Blizzard, you've crossed the line

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 119 Next
Really WoW community? I'd be surprised if you are ever satisfied about something.

ITS A VANITY PET THAT YOU CAN SELL FOR 200G WHATS THE BIG DEAL?

Not many people care about vanity pets, you see 1 out of every 30 or 40 players caring about them, this won't really damage your precious market that bad, most people in your guilds can probably give you flasks or gems for less gold then the auction house anyways...

A pet that is gonna sell for a few hundred gold, is not going to break the WoW economy, Blizzard WILL never sell gold, because it would literally kill their MMO business, so quit acting like, I'll say it again A VANITY PET is gonna lead up to that, and if any of you bring up the Diablo 3 auction house, then you obviously never played Diablo 2.
10/10/2011 11:05 AMPosted by Homberto
its blizzards game...they can do what they want...if u don't like it...stop playing

Just because it's their game doesn't mean we can't voice our opinion about it.
Because the gold made from selling the pets will be worth more than the pet itself. It's a basic futures market plan with calculations made for when the ROI becomes equal to or less profitable than doing something else. Plus it has the benefit of being legitimate, something that gold seller sites didn't have before because they never had permission from Blizzard before.

Why buy gold from the sellers when you can do it from blizzard at 0 risk to yourself?
TCG mounts have been BoE for a long time, as the blue stated. No one cared. As easy as gold is to make, I don't think anyone cares aboutthis either.

For example; After questing for the better part of the day on my DK yesterday, I made ~1300g in quest reward money and vendoring rewards I didn't need. I sent the cloth and BoE greens to my mage, who made bolts of cloth (ended up with 2 bolts) and DE'd the greens. I sent it back to the DK, who put that and all the obsidium bars I'd acquired through the day (70 bars worth) into the AH. This morning, I had an aditional 1700 gold in my mail box. Just by leveling from 83 to 84, I made 3k. And it didn't me a single penny.

That said, I'm buying the pet for myself; 160+ pets on my hunter and I need MOAR.

Edit; How about this scenario: PersonA cannot afford the $10 for the pet for whatever reason. PersonB is frantically scrambling for gold for that shiny new <gear item>. They don't like pets, but pets move pretty well in the AH. I smell a win/win.
why does anyone care about this? it won't change a thing. Stop !@#$%ing.
10/10/2011 11:05 AMPosted by Real
TCG loot cards are very rare. There are only so many Spectral Tigers in the world. There are an infinite number of winged guardian minipets.

This. It's the infinite supply which makes a difference. A long-term gold buying market can't be created off of a rare item, but an item that's always available and always sold for the same amount can be easily used.

you know 1 spectral mount sold ingame will rake in more gold than 200 of these mini pets, so it evens out. Just because one is rare and the other common is not the point, you sold your principals if you think like that. Because they both sell, one is not more legit or illegit than the other. Get off the high horse, the only gold being swapped here is gold already accounted for on the servers. This is not new gold.
10/10/2011 11:02 AMPosted by Bomdanil
Why do people seem to think that people who currently make a business selling gold for real money will suddenly want to buy gold with real money instead - the exact opposite.

Because the gold made from selling the pets will be worth more than the pet itself. It's a basic futures market plan with calculations made for when the ROI becomes equal to or less profitable than doing something else. Plus it has the benefit of being legitimate, something that gold seller sites didn't have before because they never had permission from Blizzard before.

Now they do via this pet.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, it will be interesting to see the different exchange rates.

For example, if the consumer of the pet is willing to pay 15,000 gold for the $10 pet, and gold sellers sell 10,000 gold for $10, then gold sellers might consider purchasing the pet for gold, and flipping the gold for more favourable exchange rates.

If gold sellers find this to be viable, then they may not need to hack accounts/farm gold/pay employees... and rather, their costs would be transferred over to the fee they pay Blizzard for the pets.

Clever!
10/10/2011 11:08 AMPosted by Stardoll
Why buy gold from the sellers when you can do it from blizzard at 0 risk to yourself?

Why do people buy gold at all when dailies and materials gathering makes as much as it does?

Because people are idiots.
10/10/2011 11:08 AMPosted by Stardoll

So this is what the post is REALLY about? Gold sellers are worried that people will have an alternative market to buy gold?
If this goes live, people will - in huge amounts - be purchasing these pets and trading them for gold to farmers, hackers and possibly on occasion a legitimate pet collector who just can't sc!*#! up $10 on their own. I'm not sure who Blizzard thinks they are fooling by couching this in the terms they are.

Why would hackers want to buy pets? They want to exchange gold for money.

What will be interesting to see is how the economy prices the $10 pet in terms of gold and how that effective $ to gold ratio compares with the third party gold seller $ to gold rates.

Ultimately, that will be decided by the actual consumer of the pet. It should be interesting. :)

I realized this right after I hit submit - and went back and edited my post. Demand for this item won't be farmers or hackers at all, just pet collectors who aren't willing to cough up their own $10. Likely a pretty small market.
People need to calm down a bit. These pets are not going to sell for that much. The AH will be constantly full of them people trying to make gold. Im betting 100g max each when they all flood the market. If anyone wants to pay 10 bucks for 100g then they are both stupid and can be my guest.
If they know the community is actively buying gold despite all the risks, then this doesn't change much. If you're going to buy it, better to pay Blizzard for it at no risk to your account than paying Mr Chinaman's bots and have your account hacked. It's not like this is a direct gold buy either. You have to buy the pets and if you decide to sell them, you're having market competition with players doing the exact same. The gold this makes will severely diminish in a short period of time.

Look at D3. They know that people bought high runes and gear en masse so they're just allowing us the players to sell it with a minor cut to them.

Do I agree with it as a player? Hell no. Is it a good business decision? Absolutely.