Heirlooms

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 51 Next
I just don't see why you guys don't like the idea of mailing them to each toon. Sure, it's messy, but i don't see how it's better than nothing, unless you want more people transfering toons. If it means i can have BoAs, i can live with deleting an extra 5 mails on a new toon.. I already get spammed by 3-4 pets anyway.

Look, we know people want to be able to send the BoAs they've earned to any character on their account. We want the same. But we have no intention of fundamentally changing the reward system just to work around the limitations of the current mail setup. The way a BoA item is obtained on a per-character basis shouldn't be trivialized just for a "quick fix." Not to mention that, even changing the BoA reward system to unlock for all of your characters an item you've purchased on one of them, would still be much more than an insignificant development undertaking.

This is how it needs to work (which is no different than the current functionality, with the exception of the cross-realm feature):

1) You earn the required currency to purchase a BoA on a character.
    2) You then have the ability to send that BoA to any character on your account with no realm or faction restriction.

In order to do that, some level of integration of in-game mail needs to be made so the system is cross-realm. Such a system doesn't exist. The WoW in-game mail system was designed from the start to be a realm-specific thing and has no "communication" across realms. That's what we need to change via some complicated programming -- like I said before, we don't want a symptom of implementing this feature to be that in-game mail is no longer realm-specific. Rather, we need a way for you to send yourself an item from one realm to another, but make that an exception to all existing rules/limitations of the current mail setup.

Exactly what i was hoping for O.o.. Not expecting that.

i<3u, Z.

edit:

And seriously, thanks for taking the time, and putting up with my (our) qq. I know you basically said the same thing, but wording makes all the difference.
Yeah i cant even find the BOA vendors in like any city. Ive looked everywhere does any1 no where i can find them like general area per say.
Customer service has everything to do with managing expectations. On this issue I feel Blizzard has done a poor job.

If people are making wild guesses or jumping to conclusions or whatever(tin foil hat), that is on Blizzard more than it is on players who have been baited along and kept in the dark for 2 years on this issue.

I call bull on this. They've been saying the same story all along: That they want an in game, cross server mail system. The problem is that the infrastructure doesn't exist yet. The problem is getting enough dev cycles out of the Battlenet team when they aren't completely buried under SC2 and D3. They are working on it, but they do not know when it will be completed.

This is what they've said. Repeatedly.
10/05/2011 01:14 PMPosted by Thrinna
Yeah i cant even find the BOA vendors in like any city. Ive looked everywhere does any1 no where i can find them like general area per say.

They're generally right next to JP and VP justice vendors. For specifics, you might want to try asking in trade*, as it varies between cities.

*some people might lie to you, because they're jerks.

Can you see the difference between us mailing every single character on your account on every single realm an item, versus allowing you to mail a single item to any character on your account on any realm? It's a very big one as far as programming is concerned.

We (well, at least I know) that it would take many hours of technical work to achieve this, depending on the method used, but there are already things implemented that can be used as a baseline/grid.

One being the pet retrieval someone mentioned earlier. However, most of these all-account pets require a CD-Key of some sort outside of the game, and BoA certainly cannot be purchased outside of game, nor do people actually want to buy someothing in-game, be given a "code" instead of an item, then place said "code" into your battle.net account info. You COULD do this, (buy a "code" with said justice/honor points and enter it in account) but its not practical and can lead to RLT.

The way that I propose that it should be done is with a pre-existed requirement that is ALREADY implemented in the game.

You need to have one level 55 in order to make a death knight on ANY server. Once you have a 55+, it is available on any server. The only thing you would have to change is the requirement (among other things), and the result.

If(level55) => Death unlocked unlocked all servers
If(boa purchased) => BoA unlocked all servers

I'm SURE it's a little bit more complicated than sticking 2 lines of text into a pre-existed code, and it would require adding in npcs that hand out the unlocked BoAs after purchased once, but the data is there. I don't know the exact coding the game uses to determine the level requirement for unlocking death knight, I'm assuming it is a "check if" any character on the server is 55+. The hard part would be for the code to check the gear currently on each of those characters, as it would require constant refreshing/rechecking of every character frequently to see any updates.

I'm not saying that it's easy, what I'm trying to say is perhaps the develops can work off of a pre-existing design and work off of that, if they still haven't figured out any ideas/solutions to this dilemma that the community wants, and what the developers wish to do, but are unsure on what approach to take.

