I go to Transmogrify. Then I can stick my T4 piece back into Void storage until I need it again.

If this is how it works then eww. I was assuming you'd be able to choose the items from void storage to use in the transmogrifier so you could keep items in void storage and just uase their skins without having to pay fees to take items out and stuff them back in.
08/18/2011 11:27 AMPosted by Elm
If this is how it works then eww. I was assuming you'd be able to choose the items from void storage to use in the transmogrifier so you could keep items in void storage and just uase their skins without having to pay fees to take items out and stuff them back in.

Yeah, I'm worried about this now too. Hopefully the Transmogrifier will have the option of using any piece you have in Void Storage. 100g a pop will add up pretty damn quickly.
I think this needs to be bigger than 80 slots to accomodate the number of pieces of tier gear out there.

T.5 - 8
T1 - 8
T2 - 8
T3 - 8 (if you have this)
T4 - 5
T5 - 5
T6 - 8
T7 - 5x2 (10 and 25)
T8 - 5x2
T9 - 5x3 (10, 10H/25, H25)
T10 - 5x3
T11 - 5x2
T12 - 5x2

So total = 121 pieces, 81 if you get just one version of the multiples. That's not including weapons, cloaks, belts, and boots.
08/17/2011 07:37 PMPosted by Zarhym
If we just gave you 80 more bank slots -- which is a monumental technical task as I said earlier -- we'd have to consider nominating you for "Hoarders: World of Warcraft Edition."

Don't worry, help is on the way!

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2010/05/17
So, I already know people who are starting to recollect gear in order to use the look of it when 4.3 hits, and the question was brought up..

What about old quest gear long since deleted/sold/sharded?
We can't go back and redo those quests, and asking for that kind of massive item recovery is kind of an insane thing to ask you guys to do.

So...I'd pretty much like to know if there will be a way we can get those types of items back so we can use the look of them. There are a few different ways that could be done...Allowing for us to use applicable gear if we attain it on an alt, adding vendors with old quest gear so that we can re-purchase it if we've already done the quests, or even if we haven't. Another way would be some method of players requesting old gear to be restored but that seems to be a major hassle.

Gear we can still get shouldn't be included in this in my opinion, old tiers and such. But while many will go for the tier set look, I'm sure some of us would prefer something simpler.

I just foresee much whining about it, as many of us have Loremaster these days, and never had nearly enough bankspace to keep such things. So if people could weigh in on this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

It's also worth noting that many people have acquired the tier sets along the way, only to delete them later when we lost hope for more storage. Is there going to be a way to recover that? Or will it be necessary to regrind those old raids to get the look of such items we had in the past?

I'm ok with regrinding old raids, the quest items issue is a good point. As someone who is a pack rat, I've had to gather things across alts to save what I want so Ideally being able to use items in banks of other characters on my account would be sweet but I'm not holding my breath on that one anytime soon.

I think they could do something like have vendors pop up here and there with items that have unique looks - maybe it's not the quest item name you remember, but it would have the same model. So that red bandanna I've been dragging around from Burning Steppes (forgot which zone exactly) could also be purchased at Izeer's Cloth Emporium.
Well, I could see wanting to keep

I agree its worthless why keep it your never going to use it I mean honestly If you have an attachment to a game enchant somethings wrong:|

Someone could easily argue "if you have an attachment to a game item something's wrong".

As to whether or not it's weird, maybe so. The whole 'one man's trash is another man's treasure' thing plays out all the time in real life. I don't think people are weird simply because they have different things they care about.

That's not what I said; quite the opposite, actually. I think it's a little strange that people can't see the "one man's trash" thing. I find it pretty easily understandable that someone would want to keep enchants and gems (especially on weapons).

Well I could see wanting to keep the enchants on weapons (since they actually have a visual effect.)

Fortunately, though, there's a simple fix. With the addition of Void Storage...

...they aren't removing your existing bank. Take all the stuff that doesn't have gems/enchants you want, put those items into Void Storage, and all the stuff you want to keep the gems/enchants on, just keep in a bag in your main bank.

That way, you have the storage you need (through VS) for most of the random trinkets and holiday stuff, and with those out of your bank, there should be enough room for you to keep your gemed/chanted stuff in your main bank if the gems/enchants are that important to you, and with the freed up space, you will also have room to keep some current level stuff in your bank too.

Now, if you get enough stuff to COMPLETELY fill out your bank with gemed/enchanted stuff (having taken everything not gemed/enchanted and put into your Void Storage), then...you have problems. :)
The reason why the Vault Storage won't keep enchants, items and the like is because, basically, it works like if you were vendoring the item, you lose it. The difference is that the VS will keep some kind of list of items you have stored in and whenever you retrieve one of them, it will take the item from the game files and give you a brand new copy of it. It reduces server storage which helps Blizzard maintain them clutter free.

At least that's what i think ...i'm a 100% NOT sure but sounds logic that, instead of keeping an item id for every single item every single character will be keeping it will just list the items.
I think this needs to be bigger than 80 slots to accomodate the number of pieces of tier gear out there.

T.5 - 8....
So total = 121 pieces, 81 if you get just one version of the multiples. That's not including weapons, cloaks, belts, and boots.

Do you really have all of those now, though? And, I'm sorry, but some of those sets were just down right ugly. For me, T3 was great, but I can't get it now, and T4 looks good. Beyond that I don't care. I don't need or want to re-get T9 or T10, and I've already replaced some of my T11 with T12, and won't go back and get those again either.

I don't have everything, being limited on space forced me to make choices, especially with the two or three sets of Wrath tier that looked mostly alike. However, I'd love the excuse to go back and collect each piece that is still obtainable. That to me is an interesting side game, much like achievements.
08/18/2011 11:09 AMPosted by Knilb
Part of this is due to technical limitations. One of the reasons we're able to offer so many more slots of storage to players now is because it's fairly simple data storage when we're talking item IDs. Throw in enchants, gems, and reforging though, and you have a lot more data that has to be stored.

Let's be generous here.
1kb or 1024 bytes per item. That stores the item id, the reforging, gemming and enchanting. Honestly if you can't squeeze that info into 1kb, I'd be surprised.
~11 million subscribers. 50 characters maximum per account.
550 million characters. Maximum. I'm being overly generous here in terms of storage requirements.

550m * 1024 bytes per item is approximately 525 gigabytes of data. That's to store one item per character.

Let there be 80 slots of storage, that's just under 41 terabytes of data storage.

You're telling me that at 11m*$13= US$143M MINIMUM you can't afford 41 hard drives?

Cheap jerks.

Its not space thats the premium. Its time.

Assuming 10 million subscribers store 50 items each.
Thats 500 million items / entries in their database.

Do you have any concept of how long it could take to sift through that many items?
my proposal:
can we, as a community, refer to Transmogrification as "Mog-ing" its easier to say and that way we are consistent in what its refered to

"i'm getting that nice B/C chest for for Mog-ing puposes"
"yeah i just got that new t13 helm, but i'm going to Mog it cause i like the t11 look more"
"1 sec jimmy is moging his gear before the battleground"
"i stayed up late last night and moged my gear to look like a bannana split!"

see, say it with me. Mog, Moging, Moged

Type MOG in your post if you agree!