Does a retribution paladin suck?

New Player Help and Guides
This is my second day plaiying paladin and I have reached lvl 15. I've seen threads saying that retribution paladin sucks when it comes to the talent tree and it doesnt have good survivability

I'm thinking about changing to a different class/talent. Is it too late to change into a prot paladin? Is tanking a hard role for a beginner?

What would be a good class to play if I want to be durable, but at the same time knock out some solid damage?

Edit: I forgot to mention that I like to PvP
10/23/2011 07:50 PMPosted by Devaztion
Is it too late to change into a prot paladin?

It's never too late to change specs, people change all the time. You can either talk to your trainer and forget your talents or wait till level (30?) and dual spec.

10/23/2011 07:50 PMPosted by Devaztion
I've seen threads saying that retribution paladin sucks when it comes to the talent tree and it doesnt have good survivability

The thing you need to realize is that when people talk about class xxyy "sucking" it's because when you get to competitive endgame under very experienced players that class performs slightly less well in comparison to other class/specs. You don't need to worry about that because A) you won't be at competitive endgame for a very long time in all likelihood (in fact most people never get there) and B) by then the class balance will have changed.

Therefore for you right now: ret if you want to be a dps, prot if you want to tank, and that's all there is to it :)
FWIW, I don't do PvP but really like my retadin because he's durable and puts out good damage. I was soloing things on him that I was never able to solo with other classes.
No more than any paladin.
Ret pallys only suck if you suck. They are perfectly fine otherwise.
All DPS can DPS.
All Tanks can tank.
All Healers can heal.
Every class sucks at some point in time. Usually it only lasts a few months, and generally those that suck this expansion will be much better in the next expansion.
People underestimate the ret paladins. It has some pretty good self heals, absorbs, bubbles, defense buff, auras and it puts up some badass damage with a really good burst every 2-5 minutes. Those comes at 80+, but they work just fine untill than. They're really good in pvp and pve but i reccomand if you're a newbie go tank and que up in dungeons all the way to 85. Makes leveling more simple. Ret is good for questing and dps in dungeons is good but the que for dps's are about 15 minutes per run. Go prot like i did and you'll hit the cap before you know it ;)!
There is no class/spec that "sucks", some people are just too immature to realize that classes in WoW aren't camped in extremes of "good" and "bad." Every class/spec has their strengths and weaknesses, if you enjoy playing a certain spec then keep at it and ignore the haters.
Ret pally's do not suck. My first toon was a Paladin and now it is a lvl 85 ret PVP pally and I can live through most of anything. However, as for lvling I actually lvled as a tank. I found I lived longer, but the damage output was not high.

To be honest it is about trial and error. Give tanking a shot, you probably will get yelled at a few times, but that comes with the job of tanking. Get a feel for how you play and then you can make the choice as to what spec you would like to play. Also once you get high enough lvl you can always dual spec, and be able to switch back and forth to see which is right for you.
In PVE everything is pretty much even except at bleeding edge progression.

In PVP, you won't see that many ret paladins above 2400, it's not a bad specialization, but other melee bring more to the table in the sense of offensive utility.
Go Prot its the Bestest :D
As people have pointed out they aren't HORRIBLE, and by the time you reach a stage of the game where your skill starts outpacing the class we are probably going to be looking at 5.0 and dealing with things that come from being level 90.

The above also only refers to ret. Prot is in a pretty good place as is holy.
Ret paladins are a pretty good spec until 80+. Them there dps just sucks compared to the enemies health. I did pretty good with my pally in WotLK but now I am in MoP and my dps sucks, i have good gear for my level but the only chance i can kill anything without sucking is if i get any crits, cata was at least decent. It looks to me that prot spec does more damage them ret and has good defense whenever I try and kill anything half of my health goes down slow descending my was through the enemies health...
07/29/2014 10:11 AMPosted by Norindalina
Ret paladins are a pretty good spec until 80+. Them there dps just sucks compared to the enemies health. I did pretty good with my pally in WotLK but now I am in MoP and my dps sucks, i have good gear for my level but the only chance i can kill anything without sucking is if i get any crits, cata was at least decent. It looks to me that prot spec does more damage them ret and has good defense whenever I try and kill anything half of my health goes down slow descending my was through the enemies health...

Double check the age of posts before responding. This discussion kind of wrapped up three years ago, and moving it to the top of the list can only cause confusion at this point.
10/23/2011 08:06 PMPosted by Jakjak
FWIW, I don't do PvP but really like my retadin because he's durable and puts out good damage. I was soloing things on him that I was never able to solo with other classes.

Hey, me from the past, try out Prot, you'll like it when Mists of Pandaria comes out. Oh, and if a goblin approaches you with an offer that sounds amazing, just walk away.