No more accents/symbols for new names in 4.3

General Discussion
1 2 3 23 Next
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/3608419/Public_Test_Realm_Patch_43_Notes-9_27_2011#blog

All North American realms in patch 4.3 will no longer allow people to use accents over their names and guild names. People who already have accents will get to keep them, so this just stops future names.

Think this will stick, or get changed?
...ugh... can't believe I'm on the fence about this...

What about someone wants to use the (legitimate) name Renée?
Khaz'goroth is oceanic, so i'm excluded.

Suckers.

I kid, I kid.

Yeah, it's kind of unfair to some people, but honestly, 99% of people just use accents where they really don't belong, and it makes my eyes hurt when I see some of the names they come up with.
Weird change.. But W/E
Guess people would have to move off the NA realms after 4.3 or quickly fill up names they want with accents before the patch on realms where the names are not taken yet.

At the very least this will stop a billion versions with sephiroth, goku, and the ilk with accents that make no sense other then to let them have names your not normally allowed to have or normally is taken already from being created.
Whew I made it in
Good point!

Yeah, it's kind of unfair to some people, but honestly, 99% of people just use accents where they really don't belong, and it makes my eyes hurt when I see some of the names they come up with.
Oh, I totally agree.

For every name that could genuinely use an accented character, you have at least 50 accent-filled bastardizations of other names/phrases/etc.

Which is why I'm so torn by this.
I wonder how many people will rush to create their crazy names before 4.3 drops.
It used to be special characters weren't allowed and I'm kind of glad for the change mostly because I hate having to figure out someone's damn alt code to get mail to them or to friend them or what have you. XD

Make it now.

I'm kind of glad about it. They're annoying to type and I'm tired of seeing 10 different renditions of the same 2 or 3 names.
too bad it doesnt effect the names already in. Give them all a name change!
I hope they open up names then, if a toon is under lvl 60 and hasn't been played for a year then it should let people take that name.

The reason there are so many symbols is because its so hard to find a reasonable name without it.
09/27/2011 04:19 PMPosted by Virina
I'm kind of glad about it. They're annoying to type and I'm tired of seeing 10 different renditions of the same 2 or 3 names.

me too.
09/27/2011 04:17 PMPosted by Stren
I wonder how many people will rush to create their crazy names before 4.3 drops.

I'm sure a few will make them. It's going to become a date-stamp (something unavailable to future players) so yeah. Get in those alts with as much higher-ascii names as you can fit (and guild names).
horse is kinda out of the barn at this point, but no biggie
It's funny because this USED to be a rule a few years ago...then they revoked it...now they brought it back? IDGI?