The first Paladins

Story Forum
1 2 3 6 Next
A few days ago a debate started between me and my guild leader on the topic of wich race were the first paladins. I say it was the humans and she says it was the dreani.Am i right or is she?
The draenei. They had paladins/vindicators during (at least) the orc attack on Shattrath, while humans did not get them until after the First War.

Of course, there is probably some human paladin figure that could only exist if he came about before then, but the draenei are damn old.

Tyr (a titan creation) might be a paladin, but he is only said to have inspired them. Some constructs in Uldum use the light, but I don't know if you could call them paladins.
So Uther The lightbringer is only the first paladin in the game and not the lore?
09/10/2011 11:38 AMPosted by Tibérius
So Uther The lightbringer is only the first paladin in the game and not the lore?

Correct
Thanks for the info everyone :)
One of the four first paladins.

I think it was Tirion, Uther, Turalyon, and some other guy.

But yes, in game, not in lore.

The first five humans paladins were Uther the Lightbringer, Turalyon, Tirion Fordring, Saidan Dathrohan, and Gavinrad the Dire. This comes from the Warcraft II novelization.
Human paladins and draenei paladins are only the same thing for gameplay purposes. Just like tauren and, to a lesser extend, blood elf paladins.
09/10/2011 12:34 PMPosted by Williáms
Human paladins and draenei paladins are only the same thing for gameplay purposes. Just like tauren and, to a lesser extend, blood elf paladins.

How are human and dranei paladins different lorewise?
The Vindicators and Knights of the Silver Hand follow different codes of conduct and goals--the Vindicators have been shown to have a code more open to interpretation since their primary enemy is one with no morals or remorse.
09/10/2011 12:38 PMPosted by Alvalle

How are human and dranei paladins different lorewise?
The Vindicators and Knights of the Silver Hand follow different codes of conduct and goals--the Vindicators have been shown to have a code more open to interpretation since their primary enemy is one with no morals or remorse.

I'm curious about this. Is there anywhere where the Draenei code and their interpretation of the light is written down?
The first Paladins were draenei.

The first human paladins were the original Silver Hand. Tirion, Uther, Dathrohan, Turalyon, and Gavinrad.

Although, Tyr may be classified as a paladin, also. If that's the case, then he predates all of them by FAR.

I'm curious about this. Is there anywhere where the Draenei code and their interpretation of the light is written down?
Not explicitly, but it's shown during the Bloodmyst Isle quests that the draenei paladins don't operate under the same code as the Silver Hand--the Hand of Argus (which is, to my knowledge, the top echelon of the Exodar's Vindicators) holds a blood elf hostage and uses duplicity to glean information from him, and execute him without trial after he goads one of the Hand of Argus. Silver Hand paladins are much more up-front in their interrogations, and only execute without trial those who are obviously evil or irredeemable (such as the Legion or Undead).

The first five humans paladins were Uther the Lightbringer, Turalyon, Tirion Fordring, Saidan Dathrohan, and Gavinrad the Dire. This comes from the Warcraft II novelization.

Saidan Dathrohan is familiar, hes the Scarlet guy that was killed and possessed by Balnazzar. I have no clue who that other guy is, though I do remember it as a random name for the Paladin in warcraft 3.

Gavinrad the Dire was a random hero from the multiplayer, but he was also a minor character from the campaign. He is one of the boss heroes in the mission "Digging up the Dead", and has a few lines. The novelization of the mission (in Arthas: Rise of the Lich King) merges him with the other non-Uther paladins in the mission.
Gavinrad the Dire was the paladin who guarded the cemetery near Andorhal, where Kel'thuzad had been buried.
It depends on your definition of "paladin". If you define "paladin" as having only emerged from Human and Holy Light culture, then of course they were the first paladins. If you use the definition that has been gaining ground since TBC and apply paladin to any regimented holy warrior, Draenei vindicators do predate human paladins.
The first Paladins were draenei.

The first human paladins were the original Silver Hand. Tirion, Uther, Dathrohan, Turalyon, and Gavinrad.

Although, Tyr may be classified as a paladin, also. If that's the case, then he predates all of them by FAR.

Unlikely. The draenei have probably have paladins since not long after they left Argus 75,000 years ago.

Tyr is certainly younger than 10,000 years. Probably only 1,000 years. I wish I knew more lore about him, but, in terms of myths, he would be the first of the human paladins. Might be mistaken, but I believe he was one of the first real lore figures of the entire Church of the Light
09/11/2011 10:06 AMPosted by Aurria
Tyr is certainly younger than 10,000 years. Probably only 1,000 years. I wish I knew more lore about him, but, in terms of myths, he would be the first of the human paladins. Might be mistaken, but I believe he was one of the first real lore figures of the entire Church of the Light

Tyr is one of the titanic watchers. Not a human.