Please Remove Backfiring on Tinkers

Professions
As most engineers know, the profession is not very sought after. There is pretty much no draw, no high point, and no use of the profession. During Wrath, the profession gave engineers the advantage of in-combat skills such as the Nitro Boosts. Now the tinkers are too risky to use unless you want to wipe your raid or group or whatever. And a wipe is not worth running super fast or gaining a bit of survivability.

I know Blizzard probably did this so people were not forced to go Engineering to preform their best, but lets face it....people already do that. The threads on Elitist Jerks and other similar websites already suggest what professions each class needs if they want to preform their best in combat. Its unavoidable that some/most people will feel "forced" to be the best profession for their role and class.

And come on. It feels like a fair trade off. The other professions get to make money, create mandatory potions for their raids, and many other things. I, and many other engineers feel it its only fair, since we can't make money or consumables for raids or anything else useful, that we AT LEAST get to use our tinkers without the high risk of dying or wiping the group for a minor boost of speed or survivability.

TL;DR: Engineers would like the backfire portion of the tinkers removed so we can at least excel in battle...as we do not excel at making money, consumables or are useful in the tiniest bit.

If any other engineers out there feel the same way please voice your feedback, thumbup the post or whatever you want.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: A bit off topic but add some fun trinkets too. You can barely call engineering the "fun profession" any more anyways as it doesn't get as many toys as it used to. Remember the exploding sheep? World enlarger? Shrink ray? Even the shoddy flame turret! All those fun gadgets? We'd like some of that back. As of now we're just an inferior version of every other profession.
Engineeeeers.....we need something to make becoming an engineer worthwhile and interesting! Even COOKING...a secondary profession is more useful! We need to band together to right this wrong! Don't be lazy. Comment! :D Or taste my Goblin Rocket Launcher!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Eh, I dropped my engineering at start of 4.2, after watching boosts and chute fail more than work during raid or pvp situation. Also another thing that made my decision was not being able to use anything from the prof in rateds or arena besides the useless helm.
Our glove tinkers are our profession bonus, and they can not backfire. The parachute can not fail either.

The belt tinkers are just extra, they don't have to work all the time. Though, I would like the backfires toned down a bit. 80% of my hp is far too much for a Nitro Boosts backfire.
Some things I find useful with Engineering like the scope/gun/parachute.
You can make money with egineering, quite a bit actually.

I'll vote a thumb up for getting rid of the backfire though. At 525 Engineering you should be good enough to work out those kinds of accidents.
09/15/2011 11:26 PMPosted by Slanderous
Eh, I dropped my engineering at start of 4.2, after watching boosts and chute fail more than work during raid or pvp situation. Also another thing that made my decision was not being able to use anything from the prof in rateds or arena besides the useless helm.

See! This is exactly the reason the tinkers need to be changed! In fact the only reason I'm not changing professions is...well actually sever reasons.

1. I'm too lazy to level up another one.

2. This is my first character and I don't fancy changing my original professions.

3. The most important reason I am not changing professions! ....the goggles are extremely fashionable and match my clothes most of the time! :)
Some things I find useful with Engineering like the scope/gun/parachute.
You can make money with egineering, quite a bit actually.

I'll vote a thumb up for getting rid of the backfire though. At 525 Engineering you should be good enough to work out those kinds of accidents.

Oh I believe you. I made a ton when the new scope was released. But the other professions were already bathing in their own gold by that point. If some one wants to make money, they'll take the easier route.

Thank you so much for the feedback everyone.
I'm actually quite satisfied with where Engineering is now. Just look at where it was a few years ago... OMG i hated making ammo.
09/15/2011 11:31 PMPosted by Zonkizik
I'm actually quite satisfied with where Engineering is now. Just look at where it was a few years ago... OMG i hated making ammo.

Well the general population is switching over to more useful professions. I'm satisfied being an engineer...but its just not useful enough. Its not even that fun anymore At least we got stuff like the World Enlarger back in the day.

EDIT: Oh cool. There's a professions forum!
I'd like to see a trinket of worth other than the 333 Dragon one.

I have been and always will be an engineer. 4 of my 8 85s are engineers. I love the profession. I love the transporters for getting around, and sometimes the debuff is fun. The backfire is insane. I don't know why it is there.

The parachute is awesome and comes in handy often. The synapse springs are just another "use" trinket. Taking up more room on my UI. But better than nothing I suppose.

I dunno what else they could do aside from a fancy trinket. Maybe allow us to make strength ranged weapons for warriors... Something to make some money.
I'd like to see a trinket of worth other than the 333 Dragon one.

I have been and always will be an engineer. 4 of my 8 85s are engineers. I love the profession. I love the transporters for getting around, and sometimes the debuff is fun. The backfire is insane. I don't know why it is there.

The parachute is awesome and comes in handy often. The synapse springs are just another "use" trinket. Taking up more room on my UI. But better than nothing I suppose.

I dunno what else they could do aside from a fancy trinket. Maybe allow us to make strength ranged weapons for warriors... Something to make some money.

Well the synapse springs are something that every profession has their own version of, so its not really an advantage. The parachute would probably be more useful if I wasn't a mage....but it sure is very situational even when I'm on my Shaman. The other tinkers need similar treatment as the parachute.....treatment that doesn't involve killing us.

