Female Character Development is gone?

Story Forum
Prev 1 3 4 5
Just for the record, Alexstrasza wasn't even in WCIII and she made her in-series debut in what is crassly, but essentially, a #*#% factory, and needed to be bailed out by Rhonin. I wouldn't call her characterization particularly strong.
There isn't a single character from Warcraft III that seems as powerful or compelling in WoW. Let's go ahead and stop using "back in WC3." Thrall's focus now is just ridiculous and most people don't like it. Thrall comes off as an incompetent and weak leader throughout WoW because he can't control his people and various plot devices. Blizzard expects us to have the same connection to Thrall now that we had in WC3 which was a DECADE ago. It's not going to happen. They should have worked on his character more before making him mechagodgreenJesusThrallasaurus.

The main problem is 1: Warcraft was made into an MMO and they've never done story telling well, 2: They let mediocre writers make awful, canonical novels and comics, 3: They focus on too few story threads at a time per expansion. No characters get a chance to shine for more than 2 minutes, if that.

Also, I'm pretty sure Jaina doesn't have a "thing" going for Varian and you're really SURPRISED that Deathwing can beat Alexstrasza? I also don't see the problem with Alexstrasza and Krasus. Her mate DIED. She showed the same emotions towards her son trying to hold Deathwing off himself while she escaped. Even without her portrayal, she would easily be the most emotional of all Aspects given she's the Aspect of Life and all. (And she's a DRAGON, why even list her?)

Yes, female characters need work, but so do a lot of characters regardless of whether there are more male than female characters in the limelight throughout WoW. Blizzard needs to hire better writers for Warcraft's expanded universe or stop novels/comics/manga all together. (At the very least, get Knaak out of there) It really upsets me when these terrible novels become canon, with their 15 or so retcons per novel. They need to stop doing hero centric expansions. Only the villains should be the focus, while both factions have their leaders appear through questing. Obviously, every zone with Alliance quests 1-60 needs another pass, but I doubt Blizzard will ever get around to it. They need their teams focused on raiding/pvp content and expansions to make more money.

And if you wanted my candidate for female character development, it would be Lorna Crowley, but as we know, Worgen content was never finished and they'll probably get no further development for the rest of WoW.

This. This this this.

The Tyrande stuff is apparent, obvious, and a berserk button for me, so I'll avoid my usual rant and simply glower and nod slowly with crazy eyes.
As far as I can tell, ALL character and story development is underdeveloped.

This. People go on about female characters being underdeveloped, but are male characters developed any better? Garrosh is a personalityless void that jumps from mood to mood each time you see him, baine's a little baby for no reason, thrall is either an idiot or an emotional cripple, goblin-dude is just 'LOL I LIKE MONEY', and Vol'jin's contributions equate to "I'LL KILL YE GARROSH, but now it's ok, HELP TEH ALLIANCE". I feel like I'm forgetting someone... No, probably not.

Oh, and do the Alliance even have leaders anymore?

It doesn't really matter what the gender. If individuals are a bunch of cry babies then that's what they are until they change. And I'm tired of this stereotype that women are sensitive and cry easly; I'm into the strong, persaverant and intellegent people. As for the leaders of the alliance, I think King Varian Wrynn is still another, I don't know about Genn Greymane, but whatever this is just a game and it shouldn't be taken so personally.

Gosh, even I focus on reality more even though I play this game for three hours at certain time and sometimes just do daily quests for money. Blessed be.
10/16/2011 10:51 AMPosted by Mariessa
Sylvanas is a very dynamic character... like her or not. She has a lot of lore and is moving huge storylines along in game.

I agree, but I don't like how Blizzards doing it.

Back in WC3 her and the Forsaken just wanted their home back and to claim vengence against the people who abandoned them to the Scourge. Which is why killing Garthos was okay with me. Besides after the legion was defeated Garithoss tried to execute the entire Blood Elf race simply because of one, Lady Vashj offered her aid to Keal and he accepted it to keep his people alive. And two, he was a racist S.O.B. who talked down to every one simply because they weren't human(despite that fact elves and dwarves are suppieror to humans), and I actually cheered for Varimathras when he killed Garithos(and I don't even like him).

