New Character Models

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
...I'll quit if the option to use one isn't done in the New Expansion. They are such a small percentage of the art that goes on with this game. They have such a large impact on what changes in this game and are well worth the investment. It's ridiculous that Blizzard is still waffling on what they are going to do on this decision.
Ultimatums/demands in a game rarely work. Also art is not the only thing they need to adjust when making new models. They also have stated they want to becareful when introducing new models since a lot of players have grown to enjoy how their current characters look.
Character models -are- looking rather dated, and there are so many options to make things more. We've got a dozen hairstyles, ten faces or so, an 'other' depending upon race (earrings, markings, etc), and about... what, eight skin tones on average? It's all rather clunky.

How much model-tweaking are you looking for?

Eye colour! Why doesn't it get its own subset?
Hair colour and Complexion could really use a more nuanced option for hair and skin tone would be good. We've more options for channel colours than we do for our characters. I find that somewhat amusing.
Height/weight slidebars would be nice, for example. Some characters are shorter than others, and some are taller. Pygmy potions, giant grown elixirs, it all gets very silly after awhile, and this would be a nice addition.

As far as cat/bear models and the like, I think it'd be very nice to have a disconnect between the 'humanoid' model and the other one, rather than hairstyle A corresponds with cat look A. Be nice to be able to set up each one separately.

And let's not forget possible skins for the character. Tattoos would be a very interesting bit to include. Or scars.

All-in-all, I'd say transmog's great progress for customizing a character, but looking for further ways to improve is always a good thing.
Some people prefer having companion pets look better than them.
Blizzard has been taking this character model update like we want them completely changed. Most people just want the vanilla models to get a render upgrade.

Would be nice if the hands for many races and genders would not look absolutely horrible. It's nice that the Worgen and Goblin actually have knuckles and the textures don't look warped on the models.
Blizzard has been taking this character model update like we want them completely changed. Most people just want the vanilla models to get a render upgrade.

Would be nice if the hands for many races and genders would not look absolutely horrible. It's nice that the Worgen and Goblin actually have knuckles and the textures don't look warped on the models.

I don't know, it would be nice if we could pick buff trolls and maybe even non-hunching orcs.
I QUIT BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE HOW THE GRASS LOOKS OUTSIDE ORGRIMMARS GATE!!
So make it optional. If folks worry about game lag from the new models, they never complain when it's new pets, companions, or armor.
Updating existing character models isn't something we've been "waffling on." It's something we'd love to do, but the fact is the art team has finite resources. Updating the current playable race models to be more in-line with worgen and goblins requires much more than just increasing the poly count. There are more bone structures on the frames of newer models which allow for more animation options. In order to update older models, the wire frames have to change, which means a large number of existing animations and customizations/hairstyles would have to change.

It's much more of a massive overhaul than many players are anticipating. That isn't to say we don't want to do it, but it's difficult to justify delaying the creation of new art, models, and animations indefinitely to revamp old ones. And we have to make sure to do it in a way that doesn't give some players a feeling of detachment from the look they've had for almost seven years.
But I like my derpy weapon swings.
I understand where you are coming from Zarhym. I got my first degree in 3D animation and Rigging. But the way you guys respond to this question it does seem to come off as "not happening"

I mean when are you EVER going to have any extra resources not devoted to new art and content? You mentioned delaying the new stuff. But that reads like We can't delay so therefore we can't do it until we are able to but we aren't growing our art department and they have limited resources so we can't delay the current direction.

It will be a massive overhaul, no doubt. Only you guys can make the decision wether or not to spend a little money to make a little money. Thank you though very much for continuing the reinforce the fact that you see this request, and that you trully do wish it to happen. It lets us know we kinda are on the same page.
Updating existing character models isn't something we've been "waffling on." It's something we'd love to do, but the fact is the art team has finite resources. Updating the current playable race models to be more in-line with worgen and goblins requires much more than just increasing the poly count. There are more bone structures on the frames of newer models which allow for more animation options. In order to update older models, the wire frames have to change, which means a large number of existing animations and customizations/hairstyles would have to change.

It's much more of a massive overhaul than many players are anticipating. That isn't to say we don't want to do it, but it's difficult to justify delaying the creation of new art, models, and animations indefinitely to revamp old ones. And we have to make sure to do it in a way that doesn't give some players a feeling of detachment from the look they've had for almost seven years.
Zarhym, if I may inquire. Why would new art be put off indefinitely? Is the art team going to say, "Well, if we update the models, all the concept art and R&D for new art will be lost for all eternity never to be recovered"?

Why can't updating the models be put into the schedule somehow? I guess I've never been in a project environment where the push and pull of scheduling is like giving one spoonful of medicine to your strongest child and letting everyone else die.

Edit: not that that is what I am saying Blizzard is like, but I don't understand how things can be pushed off indefinitely.
I know it's a huge job. So start small: make it so we never have to look at the human male browridge again!

The second paragraph is like saying it is hard to justify revamping old Azeroth in place of higher level content, which you did.

Although I do respect that it is hard to do and I have NO IDEA what I'm talking about when it comes to game design. So I'll let you guys, the experts, do what do need to do.

My point being, please update the old character models because it needs it and should be worked into a schedule. Old Azeroth needed an update and you completely remolded it and added new quests/mobs, so I'm sure you can fit character model updates, which are also needed, underneath your belt!