I can relate to ur love of engineering. 3 of my alts are engineers and I don't plan on dropping the prof.
Currently engineering is in a good place, with synapse springs being equal or better than other profession bonuses depending on your class. Everyone loved the engineering goggles, with the only complaint being that you can't 'add more stats' to it and make it equal to firelands and heroic raid drops.

I do believe the engineering malfunctions will go away next expansion. Unfortunately rocket boots will go away also, since they're simply too good compared to other profession bonuses. You can argue that engineering deserves to be overpowered to compensate for it's lack of money making ability, but you'd lose that arguement.
Other than the synapse springs, the tinkers are intended to be fun...not useful. The backfires were introduced specifically to keep the profession from being too powerful in raids and PvP.

That said, I do agree they need to adjust the malfunctions. Dying outside of combat as you "race" your guildies after a wipe is not fun. Having your shields fail as you solo a 5-man quest mob is not fun.

I think that there should be a 100% success rate (85% for goblins) on tinkers outside of combat since there is "time" to double check things. In combat, while not in a party, the failure rate needs to be nerfed 50% (to maintain the flavor of backfires for engineers).
Other than the synapse springs, the tinkers are intended to be fun...not useful. The backfires were introduced specifically to keep the profession from being too powerful in raids and PvP.

That said, I do agree they need to adjust the malfunctions. Dying outside of combat as you "race" your guildies after a wipe is not fun. Having your shields fail as you solo a 5-man quest mob is not fun.

I think that there should be a 100% success rate (85% for goblins) on tinkers outside of combat since there is "time" to double check things. In combat, while not in a party, the failure rate needs to be nerfed 50% (to maintain the flavor of backfires for engineers).

I think this is a very important issue so I'm gonna bump it.

The tinkers are intended to be useful. How is dying instantly fun? Its not. How is taunting every thing in a 1 billion yard radius fun? Its not. These tinkers have useful effects....nothing OP....but they have huge downsides. Not worth the use. No one uses the nitro boosts anymore. I remember seeing people sprint around Dalaran with them or dash out of fire in raids. They're far too deadly to be used this way.

Engineering was originally intended to BE to "fun toys" profession iirc. But its lacking in thta department too. The best new thing it can do in Cata is make 2 pets...but another profession can already do that too!

In Cata its proved to be:

-Lacking fun items.

-Dangerous for you and you group.

-Horrible at making money compared to other profs.

-And etc.

I and many other engineers would like to see an improvement for the profession. It needs to be either fun....or useful next expansion, because as of now its inferior to every other profession in every way there is.

------------------------------------------

I'd really like to see more engineers and even NON-engineers voice some feedback. I see people talking about these issues all the time. But nothing is going to change unless you guys speak up.
Never had my synapse springs or parachute cloak tinker thingie backfire, nor the cardboard assassin.

Back in WotLK, before my main here underwent his cross-faction surgery (GtBF), I had the nitro boosts on my boots- I legitimately have no memory of them never failing...granted I didn't really use them that often. I'm sure they did, and I'm sure they do a heck of a lot more now (hence the reason why I don't have them on mah boots). I also distinctly remember them giving a crit bonus, if I'm not mistaken.

Leveling the profession was a pretty fun experience for me. I didn't get into it to make cash money, although I admit it'd be nice if it did. I make enough gold from dailies and occasionally selling ore/bars to get by.

But just because Engineering isn't a cash cow doesn't mean it lacks use. Jeeves is great, I use it all the time. My mounts are BA. I chug mana pots like a frat boy during a case race, but I'll probably swap that out for synapse springs. My goggles are pretty nifty, albeit obsolete once I get raid gear. I just wish I could cater my wares to more than hunters.

As for the tinkering, a large reason as to why I have little-to-no tinkers on my person is because of the reportedly high failure rate. I'm not gonna risk being the cause of a wipe or unwanted attention just because I wanted to use some nifty doodad I can make. I think this says something about the tinkering abilities in general.

Engineering may not be as lucrative as other professions, and that's probably an understatement. I'd like to see that changed, but even if it isn't I won't regret leveling it to max.
I say, leave backfires in. They remind us that not everything goes perfectly according to plan. However, damage caused by backfires should never take more than 10% of your health away, that's just dumb.

I have had a backfire be useful. I was duelin a rogue and my boots backfired, won the duel because of it. I am quite sure somewhere out there this has actually happened in a bg/arena where it actually counts.
I say, leave backfires in. They remind us that not everything goes perfectly according to plan. However, damage caused by backfires should never take more than 10% of your health away, that's just dumb.

I have had a backfire be useful. I was duelin a rogue and my boots backfired, won the duel because of it. I am quite sure somewhere out there this has actually happened in a bg/arena where it actually counts.

I think the backfires should be removed in raids at least... too much of a liability and virtually NO circumstance where it would provide amusement.

And WHYYYYYYYY did the speed boost backfire have to be changed to a leak instead of shooting you up in the air? That was at least funny and survivable (as long as you had your parachute).
I don't mind when it backfire. The Nitro Boosts is a free dash that is fastest speed buff that you can use any time.I just wish they would make it so you can have it on you foot gear then your belt...Also it doesn't shoot you up if you are in an arena you can't use your flying mounts because they don't want player getting sucks or exploiting it.
Also on your other topic Bombmagic, I too think they should add more fun items to engineering like a chicken ray that works on friendly target would be nice and fun to use and to use cogwheels in more thing then just one head gear.