How much will you charge for epic gem cuts?

Professions
That assumption is based on a discussion about raid dropped geodes however. It was also made before the epic gem transmutes were on the PTR.

Yeah there are funny things happening on the PTR. Chimera eyes are back to +67 stats. I'm kind of wondering if they're revising the epic gem plan some. Geodes aren't dropping from raids yet so it's all still in formative stages. Hopefully we get more info at Blizzcon.

If everyone in the dragon soul raid gets a geode and each geode has an epic gem, I bet there will be a lot more on the AH than many fear. Valor bracers started appearing in surprising quanitites after the second week after 4.2 went live, meaning there are people out there who value gold over their own gear. I bet many more will consider a few k gold worth a lot more than +5/+5 or +10 to a stat.
To take this from the other side of the coin, I will probably have to buy the cutting service

Since I need some of the more obscure cuts, I would probably Advertise in trade for between 100-200G per cut depending on what I think people would take to buy the recipe... my mats of coarse
Yeah there are funny things happening on the PTR. Chimera eyes are back to +67 stats. I'm kind of wondering if they're revising the epic gem plan some.

I would think the epic gem plan is pretty much set in stone. My guess is they are re-evalutating keeping all the professions balanced around rare gem stats instead of epic gem stats. Likely because of issues with restricting BS access to epic gems and the resulting interaction with JC gems if they do. Buffing all of the professions is the best and easiest solution.
10/19/2011 09:47 AMPosted by Jozie
Yeah there are funny things happening on the PTR. Chimera eyes are back to +67 stats. I'm kind of wondering if they're revising the epic gem plan some.

I would think the epic gem plan is pretty much set in stone. My guess is they are re-evalutating keeping all the professions balanced around rare gem stats instead of epic gem stats. Likely because of issues with restricting BS access to epic gems and the resulting interaction with JC gems if they do. Buffing all of the professions is the best and easiest solution.

Making 10 changes is better and easier than making 2 changes? I'm guessing you don't work in software development. JC and BS are the two outliers - you fix them, you don't change everything else to match them.
10/19/2011 09:58 AMPosted by Mondragon

Making 10 changes is better and easier than making 2 changes? I'm guessing you don't work in software development. JC and BS are the two outliers - you fix them, you don't change everything else to match them.

I agree with the above...

It would be relatively simple to restrict the Blacksmith gem slots from accepting epic gems. Wouldn't be the first time they employed such a tactic.

Most of the profession perks are simple numbers. The ring enchants provide 50 agility instead of 40, the bracer emboss gives 150 intellect instead of 130. Numbers take 30 seconds to change, so 5 minutes to adjust all 10 professions (less since you don't need to touch blacksmithing).

On the other hand, it is likely a little more complicated to restrict what gems can be used in the blacksmithing sockets, since I believe the current restrictions are tied to the item level, not the socket. That means coding...lots of coding.

Yes, you can restrict the blacksmithing sockets from using Cata epic gems (since WotLK epic gems are still allowed, it is a WotLK perk after all). But that is were the JC dilema comes in.

If the perk is adjusted to account for the gem taking a slot from an epic gem, do you create new epic gem perks that are also restricted from being used in BS sockets (which requires 10-20 new patterns and gems to be created), or just adjust the stats by 10. If you just adjust the stats, how do you keep those epic chimeras eyes from being socketed into the blacksmithing sockets which is currently allowed?
Early PTR builds are not good indicators of what is going to happen. At best they are possibilities. When something has been unchanged for a few weeks and the release is a week away, then maybe it's time to expect it to go Live.

They aren't forced to maintain code branching consistency on the PTR so they don't (because it's a pita on such a large project). So sometimes things get reverted just because the thing they want to test was added by someone working with an older version of the code. The final version would have everything integrated. And yes that usually is the hard part and where a lot of the bugs come from.

The 10 "things" vs 2 "things" reminds me of an old Dilbert comic where the boss is berating the team that a snack company can make a whole bag of like 50 potato chips in 7 minutes but it takes them 3 days to make one computer chip.
10/19/2011 10:37 AMPosted by Jozie

Most of the profession perks are simple numbers. The ring enchants provide 50 agility instead of 40, the bracer emboss gives 150 intellect instead of 130. Numbers take 30 seconds to change, so 5 minutes to adjust all 10 professions (less since you don't need to touch blacksmithing).

Seriously, I don't mean to be rude, but you're just making yourself look really ignorant if you actually think that's how these kind of processes work.

