Blizzard, Why So Lazy?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
The practice of recycling old item models (the "new" Masterwork Elementium Deathblade for example) and icons (Feather Lure == Slow Fall) stands out to me as blatant laziness on the part of Blizzard Developers.

Yes these are only 2 examples but as most people are aware it is a growing issue.

So I'm asking.. What's the deal Bliz? This doesn't strike me as some huge cost prohibitive issue, so why keep on reusing previously developed objects when new ones would add clarity and originality to game play?

So I'm asking.. What's the deal Bliz? This doesn't strike me as some huge cost prohibitive issue, so why keep on reusing previously developed objects when new ones would add clarity and originality to game play?

The deal is that creating unique pictures and models for everything is actually quite difficult. The more differentiation, the more difficult it is to distinguish between models and pictures. Take, for example, Slow Fall and Feather Lure. How different are two feather from one another? You could say that they are different feathers, sure, but then they might conflict with other feather pictures - say, an Arakkoa feather. Is it doable? Yes. Is it allocatively efficient? No.

Imagine how hard it would be to get every sword in the game to look different, while simultaneously leaving the best models for the hardest to get.
Reused icon/weapon being replaced with a new one...or art for a new dungeon.

Hmmm....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
You could always ask the artists themselves: http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/forum/topic/3341766856
10/10/2011 03:52 PMPosted by Zarhym
You could always ask the artists themselves: http://us.battle.net/blizzcon/en/forum/topic/3341766856

Hey Zarhym, I wouldn't normally do this but I think you need to read my fanfiction:

http://amalythia.deviantart.com/#/d4c4myk

seriously.
10/10/2011 03:52 PMPosted by Baconsammich

owned.
How was she "owned"? Nothing blue said invalidated her point.
Lack of icons doesn't bother me much, what does though is why they don't use the icons when they have them.

Ex- Destroyer Breastplate The warrior tier 5 chest is just a generic armor icon.
Yet the paladin tier 8 chest uses said warrior icon
Conqueror's Aegis Breastplate
Why not apply those icons to the actual sets they are for?

Also rogue t10 gloves icon is the same as paladin t10 gloves. Why not use rogue gloves icon? Surely they made one.
Just 2 of many examples. >_>

Edit>
Oooo me likey:
The bigger issue: 1h weapons are getting larger and 2h weapons are getting smaller.
10/10/2011 03:48 PMPosted by Adednu

The deal is that creating unique pictures and models for everything is actually quite difficult. The more differentiation, the more difficult it is to distinguish between models and pictures. Take, for example, Slow Fall and Feather Lure. How different are two feather from one another? You could say that they are different feathers, sure, but then they might conflict with other feather pictures - say, an Arakkoa feather. Is it doable? Yes. Is it allocatively efficient? No.

Imagine how hard it would be to get every sword in the game to look different, while simultaneously leaving the best models for the hardest to get.

Think about how many of the same sword they have to make.
Why do you think the same sword is the right size for a Forsaken AND a tauren?
Because theres a model of that sword for every race that can be a class that can use it.

this just in, artists everywhere are disappointed as the Art Panels at Blizzcon are bombed with "Recycled Content" questions instead of more interesting ones.

Where'd this come from? O.o

I'm a pretty big reader of the forum, and i've never seen this before.

...also, BRB, bombing GC with questions.
What's the deal Bliz? This doesn't strike me as some huge cost prohibitive issue,

It does have a cost, but not in the way I believe you think. Each new item, animation, graphic or sound will eventually bump into the install size, and with more and more ISP's enforcing download limits on their subscribers, each patch or new install constantly run into this barrier.

Other than that, not every WoW subscriber have huge hard drives either.

But that is just my humble opinion.
10/10/2011 04:32 PMPosted by Kozzae
What's the deal Bliz? This doesn't strike me as some huge cost prohibitive issue,

It does have a cost, but not in the way I believe you think. Each new item, animation, graphic or sound will eventually bump into the install size, and with more and more ISP's enforcing download limits on their subscribers, each patch or new install constantly run into this barrier.

Are we at that limit though? I was always under the impression it was the cost of making the model (paying the artist/coding it), moreso than anything else, that caused reskins.
You wanna talk about irritating items and icons, Relentless Gladiator's Silk Cowl's icon is a perfect representation of how Cowl of Tirisfal looks in game, however the icons associated with the items look nothing alike, same with Relentless Gladiator's Silk Handguards and Gloves of Tirisfal
10/10/2011 04:32 PMPosted by Kozzae

So.. We don't get new stuff because people have 20gig hard drives?
[quote=]And there's the copout. [/quote]

Just stating an opinion here guys, you can't have an honest discussion, which is what I felt OP wanted, with out pointing out everyone's side of the topic. There is plenty of feedback from players about download size on tech support and customer service forums in regards to this subject.

And there's the copout. It's funny how this argument somehow still holds yet why Cataclysm wasn't compatible with PPC macs was snuffed out right away.

Why on earth would you bring up PPC? Those things were last released in 06. Expecting a 5 year comp to still run games is a pipe dream. You're basically asking that the art and development team should not have improved the look of the game so an old system could still run it. Great idea let's limit the art team more so they can make more for us right?

When a system is no longer supported by the company that created it you can't expect third party companies to keep trying to support it either. It will be cut eventually that's just how it works.