But now, the entire Forsaken race(except for the few in the Argent Crusade) is hell-bent on the eradication of every living thing in Lordearon.

Tyrande in-game hasn't done much, I agree. In Wolfheart she does lead the NEs in Ashenvale, and in the Leader story she goes to save Shandris, so that's some facetime albeit shared with others. In the upcoming patch, we see Tyrande in Well of Eternity. Also, a number of quests have an Azshara vs Tyrande vibe. This can be explored much further in the next expansion or so. Tyrande is far from a dead character.

Sure shes in Wolfheart(terrible book by the way), but back in TFT when she stood agaisnt the undead, she fell in to a raging river, was hit by stone and wood, carried down stream being beaten by debris and was still strong enough to fght of hordes of undead befor being rescued by Illidan.

But in Wolfheart, she is no longer the strong leader she was. Now its Malfurion making all the chioces for their entire race even though hes the reason for some of the recent and current suffering. Like when he decided Night Elves don't deserve immortality because they did nothing, even though they had to put up with Satyrs, what was left of the Legion(I doubt they just spent 10,000 years picking on an inferior race), and most likly Centaur(which are they offspring of a son of Cenarius and an earth elemental).

Plus in the battle she is then nearly killed by an arrow to the shoulder and is bowing her head to Varian, who is inferior to NIght Elves nomatter what Goldrinn thinks of him. Remenber how he became an emo wrek when SW fell and the horde easily conqered Khaz'Modan and almost Lordearon and Quel'Thalas while he just droped of the face of Azeroth and wasn't mentioned again.

Just read Lasarkis' post,

i just redid all the WC3 campaigns....

I was stunned at how different tyrande was especially when malfurion forbid her to release illidan and Tyrande said "only the goddess may forbid me"

Now she doesnt do anything :( or is weak =/

Tyrande was warlike yet sensible(defense of mount hyjal is my alltime favorite mission). Always thought it was cool when she stood on the bridge and starfalled down an undead horde despite the bridge breaking.

10/17/2011 03:13 PMPosted by Gavirix
Tyrande is a "female dog" who can get away with being a "female dog" because she's sleeping with Malfurion.

She gets away with it because it keeps her people alive. While Malfurion gets away with sleeping through his people's hardest times and causeing some of their suffering because he sleeps with her.

Sylvanas was ok until she attacked the Worgen. Now I hate her.

Malfurion sending druids to Gilneas to help them control their worgen form, the Bloodfang attacks on the Forsaken, and Garrosh's thirst for war and land are what led her to attacking Gilnaes. Blame them not her.

Maiev was ok but then she killed Illidan so now I hate her.

She was doing her job, you can't haate her for that. Pls Malfurion letting his brother rot in that cell led to his imprisonment being Maiev's entire exsistence, so again blame him, not her.

10/17/2011 03:49 PMPosted by Draxonicar
Yes, Sylvanas is a scheming, downright evil !@#$% who can only end in ruin unless a MAJOR change happens. But at least she does stuff. All Jaina does is sit back and cry since WC3..

I hear you, I expected Jiana to be the human version of Tyrande until that one event with her dad. Now suddenly her, Tyrande, the dwarven concil, Velann, Genn Greymane, and Mekkatorgue, who are all superior to Varian(yes even the gnome) all have to bow ther heads to the reason for the endless, phony(because its meaningless) war against the Horde(I now Garrosh has a part in it but it was Varian who started the war).
Seriously Blizzard, I know you just fired a bunch of people, but.. You need to hire people.

Every time someone necros a thread, send you the enforcers. within 9-12 business hours, the necro will be beat over the knee caps with a Louisville slugger.

I will work for under min wage. I'll even manage, train, and scout new employees.
I disagree in regards to Aggra and possibly Alexstrasza, but what has been done to Jaina and Tyrande is truly disgraceful. They really need to find those spines they misplaced after Warcraft III.

Malfurion sending druids to Gilneas to help them control their worgen form, the Bloodfang attacks on the Forsaken, and Garrosh's thirst for war and land are what led her to attacking Gilnaes. Blame them not her.