And even if changing the profession buffs was a good idea, that doesn't address the fact that everyone else would get their +20 stat bonus right away, while Blacksmiths would have to wait a month plus to fill up all their gem slots before receiving their +20 stat bonus.

You make two simple changes:

1. Blacksmiths can't use epic gems (or epic chimeras) in their 2 extra slots. Functionality is already in-game.
2. Make epic chimeras (+77) available for JCs, but they will need to trade a normal epic gem to get them. That way they don't get 3 free epic upgrades right away.

That way no one has an advantage at the beginning, no one has an advantage at the end - everyone gets +10 for every epic gem they get until all of their natural gem slots are full.
You make two simple changes:

1. Blacksmiths can't use epic gems (or epic chimeras) in their 2 extra slots. Functionality is already in-game.
2. Make epic chimeras (+77) available for JCs, but they will need to trade a normal epic gem to get them. That way they don't get 3 free epic upgrades right away.

Seriously, I don't mean to be rude, but you're just making yourself look really ignorant if you actually think that's how these kind of processes work.

Yes, I am being somewhat dramatic when I say it takes 5 minutes to change all the numbers for the profession perks. But it is still a lot easier than IMPLEMENTING your limitation on blacksmithing sockets. Especially since there is NO limitation currently in the game that I am aware of. The BS sockets can be used on any bracers or gloves in the game (okay, might need a minimum ilvl of 60 or something). The Cata gems on the other hand, can only be socketed into 285 or higher gear...has NOTHING to do with the type of socket.

While I do not agree with the limitations people are assuming on epic gems, I do not have an issue with trading epic gems for cut chimera's eyes either. The profession is way to strong. However, implementing new patterns and items to the database that meets those requirements seems like a lot more work then going into the database an changing a 67 to a 77. Because that is how these games work, with databases. The more custom coding you use, the harder the system is to develop.
I most likely will only make them for buddies. If I do make them for others, I'll charge a fee. I won't make them for tips.

Yesterday, I finally reached level 85 on this toon. I've slowly leveled her, over the past several months, in case JC tokens aren't used. I haven't actively played WoW for a while. I'll need to see if any other profession info (for patch 4.3)has been added.
Not much, since the patterns won't be rare, the gems will. If anything, my JC bot will just buy the ones I use myself so I don't get randomly gouged on the AH.

If you wanted to try to make some money right as 4.3 drops, I'd look into PvP cuts, since most raiding guilds will hoard their epic gems to put in heroic-level gear.
@Woa, right now all the professions are balanced around two rare gems, 80 stats. If Blizzard keeps them that way in 4.3, then BS will get a 20 point bonus by being able to socket two epic gems (100 stats) rather than two rare gems. Jewelcrafting on the other hand will be nerfed 30 stats, as chimera's eyes are balanced around eating 3 rare sockets (40 points each), not 3 epic sockets (50 points each).
10/17/2011 06:05 PMPosted by Alkor
Screw blizzard and their epic gems. Those that only PvP get screwed yet again. They want you to run the lame PvE content to get them. Star Wars can not come soon enough. Dec 20 ftw. WoW has lost its flavor, it's like 8 year old gum and people are sick of chewing it.

Agreed:( I don't like how this will affect PVP'ers t'all
Do we actually know that epic gem recipes will come from tokens?

The Tome of Burning Jewels has been datamined and teaches a random epic gem recipe. What if, by the time the patch is released, that's the only way to get a recipe?
In the first day or two of the patch, Blizzard did buff chimera's eyes to 77 points each in order to still provide 80 points in perks with the 50 stat value of epic gems. Supposedly they have reverted that change on the PTR since.

My thinking based on the recent change is that restricting BS from socketing epic gems proved to complicated for a mid-expansion patch. So they will likely just buff all of the professions perks to two epic gems, which should put JC at 99 points (83 point chimeras).
if ($socket == 'blacksmith' AND $gem['ilevel'] >= 85 AND $gem['rarity'] != 'epic') {
{ //allow socket}
else
{ //send error}

Of course this is pseudo-code but really not that difficult to test and prohibit in a properly written system.

Doesn't really matter though. The extra points from epic gems are only going to matter in the Deathwing Raid with guild runs of 10 or 25 people. LFD and LFR groups won't need them.
10/19/2011 09:40 AMPosted by Redoing
Since I need some of the more obscure cuts, I would probably Advertise in trade for between 100-200G per cut depending on what I think people would take to buy the recipe

Not that I wouldn't happily do some jewelcrafting for you if you were offering 200g/cut, but FYI I'll have all the cuts you're currently wearing on day 1. None of those are obscure in my book.
Epic gems can be learned from vendors yayyy