Best Alchemy Mastery?

Professions
Hey guys! Just wanted to know all of your opinions on what the best Alchemy Mastery is? When I say "best" I mean making the most profit.
Depends on your realm. But often it is transmute.
If you aren't in the habit of making and selling flasks, xmute.
It is definitely transmute spec, and even more so if you have access to a JC. The Volatile Life -> Air transmute is an easy 200 or so gold every day on my realm. Also, the Inferno Ruby, Ember Topaz (probably), and Demonseye (maybe) transmutes will make money. Your gains will only be magnified if you have JC that can take the uncut gems and transform them into the highest priced cut gems.

Most flasks here sell below the cost of materials, but potions are often profitable. However, they sell for such a paltry sum that I don't even notice it when I do sell them. I'm no millionaire, but I'd have to make about 1000 potions before I even started to see tangible growth to my cash holdings.
Transmute. Primal Might is also very profitable.
Alchemy is not very profitable imo. The cost of creating anything with the profession is generally on par with what it sells for, and you can only make a profit with the free procs. Of course, if you try to make a lot, you flood the market and kill your slim margins.

I will say though, that I personally enjoy transmute. You only need to log in for 5 minutes a day, and the proc rate is decent.
On my server, the gem market is so flooded, and everyone is wise to the transmutes/JC moneymaking schemes that its pretty tough to make money transmuting gems.

However, Truegold still makes great money, and you can definitely make an easy 130-150g still just by transmuting Life to Air or Water depending on the day.

Flasks are actually a halfway decent profit if you don't spend much on the mats, and since I'm also an herbalist and have nothing but time on my hands recovering from illness, I'm doing ok. You just can't sell too many of them at a time which limits your profits per day, but I'm not greedy.

YMMV, check your server's economy etc...
10/07/2011 08:19 AMPosted by Dawnriser
Flasks are actually a halfway decent profit if you don't spend much on the mats, and since I'm also an herbalist and have nothing but time on my hands recovering from illness, I'm doing ok. You just can't sell too many of them at a time which limits your profits per day, but I'm not greedy.

Glad you are doing well in game, hope you feel better in real life. But I just wanted to point out that gathering your own herbs does not make alchemy more profitable. Those flowers have a value associated with them whether you post them to the AH or convert them to flasks. So always subtract out that base cost when determining your profit.
Alchemy is not very profitable imo. The cost of creating anything with the profession is generally on par with what it sells for, and you can only make a profit with the free procs. Of course, if you try to make a lot, you flood the market and kill your slim margins.

I will say though, that I personally enjoy transmute. You only need to log in for 5 minutes a day, and the proc rate is decent.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you have an herbalist to support alchemy, what costs are there? You can farm the lifes, fish out the fires (or get fire from MF dailies), farm or xmute the airs, fish out or xmute the waters... farm the herbs.

If you take the time to get all of the mats yourself, how is there any cost - aside from time - in craeting anything?

Example: In an hour of farming, one can get enough herbs/life to make one of each flask. If the same person takes time to stockpile enough volatiles to make truegold, he can also make the TG every day - save buying the pyrium bars.

On most servers, the flasks go for 100g a pop. TG goes for 500g average. That can be 800 to 1000g a day with very little effort - without taking procs into consideration.

It's comparable to a tailor using his frostweave specialization to farm fallen heroes: 20 stacks an hour at 50g or so a stack makes for 1k in an hour of work.

As with any crafting profession, one can't faceroll a profit. In order to max profit out, you need to put time in to get the mats at little or no gold-cost.

I'm not sure what you mean. If you have an herbalist to support alchemy, what costs are there? You can farm the lifes, fish out the fires (or get fire from MF dailies), farm or xmute the airs, fish out or xmute the waters... farm the herbs.

If you take the time to get all of the mats yourself, how is there any cost - aside from time - in craeting anything?

The cost is the how much would the items you farmed yourself could sell for on the AH. Even thou you farmed them they still have a price so you need to figure that into your cost of creating said items.
With the epic gems coming out next patch with an x-mute, probably x-mute mastery.
10/07/2011 10:46 AMPosted by Gúr
The cost is the how much would the items you farmed yourself could sell for on the AH. Even thou you farmed them they still have a price so you need to figure that into your cost of creating said items.

Most people that use the AH on't understand opportunity costs. And bless them for it, they make me most of my money via reselling.

Time is money friend.

Think of it this way, you go out and farm for an hour, you get say 500g worth of mats (had you bought everything off of the AH). You make flasks, get a couple of procs, do a truegold transmute, and you make a total of 750g for that hour once the AH sales clear.

I, on the other hand, buy 2500g in ore that someone else farmed so I didn't waste my time. I then spend the next hour prospecting, cutting gems, and disenchanting jewelry. At the end of that hour, you are up 750g while I have spent 2500g. But within two days, I will have 5000g in AH sales sitting in my mailbox.

At that point, I am up 2500g in profit from an hours work. I will spend the next three hours of my game time having fun, while you spend the next 2-3 hours playing catch-up by farming herbs. In other words, gathering professions are only profitable / beneficial while leveling and at the start of an expansion when demand is highest.
Also if you think wisely about your routes when you travel, you can farm Herbs en route. I try to make it a habit of not passing up any herbs anytime. Whatever i don't need for Alch i send to my Scribe. Then whatever my Scribe can't use goes to my bank alt for Auction.
Please don't necro posts from 2 years ago.