Blizzard, you've crossed the line

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 119 Next
10/10/2011 10:45 AMPosted by Vodyanoia
I had to spend 110 usd just on 2 faction changes and server transfers,

You had to?
Accordingly, you may not sell in-game items or currency for "real" money, or exchange those items or currency for value outside of a Game, without Blizzard's written permission.

without Blizzard's written permission.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/termsofuse.html

9C
10/10/2011 10:35 AMPosted by Bashiok
Our goal with the Guardian Cub is to provide alternative ways for players who don't want to spend real money to add these pets to their collection. Even though this has been available a while now with the TCG mounts, this is obviously a new kind of way to deliver Pet Store pets, and we're definitely interested to hear your feedback and ultimately see how this will play out.

Meaning, someone else shells out the RL cash and then you pay gold for the in-game item.

It is a method of gold selling.

I don't think this is necessarily bad thing for a fluff item like a pet.
Why not? They're both money->gold transfers, one can just be done in smaller chunks.

The only reason the TCG mounts & pets are worth anything is because there is a strictly limited supply of them. These pets are going to have an unlimited supply. Within a week, they'll be going for <100gold because any schmuck with their mother's credit card can go online and buy 10, 20, or more of them, limited only by how quickly they can fill out the purchasing info.
10/10/2011 10:50 AMPosted by Teliko
Pets give you an indirect advantage?

Buying them for real money and selling them for gold does.

What's the advantage? If you have 4 hrs to spare and I don't, isn't that an advantage? How is that different than if I have $10 to spend and you don't? You spend 4 hours to get XX gold, I spend $10 to get XX gold. No advantage either way.

except this is not xtra gold in the server economy, thats the difference from gold sellers. Gold sellers place gold that is not in the economy into it. This shifts the same server amount of gold around not adds to it.

Gold sellers steal gold from hacked accounts and sell it to you. How is this gold not already in the economy? If anything it's recycled through the economy on the never-ending wave of account hacked/gold sold/gold bought/hacked/sold/bought/hacked..

And farming..if the gold is farmed, the gold is in the economy. The gold isn't manufactured in any way at all.

I dont think you understand the ways gold sellers get the gold into the game server, yes hacked accounts are some, but thats not how they manufacture most of the gold sold.
EDIT: I've rethought how this works and I've changed my stance. This won't help hackers or farmers at all since the money goes to Blizzard (and is thus not at all like a TCG loot card).

Thus, the only economic impact it will have is based on the demand of pet collectors who are unwilling to spend $10 - which is likely to be a vanishingly small number of collectors based on the few that I've met!

I'll defend my initial reaction by saying that Blizzard has come very close to crossing the line lately and I have my defenses up.

Original comment left below because it's been quoted. I'll admit when I'm wrong.
============================================================

This is Blizzard sanctioned gold buying no matter how you look at it. Comparing it to an extremely rare trading card is disingenuous at best and is dodging the issue.

If this goes live, people will - in huge amounts - be purchasing these pets and trading them for gold to farmers, hackers and possibly on occasion a legitimate pet collector who just can't sc!*#! up $10 on their own. I'm not sure who Blizzard thinks they are fooling by couching this in the terms they are.

Honestly, I'm not surprised at this after their announcement of a real money auction house in Diablo III - but I am dismayed. I came close to leaving this game, after 6 years of play, with the announcement of the 'premium service' for cross realm groups. They backed down on that one, so I stayed.

This is simply foray number two at crossing that line, and again, if it goes live I'm done. I have changed my account from a 3 month renewal to month-to-month in preparation.
10/10/2011 10:21 AMPosted by Asden
Lmao @ at the OP.
I think he needs a shrink, or a drug addiction counselor.

Lotta smack being had there

Have you heard of those cards are extremely rare and are hard to find on ebay and when they are on you usually have hordes of competition all vying for a single card?

There are like 20 of them on ebay right now.

So, since when was 20 cards that tons of people are trying to get the same as an infinite supply of items for everybody?
Your naivety is funny. Yes... it is gold buying. I need extra gold so I cough up 10 bucks and then sell my item in-game with no intention at all of keeping the pet. If I can sell my pet for an adequate amount of money, then I have bought gold.

What do I care about extra gold in the economy? I don't care at all. I want extra gold and don't want to "work" for it.

There is no extra gold in the economy. The gold went from one person to another person. It didn't just appear.
I have like 80k gold in my bag.

All of it is worthless against raid bosses.

In so called "Pay to Win" mmos, real life money is exchanged for actual best in slot items, enchants and gems that boost player stats.

Gold in and of itself is relatively useless in this game when it comes to a lot of end game content. Even if you do get enough money to buy a best in slot item (say, my ward of the red widow for pallies and shamans) first off it still has to drop, and it has to drop to a group that doesn't need it, and you still have to be on at the right time in order to buy it. It will help you get certain achievements faster (pet, mount)... but you can directly do that with cash anyways. The number of people who will gain an edge by spending more money selling these blizz store pets is trivial at best.

The idea that these pets and tcg codes are a form of "pay to win" is completely absurd. Unless these codes start to give best in slot, heroic purple gear, it overall makes almost no difference.

And the thing about gold sellers is that -

They hack accounts.
They employ a force of minimum wage workers to farm all day and night.

So either people are being hacked, or yes, gold is being created out of thin air and being entered into the general wow population without actually increasing the active wow population.

Have you heard of those cards are extremely rare and are hard to find on ebay and when they are on you usually have hordes of competition all vying for a single card?

There are like 20 of them on ebay right now.

Have you heard of its not Blizzard selling these cards and thus not blizzard officially condoning this practice?

All it takes is someone to mass buy these pets, sell them all and then use the gold to buy all the Red gems on the AH and jack the price up. with reserves he can buy any Red gem that goes up and put the price even higher so he can start raising the price of red gems while also making sure he's the only one on his low pop server selling Red Gems. Red Gem Monopoly has been established on the Auction House. Then he can sit in trade on an alt and buy any red gems that come up in /2.

Its one thing to do this while playing the AH and winning through all in game means. Its another to buy something from blizzard that gives you a distinct advantage over others.
To be fair, the blue did ask us for our opinions.

Me? I don't really care. People are buying gold anyway and nothing is going to stop them. This pet provides a more legitimate (albeit somewhat limited) way to do the same thing. Whoopty-doo.
Why do people seem to think that people who currently make a business selling gold for real money will suddenly want to buy gold with real money instead - the exact opposite.