New Professions

Professions
I currently have Mining and Skinning, I did that mainly while leveling for money; and mining has the STA bonus. Now that I am 85, and in good shape skinning does me no good. I am not loaded, but usually have 1-3k, and can make it fairly fast running heroics with the extra gold from the Call to Arms bonus and the occasional vanity pet I can sell.

I am not looking to really power level, but use down time to grab ore and make something with it. So I am looking at BS and JC. Which would make more money and help a tank?
I am not looking to really power level, but use down time to grab ore and make something with it. So I am looking at BS and JC. Which would make more money and help a tank?

As far as personal benefits, they are both roughly equal. In terms of profitability, you will probably find JC more to your fancy.

Good luck!
currently as a pally tank, i believe JC offers the best prof bonus, because of JC only mastery gems, though, with 4.3 and epic gems, depending on whether or not they change gems to reflect this, BS might become best. While JC I believe to be more profitable (esp coupled with enchanting), it's really up to you as to which you wanna do at the end, and if you wanna do dailes as JC, or not with BS.
As it stands, in 4.3 BS will be the best profession stats-wise for any class. JC gems are getting increased so that they still give the same bonus over epic gems as they do over rare gems, however since BS gives you 2 extra sockets, BS will gain +100 stats as their prof bonus by socketing 2 epic gems, whilst every other profession will still have +80 stats (+81 for JC).

This may change prior to release, however I've not seen any proposed balancing of this mentioned in any PTR discussion yet.
It will change.

JC is more profitable and cheaper to level than Blacksmithing, so I'd go with that.