Epic Gems Prospected from Pyrite Ore.

Professions
The cost of Pyrite ore is usually that of regular Elementium ore. 40-50g on most realms.

Why even have it if it doesn't have a chance to drop a good gem? The Superior gems are 7%. The only thing good it can drop is a Infero Ruby which is 7%.. Come 4.3 when Epic gems are out, No1 will even be using Inferno ruby's that much.

It's a special ore, and it needs to drop a special gem. We have elementium if we want the Superior gems.
Actually, I think the drop rates for rare gems are better with pyrite then elementium, just like elementium is better than obsidium. Though at 40-50 gold a stack, I would be cleaning house on pyrite since it also drops volatile earth which for me sells in the 10g range. So right there, the earth breaks you even on the cost of the ore, essentially making the gems free.
They have it for making things out of it, Pyrium things. Not everything needs to be a direct income source for JCs.

You might just as well ask why have Cinderbloom, you get no gems at all out of that, it's useless!
They have it for making things out of it, Pyrium things. Not everything needs to be a direct income source for JCs.

You might just as well ask why have Cinderbloom, you get no gems at all out of that, it's useless!

The point is, pyrium itself is only used in a very small number of recipes. Truegold only uses 3 bars, and has a one day cooldown.

The ONLY things that can be made directly from pyrium are shield spikes, weapon chains, and belt buckles. They are like enchanting mats for 1.5 slots. No one uses the shield spikes, the weapon chains are pvp only for only 2-3 classes, and the volatile earths are the most expensive part of the belt buckles.

If it is impossible to prospect epic gems from them, pyrium ore will truly become virtually worthless.

Cinderbloom, however, can be used to make the same level of pigments as higher herbs by incriptionists, is used in 2 of the 4 useful flasks, and is the primary reagent in volcanic potions and several others.

A miner/jc gets almost no value from pyrium except... a few extra blue gems which will be useless come 4.3.
09/23/2011 08:52 PMPosted by Kanaroko
a few extra blue gems which will be useless come 4.3.

I was working under the assumption that the gear from the three new 5mans, three raid difficulties, and a new PvP season would have sockets.

Have you heard otherwise?
you get volatile earth from pyrite, helping make the buckles.
I saved up 5000 pyrite ore and 160 Tokens on my alt expecting it to be the same as it was in wrath.
40-50g a stack on your realm? be right there, cause over here its about 170-200g
bump
Looks like aside from raids, you'll be able to get Epic Gems through transmutes and a new recipe. However nothing about prospecting has been determined. Not supposed to list datamined sources but if you know where to look you can go see for yourself.
09/28/2011 06:50 AMPosted by Sorelai
Looks like aside from raids, you'll be able to get Epic Gems through transmutes and a new recipe. However nothing about prospecting has been determined. Not supposed to list datamined sources but if you know where to look you can go see for yourself.

Looking through the datamined information, can you tell if we're gonna need to do a quest for the red epic transmute, like Wrath, or if it will just be trained like all the others? From what little I saw, it wasn't clear.