The first Paladins

Story Forum
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
Vindicator is not synonymous with paladin. They are listed separately in Velen's short story. Akama is a priest Vindicator in WoD. There are cloth, leather, and mail Vindicator items in-game.

"Per Chris, it's a generic title and profession"
    https://twitter.com/Loreology/status/402507528686538752
I realize this response is abit late BUT myself and a friend were talking about the "true" paladin spec. I always thought retribution to be the "true" paladin spec. The one that embodies the paladin more than prot or holy. Thoughts on some experts?
...There is no TRUE spec, all of them are TRUE specs.

Is there a TRUE form of Karate?

Retribution is for those who seek to bring justice to the wicked, purge the spawn of demonic magics and other infidels off the face of Azeroth.

Protection is just that, they wish to protect the meek, and keep order within the lands that their changes live in, no injustice shall act upon their watch.

Holy is for those who seek to spread the light blessing among the faithful, giving them the strength they need to continue, and bring them safety and comfort in these dark times.
Sunwalkers, Blood Knights and Vindicators are only Paladins for gameplay purposes. They have their own doctrine, and faith. The current Sliver Hand isn't the Silver Hand of old which had a unifying code and ideology. It's an inter-faith coalition.

02/15/2017 03:03 PMPosted by Fìsty
I realize this response is abit late BUT myself and a friend were talking about the "true" paladin spec. I always thought retribution to be the "true" paladin spec. The one that embodies the paladin more than prot or holy. Thoughts on some experts?

Hard specs don't really exist in lore, they are a gameplay mechanic, instead you just have favored combat styles. You could argue that Uther was Holy, and Tirion was Ret but they weren't really limited by that. Vanilla WoW kinda reflected this fluidity more by letting you have all of the spells and letting you invest talent points in whichever tree you wanted.
Shes wrong.

Draenei have Vindicators who have different rules and customs than Paladins.

Just because they use the same powers doesn't mean they are the same thing.
So this thread started in 2011, got necroed in 2014, now in 2017

LET THIS THREAD DIE ALREADY!
02/15/2017 06:07 PMPosted by Denona

We can't, Paladins have to preserve life.

*casts Lay on Hands*
For what it's worth, in Warlords, Drek'thar called Maraad a paladin.

Vindicator Maraad says: There's so many of them...
Farseer Drek'Thar yells: Don't you give up yet, paladin.

Since this is AU Drek'thar, yet still knew what a Paladin is, clearly shows that Dreanei used the term too.
02/15/2017 03:03 PMPosted by Fìsty

Each one embodies a different aspect.

Protection Paladins embody the idea of selflessly defending others.
Holy Paladins embody the idea of restoring the lost and fallen.
Retribution Paladins embody the idea of bringing judgment down upon evildoers.

Each one has its place on the scales of justice.
Since Humans and Dwarves were 10,000 years late to the paladin party, who had them first? Draenei, Tauren, or Trolls?
Well I have always considered Paladin's to be a Human and Dwarf only thing, the other races have different terms and different things....I don't consider Sunwalkers to be Paladins, they could have been the first Sun or Light thing thats somewhat close to being a Paladin...but I would say Draenei are the closet thing to Paladin's so I would say them giving how old they are.
02/16/2017 07:34 AMPosted by Threeslotbag
Since Humans and Dwarves were 10,000 years late to the paladin party, who had them first? Draenei, Tauren, or Trolls?

I do recall Sunwalkers being somewhat of a lost art, but I don't recall how far back they were.

02/16/2017 03:33 PMPosted by Gariön
Well I have always considered Paladin's to be a Human and Dwarf only thing, the other races have different terms and different things

No, Draenei also call themselves paladins. Vindicator isn't a class, it's a title, they are otherwise called paladins.

02/16/2017 03:33 PMPosted by Gariön
I don't consider Sunwalkers to be Paladins, they could have been the first Sun or Light thing thats somewhat close to being a Paladin

Tauren use the Light.

The Light is pretty much magical faith, when you believe in something enough, you can call upon the Light. Both Night elves and Tauren use the Light in persuit of their worship of celetial bodies.
02/17/2017 01:45 AMPosted by Ximothy
Tauren use the Light.

The Light is pretty much magical faith, when you believe in something enough, you can call upon the Light. Both Night elves and Tauren use the Light in persuit of their worship of celetial bodies.

So...they use the holy light, okay that just makes me cringe to the max.
02/17/2017 09:09 AMPosted by Gariön

You can't trademark a fundamental force of the universe.
02/17/2017 10:22 AMPosted by Hackbrew

You can't trademark a fundamental force of the universe.
Breathing air belongs to Humans and Dwarves only! Sure, others breathed air before them, but air breathing is iconicly theirs alone!
So...they use the holy light, okay that just makes me cringe to the max

Fraid to say, but it's been the case for a long time now. We've always been told Sunwalkers used the Light, from day one, they just got it from worshipping the Sun, rather than the Light itself.
02/15/2017 06:07 PMPosted by Denona
So this thread started in 2011, got necroed in 2014, now in 2017

This is a thread about Paladins not necromancers.

The proper term is Redemption (per the Paladin spell) not Necro!
02/17/2017 11:29 AMPosted by Ximothy
Fraid to say, but it's been the case for a long time now. We've always been told Sunwalkers used the Light, from day one, they just got it from worshipping the Sun, rather than the Light itself.

Yeah, thats just poor writing. Pretty cringe for those types to be Paladin's like 50% of Blizzard's writing.
02/18/2017 02:55 PMPosted by Gariön
Yeah, thats just poor writing. Pretty cringe for those types to be Paladin's like 50% of Blizzard's writing

I don't see the problem? Since WoW started, we already knew the Light was a matter of Faith, that's how the Scarlet Crusade was able to use the Light. Plus, trolls and night elves used the Light too, though their own faiths.

Why are taurens doing the same cringe? What's wrong with it?

Armoured warriors of faith is hardly a unique concept.
02/18/2017 02:59 PMPosted by Ximothy
I don't see the problem? Since WoW started, we already knew the Light was a matter of Faith, that's how the Scarlet Crusade was able to use the Light. Plus, trolls and night elves used the Light too, though their own faiths.

Why are taurens doing the same cringe? What's wrong with it?

Armoured warriors of faith is hardly a unique concept.

Because it does not really scream Tauren to me. It seems waaaay to out of place.