Starsurge musings.

Druid
Now, it's been a while since I've really played, been rather busy, but I used to understand the purpose of this spell. It was a hard hitting, relatively quick-cast spell with a knockdown effect. They balanced this with a 15 second cool-down so it couldn't be spammed. Ostensibly designed to help us out in PvP and add some variety to our PvE rotation, especially with the new eclipse mechanics.

Nowadays it's weaker than Starfire. The knockdown has been removed, the damage has been reduced multiple times, but it still has a 15 second cooldown (now unjustified in my opinion). Is there a reason the IS/MF proc can't just drop an extra Starfire on the target instead of the Starsurge proc?

I like the concept (originally) of the spell, but I just don't see how its existence is justified anymore.
It proc'd SS because IS and MF/SnF are usable in any Eclipse and Starsurge benefits from either Eclipse...it just works better.

Speaking of which, I got a 90k SS on my gamed-cast. Highest I've seen in a very, very long time.
If the planets align correctly and you are extremely lucky, you can get many (three) Starsurge proccs in a row.

Other than that, I think there's no point to that spell. Then again, I'm resto so luck and mileage may vary.
It's a luck only spell. sad we rely so much on it. half the time i dont use starsurge in pvp because I like to stay in solar.

lunar blows.
I've been meaning to catch up on this subject - so a hard cast star surge is less DPS than a hard cast.. what, exactly? Any starfire or just lunar eclipse starfire?
A hard cast Starsurge is the highest dpet of any of our nukes. It only slightly loses value with 4T12 because it is a significant loss in eclipse energy per second, significant enough to not warrant casting it outside of eclipse.
Still, even given a solar eclipse, is a starsurge GCD worth it instead of an instant non-GCD starfire proc?

The spell has lost it's uniqueness/utility. Sure it benefits from both eclipses, but is that really worth the 15 second cooldown? Is it even worth having at all anymore? If we lost Starsurge tomorrow (I think we lost it a long time ago, but I think that's clear by now) would we really miss it?
09/08/2011 12:26 PMPosted by Urobolos
with a knockdown effect.

huh?
Starsurge used to have a knockdown effect, that's part of the reason it's got a 15 second cooldown. Starfall and Starfire used to have a talented stun proc too.
09/08/2011 04:26 PMPosted by Tagartou
A hard cast Starsurge is the highest dpet of any of our nukes. It only slightly loses value with 4T12 because it is a significant loss in eclipse energy per second, significant enough to not warrant casting it outside of eclipse.

Could you please elaborate or link me to the relevant EJ material? Thank you. =)
I don't use EJ. Not a big fan of the discussion there. But all the relevant info is on themoonkinrepository
Now, it's been a while since I've really played, been rather busy, but I used to understand the purpose of this spell. It was a hard hitting, relatively quick-cast spell with a knockdown effect. They balanced this with a 15 second cool-down so it couldn't be spammed. Ostensibly designed to help us out in PvP and add some variety to our PvE rotation, especially with the new eclipse mechanics.

Nowadays it's weaker than Starfire. The knockdown has been removed, the damage has been reduced multiple times, but it still has a 15 second cooldown (now unjustified in my opinion). Is there a reason the IS/MF proc can't just drop an extra Starfire on the target instead of the Starsurge proc?

I like the concept (originally) of the spell, but I just don't see how its existence is justified anymore.

I agree that Starsurge has taken quite a beating since its inception, without any compensation. For a cooldown spell, the damage is noticeably lackluster, and the stars really do have to align for you to get a lucky 2 or 3 Shooting Stars procs in a row.

Is a damage boost all it needs? I would welcome that of course, and after we break 4p T12 in the next tier, it will be more worth using outside of eclipse again.