Sylvanas wanted the Scythe of Elune for herself in order to control the worgen. She joined forced with Alpha Prime in order to make that happen.

The Bloodfang were working with her during the entire time leading up to her formal invasion of Gilneas. Up until that point the Forsaken were actually sending in dark rangers and scouting parties to work alongside the Bloodfang worgen in order to secure the Scythe for her.

Malfurion's druids were there to only help the worgen, confirmed in the comic and Genn's short story, they weren't there to invade Lordaeron or provoke the Horde since they weren't at war with each other. Malfurion blames himself for the worgen and sees the Gilnean worgen as suffering from his mistakes. He kept blaming himself in Wolfheart as well. Sylvanas' dark rangers attacked them first according to the comic.

As confirmed in Curse of the Worgen and Leader of his pack short story.
03/03/2012 11:18 AMPosted by Sydahlis
Back in WC3 her and the Forsaken just wanted their home back and to claim vengence against the people who abandoned them to the Scourge. Which is why killing Garthos was okay with me.

Garithos and his men were also from Lordaeron. They were also fighting to reclaim their home.

Why do the Forsaken have more right to it than their living counterparts?

Besides after the legion was defeated Garithoss tried to execute the entire Blood Elf race simply because of one, Lady Vashj offered her aid to Keal and he accepted it to keep his people alive.

So Garithos trying to kill an army of blood elves was bad... but Sylvanas deciding to kill an army of humans and dwarves was okay?

And two, he was a racist S.O.B. who talked down to every one simply because they weren't human(despite that fact elves and dwarves are suppieror to humans), and I actually cheered for Varimathras when he killed Garithos(and I don't even like him).

Sylvanas hates the living in general. Varimathras hates everything that isn't part of the Legion. They're both more "racist" than Garithos ever was.
Back in WC3 her and the Forsaken just wanted their home back and to claim vengence against the people who abandoned them to the Scourge.

Oh LAWL.

You have NO IDEA what Sylvanas and the Forsaken's motivations were even from day one. Yeah, Tyrande and Jaina could use some work but Sylvanas has been one of the most consistent characters in all of WoW's canon.

Edge of Night tells us that their motivations as far as Garithos was concerned wasn't "vengeance" or anything of the sort (which would be silly anyway, since nobody abandoned them to the Scourge.) It was because she considered the humans tools, just like she considers the Forsaken to be tools.
Sylvanas is just like every other female character in wow. she just wants to have babies but with her the only way she can do that is by killing humans and bring them back as undead.
WHY DID YOU NECRO THIS?!

Sylvanas is a very dynamic character... like her or not. She has a lot of lore and is moving huge storylines along in game.

No, she isn't a dynamic character. If she was anymore snidely whiplash, she'd have a mustache to twirl.

PS, You imagined it, and saw it, and now you can't unsee it.
Jeez, I remember this thread from December of last year. (2011)
ever notice that Thread Necromancers are generally toons of people we never see post anywhere else on this board?
oh great NOW Jaina is in a relationship with a dragon...

We all know when a short lived race and a long lived race hook up it usualy ends badly ...I mean LOOK AT DRIZZT!!
christ this thread just won't die, how many necros does this make?
I know this is a bit off topic, but you have got to be joking to say that Grom Hellscream is a well designed character. I can't even tell if he HAS 'character' considering how inconsistent he is throughout the progression of the story.

As for female characters, Jaina had the guts to ice Varian Wrynne in the Undercity, but then submits to letting him use Theramore as an invasion point in Cataclysm. Actually, I should stop myself right now because if I don't, I'm just going to start reiterating how horribly Cataclysm messed up the lore. Needless to say, the female characters got messed with just as much as the male ones did during that expansion and things have been screwy ever since.
Razlo Crushcog is defeated!
When is Gelbin getting married?
10/04/2012 09:09 AMPosted by Kironys
Needless to say, the female characters got messed with just as much as the male ones

I think the females got messed up more.
12/02/2012 08:40 AMPosted by Dàrkàn
Needless to say, the female characters got messed with just as much as the male ones

I think the females got messed up more.

Nice necro