About purchasing new cooking recipes

Professions
Please fix it so we know whether or not a recipe is going to be usefull to our cooking or not. As in, tell us if its a red, yellow, green, or grey. Today, I bought a recipe for 3 badges (takes THREE DAYS to get) and it was a GREY recipe. That was freaking awesome (yes, Im being sarcastic here), Now I get to wait at least THREE MORE DAYS before I can even try again. Who know what color it will be next time? WHAT FUN! (yes, thats sarcasm again)
Looking at the 'required skill' can be helpful. (Though maybe that's an addon giving me that information).

Else, go to crafterstome.com. I think they have the orange/yellow/green/grey breakdown.
my skill was 465, it required 450. I was expecting to be able to get some points, but it was grey.
There are several profession leveling guides available, you could look those up to see which recipes they recommend. Or you could look at wowhead for information there (fair warning -- not all of their information is accurate, Fire Prisms are still marked as green at 500 skill even though it's orange through 525).

That said, though, I think a nice change would be to have the "Requires X skill" on the recipe color coded. Right now that's implemented in part -- if you can't learn the recipe, it's red. But as soon as you can learn it, it goes white. It'd be nice to have that white change to what color the recipe would actually be for you -- orange, yellow, green or grey.
10/13/2011 11:12 AMPosted by Qazzi
But as soon as you can learn it, it goes white. It'd be nice to have that white change to what color the recipe would actually be for you -- orange, yellow, green or grey.

ooh ooh this please. Ive been burned on the cooking recipes before too. But so far only on cooking, and I dont take it too seriously but this is a good implementation.
http://www.wowhead.com/skill=185

Never buy anything without knowing what it does. Applies both inside and outside of the game.
http://www.wowhead.com/skill=185

Never buy anything without knowing what it does. Applies both inside and outside of the game.

Like I mentioned, Wowhead is a pretty good reference. But because they sometimes have inaccurate information I hesitate to rely on them for things like skill requirements. I already mentioned the Fire Prism, I also know that the Hardened Obsidium Legguards are listed incorrectly (showing a required skill of 425 when in fact they require 490). Just two examples off the top of my head, so it wouldn't surprise me if there are more.

I'd much rather see this information actually available in game.
Don't think of them as complete losses, they all count toward your Cooking achievements!

No, he tried to get around the requirement of using Cataclysm meat/fish to level up fast by buying Recipe: Starfire Espresso, which goes gray at 465 for exactly the reason that he bought it.
Yeah it was my bad. I should have known there was a catch there. oh well. I really would like to see the color it will be for me BEFORE I buy though....

Look at wowhead cooking recipes.

Figure it out, there it clearly shows when each recipe is gray/green/yellow/orange or something.
i mean in game...