Heirlooms

General Discussion
Prev 1 44 45 46 51 Next
ITT: People blaming blizz for not caring when they are too lazy to just go level new toons the old fashioned way, or too cheap to shell out the $25.

Not saying i wouldn't appreciate a cross-realm BoA mail system, but it isn't something to get upset over, especially since it really is something that has never been included in-game (cross-server anything is still quite new).

There are plenty of other things that time could be sent on that would be far more interesting, fun and enjoyable. I can understand development of this system not being top priority since it is everything else about the game that people bother to play at all anyway. When it comes it some, if not, oh well, its not like we're losing anything by it not being there.
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
I honestly don't buy the "It's a technical limitation" line. They can flag an account to have pets sent to each character when it's made, something similar can be done with BoA's, they just don't necessarily see it as important. "Technical Limitation" = "Not on our agenda"

What you're describing are two incredibly different mechanics which require very different technical solutions. Yes, we can mail you an item to every existing character on your Battle.net account. But purchasing a BoA item doesn't result in the item being mailed to your character; nor should it, as we're not going to mail every character a BoA item you've purchased on one character. The reason you might not accept the fact we call this a technical limitation seems to be because we fundamentally disagree about how the system should work.

Why not make it so when you purchase an item, you aren't buying the item right then and there, but you are "unlocking" it for the account.

You have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

It stands to reason that if you simply stopped looking at BoAs as an item in a character's bag, and rather looked at it as an account item, this would be a much simpler process. I don't see any reason that BoAs would behave differently than the x-53 rocket, for example. When you're awarded a rocket, you simply have to log into the website and choose which character you want the rocket to go to.

If BoAs worked in a similar fashion, the transfer of BoA gear could be done through the website itself, rather than in game. You log into your battle.net account, select which of your characters you want to have the shiny new leather boa helm, and accept. When you log into that character, you have in game mail containing your BoA helm, and the world continues spinning. No cross-server mail, no risk of economical exploitation, no devs doing a /facedesk drumroll when people have a hard time typing in the correct name to send the mail.

People clearly do care about the lack of BOA mobility and they're perfectly entitled to, especially when all the toon slots on their favourite server were full years ago. Most BOAs were designed to enhance the levelling process. Fat lot of good they are then if we can't access them for that purpose. This issue has been raised many times before. The fact that we've seen no progress on the ground to resolve it these past several months does not instill confidence.
I find it interesting how we can do battlegrounds, dungeons and now raids with folks from other servers, yet we cannot interact with our own characters on other servers. This specifically pertains to BoA items and the like.

If I might offer a solution; I think Void Storage holds some promise here. Specifically, my suggestion is to integrate 'Tabs' to void storage -- semi similar to how regular banks offer bags. In essence, each character that has purchased/activated void storage on my account would have one tab where Bind on Pickup (unique-bound) items can be stored. Another tab would be for account-bound items such as heirlooms.

EXAMPLE: Say I have my main, Throdown, who has some BoA gear on his person. I want to send this gear cross-server, cross-faction to my rogue alt, Rahzar. As long as Rahzar has void storage, he can access this gear once Throdown has placed the BoA gear in the proper tab.
03/18/2012 03:04 PMPosted by Nevros
People clearly do care about the lack of BOA mobility and they're perfectly entitled to, especially when all the toon slots on their favourite server were full years ago. Most BOAs were designed to enhance the levelling process. Fat lot of good they are then if we can't access them for that purpose. This issue has been raised many times before. The fact that we've seen no progress on the ground to resolve it these past several months does not instill confidence.

People cleary do not understand how to not necro threads....
03/20/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Drumith
People cleary do not understand how to not necro threads....

Well, the topic is still relevant so I don't think it's such a bad thing.
ME BLIZZ ME WANT MOAR MONAY NAWM NAWM NAWM. haha.
10/05/2011 11:41 AMPosted by Zarhym
Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

You could treat it like buying a key - buying access to a cubby hole in an account-wide bank that already contains that item. You purchase access to it, and you could check it out on one toon and check it back in for another to use. This also helps heirloom users to properly enchant their heirlooms without mailing them all over hell and back.

I would also make so that if the item were 'checked out' you could mouse over it to see which of your characters/wherever has it.
you have to earn the ability to purchase each BoA item. You're not unlocking access to a BoA item which can then be duplicated for every character on an account. You're buying one item. But, that item can be given (not duplicated) to any character on the same account and realm via the in-game mail. What we want to build into Battle.net is the ability for this type of item to be mailed to any character on your account, regardless of realm. Such a system does not exist yet and provides a weighty technical challenge -- we need to make sure there are no adverse effects to making in-game mail cross-realm. For instance, just because we want you to be able to send BoA items to any character on your account, regardless of realm, doesn't necessarily mean we want to open Pandora's box by allowing anyone to mail anything not BoP cross-realm.

Spend justice points -> Earns an unlock of said item
Buy that unlock -> The unlock goes away
Repeat. You can only buy the item once but on anyone you want by some sort of unlock system. Make it happen.
03/20/2012 11:01 AMPosted by Powerfist

Actually, its been beaten to death with a broken stick because we have a largely impatient and needy population of players.

Its not necessary to keep bringing it up. Blizz knows we want it and they want us to have it. Figuring out how to make it work is the part they're on. They'll get there when they get there.
They need to change the name BOA. Its not boa...its bos (bind on sever)
well with the ability taht we are going to have account wide mounts and pets we shall see how they do these and see if there is a way to incorporate that with heirlooms
Why not make a Herloom Storage bank (kinda like the void storage) that all characters have access to accross your account. seems that could potentialy fix the issue?
I like the idea.

Why not.
Add an account wide table, counts for each heirloom item.
You unlock the ability to purchase BOA items on one character and then are given two options. One is to purchase the item and receive the item, which can be used by that character or mailed to another on that server. The other is to purchase a 'token' to obtain the item at a later date. This token is not a physical object, but is rather a count for each heirloom item. At this point you go to an vendor and ask to obtain that BOA in exchange for that token which is account wide.

Unsure of what security risks this provides, but this is just my way to circumvent the problem.
Add an account wide table, counts for each heirloom item.
You unlock the ability to purchase BOA items on one character and then are given two options. One is to purchase the item and receive the item, which can be used by that character or mailed to another on that server. The other is to purchase a 'token' to obtain the item at a later date. This token is not a physical object, but is rather a count for each heirloom item. At this point you go to an vendor and ask to obtain that BOA in exchange for that token which is account wide.

Unsure of what security risks this provides, but this is just my way to circumvent the problem.

actually that is not a bad idea. right now as it stands with referral rewards you can choose your toon that you want it on. with your idea you can go and buy it and it will give the option to give it to that toon or given to the account in which you have to go to your profile and choose which one gets it

Actually, its been beaten to death with a broken stick because we have a largely impatient and needy population of players.

Its not necessary to keep bringing it up. Blizz knows we want it and they want us to have it. Figuring out how to make it work is the part they're on. They'll get there when they get there.

Do you think Blizz will applaud you for dissuading players from voicing their current concerns? It's called Feedback. If everybody stopped bringing up the old complaints, things might never get fixed. The fact that they are OLD complaints gives them more negative impact. I am simply explaining one of the things which seriously pisses me off about this game - having to keep mailing my tabard and whatnot to other characters when I switch.

It was my honest opinion given sincerely in the hope that if they finally do something about it, the game experience can be improved for all. It is people like you who complain about us complaining who actually create impediments to game development. The fault that this topic is old is most certainly not mine. Let's get that straight. While they are busy creating the next best thing, it is the missed opportunity of minor improvements that can see players leave.