I have a bunch of good ideas, hit me up if want me Blizz =P.
Customer service has everything to do with managing expectations. On this issue I feel Blizzard has done a poor job.

If people are making wild guesses or jumping to conclusions or whatever(tin foil hat), that is on Blizzard more than it is on players who have been baited along and kept in the dark for 2 years on this issue.

I call bull on this. They've been saying the same story all along: That they want an in game, cross server mail system. The problem is that the infrastructure doesn't exist yet. The problem is getting enough dev cycles out of the Battlenet team when they aren't completely buried under SC2 and D3. They are working on it, but they do not know when it will be completed.

This is what they've said. Repeatedly.

You really believe that this has been worked on for 2 years with no results and no possible due date?
Hey Zarhym,

Would a system sort of like the shared stash for diablo 3 maybe work? like making an account bound bank tab every character has access to? so you put your heirloom/account-bound items in that bank tab (which would be the shared stash) which would allow your other characters to take them out?

Or maybe the D3 auction house type system, where you put the items in your bank tab then go to the battle.net site and post it for trade between account characters?

Not sure how much work that would require for i know nothing about coding and strange server loads like that =D just a thought!
I'm no programmer by any means, but if this has to be an in game mail system as clearly already established. Why not implement a "Name-Realm" system like is done when whispering to members on a different realm during a bg or dungeon?
I totally understand that blizzard wants to do things the right way, but at the same time, waiting until the last xpac of wow isnt exactly the right way to implament this system either. Am I making sense here? people just want to see ....... somthing. Im waiting years for cross realm boas... how many years are left in wow at all? its going on far to long now.

Who ever said it wasn't going to happen until the last xpac? We don't even know what the last xpac will be yet.

And seriously... how earth shattering is this to begin with? Oh no, I have to actually level my characters on a different server the long way... (sure they've nerfed all the experience needed to level, but I want to level FASTER!!!).

10/05/2011 01:20 PMPosted by Trucqulent
yea but if the system dosnt come out until the very last xpac.... again, the same old story really is getting old. this is going on for years now.

Again... why the need to set this up in such an alarmist way? ZOMG... it's not going to happen til the last xpac!!!

*some people might lie to you, because they're jerks.

"Some." That figure is probably around 90% or so. Welcome to world of denigrationcraft.

Our community has never really been renowned for it's maturity. Half of me wonders if Blizzard doesn't take that for granted so the community believes them when they say it's super hard to get one database to talk with another.

Sorry I'm being facetious, if there's still any Blizzard guys reading in here, but being realm limited on boa gear is something I've been irritated with for quite some time.
10/05/2011 01:23 PMPosted by Elrondd
I'm no programmer by any means, but if this has to be an in game mail system as clearly already established. Why not implement a "Name-Realm" system like is done when whispering to members on a different realm during a bg or dungeon?

Because there's a huge difference between sending a simple text string to someone else's game client versus removing an item record from the database(s) that support realm A, moving that record to a completely different database(s) that support realm B and ensuring nothing screwed up and that it arrived at its intended target.
10/05/2011 01:23 PMPosted by Elrondd
Because that's the chat system, not the mailing system. Chat and mailing are different things. Namely, chat is probably less complex.
Maybe this has been said already as i don't feel like reading every post. Does anyone subscribe to the idea that paying to transfer a toon or two is more in Blizzard's interest? I'd honestly believe that the majority of players would rather do that only because it is much easier than leveling a toon without BoA's. With that said, not being able to mail them makes paying to transfer a toon much more enticing. They would infact lose more money paying tech's to make BoA's cross realm than they would ignoring the people that don't have the money to transfer toons. Hope that makes cents =X
Hey Zarhym,

Would a system sort of like the shared stash for diablo 3 maybe work? like making an account bound bank tab every character has access to? so you put your heirloom/account-bound items in that bank tab (which would be the shared stash) which would allow your other characters to take them out?

Or maybe the D3 auction house type system, where you put the items in your bank tab then go to the battle.net site and post it for trade between account characters?

Not sure how much work that would require for i know nothing about coding and strange server loads like that =D just a thought!

There's an idea! Make the banks bigger and just make the a battle.net (game) bank then you don't have to worry about the mail issues. Some of you people are friggin' genius!