Loving fDK in 2s, but should I go Unholy?

Arenas
Running Disc+Frost.

My partner wouldn't do arena until I had all my BG farmed gear. lol So yeah, we started the team today and got to 1700 in a couple hours or so of fun, but my partner wants me to go Unholy.

He was 2.3k rated last season on another team, and I was only 1900 as a healer. I don't see myself as a 2k+ player but he thinks with our skill and that comp we'd break into the 2.2k+ if I make the switch.

Is Unholy really that much better than Frost and should I make the switch?
Play what you like.
There are plenty of either spec at higher ratings. Frost is the most popular though.
Play what you like.
There are plenty of either spec at higher ratings. Frost is the most popular though.

No

And yes, UH is mandatory if you're running with a priest and want to run an optimal setup.
10/20/2011 01:23 AMPosted by Terryz
No

No, what? 75% of death knights aren't frost? No he shouldn't play what he likes? Or no, there are no frost or UH dks at 2k+?
Unholy is arguably the best anti-healer in the game presently. Your partner, a Disc priest, excels when he is able to be as offensive as he wants without getting trained by the other team's dps.

Long story short, if you play UH/Disc, all the dps will have to go on him or their healers get trucked. If it's double dps, unholy provides a touch more survivability, and doesn't have to deal with kiting quite as much as their aoe/ranged damage is decent. The disc then gets to mana burn/fear/dispel to his/her heart's content.
It's 2s.

Play what you want. Rating doesn't matter at all in that bracket. Only thing that would really be any sort of reason to get 2.2k would be for arena master.

Going UH isn't going to shoot your rating up 500 points, especially if you aren't experienced with dealing with the retard that UH DKs call their pet.
No, what? 75% of death knights aren't frost? No he shouldn't play what he likes? Or no, there are no frost or UH dks at 2k+?

Dont listen to him hes just a retard. I see about 10 Fdks to every 1 unholy atm.
If you break 2.2k in twos is besides the point. Its a poorly balanced and unrewarding bracket, so play however you like.

My priest takes that time to play as holy and jump around HW:chastising people. We don't win much but its fun.
It's 2s.

Play what you want. Rating doesn't matter at all in that bracket. Only thing that would really be any sort of reason to get 2.2k would be for arena master.

Going UH isn't going to shoot your rating up 500 points, especially if you aren't experienced with dealing with the retard that UH DKs call their pet.
Rating does matter to us because it's the only aspect of the game we play any more. lol

Unholy is arguably the best anti-healer in the game presently. Your partner, a Disc priest, excels when he is able to be as offensive as he wants without getting trained by the other team's dps.

Long story short, if you play UH/Disc, all the dps will have to go on him or their healers get trucked. If it's double dps, unholy provides a touch more survivability, and doesn't have to deal with kiting quite as much as their aoe/ranged damage is decent. The disc then gets to mana burn/fear/dispel to his/her heart's content.
This was the kind of info I was looking for. It makes sense, so I'll give it a try cuz I'm about helping the team excel.

Can you explain what makes UH the best anti-healer? Because of the pet?
It's 2s.

Rating does matter to us because it's the only aspect of the game we play any more. lol

I think what he means is that 2s rating won't get you pretty elite gear.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/pvp/
Death Knight Frost 74%

Most are frost, some are unholy. Play what you like. It's 2s, it doesn't matter.

Can you explain what makes UH the best anti-healer? Because of the pet?
Yeah, leap+gnaw is an additional interruption on a caster, or peel on a melee.

I went bloodelf so the additional torrent is nice to insert into mindfreeze+strangulate+gnaw+grip chain.
Name calling is constructive. No really!

UH goes best with disc, it's not even an argument.

Your priest will be sitting in CC chains and UH survivability is infinitely better than frosts. Also UH peels/dmg mitigation for your priest are better than frost. also not debatable.

Yes pet mechanics are clunky at times but that pet will stop all drinking, save you when your at 10% and your priest goes into a full clone, and on demand stuns are clutch.

It's not about cookie cutter, its about synergy. And UH DK/Disc has R1 synergy in 2s.

Don't listen to these fools, GO BLOOD!
Could you link an unholy build for dk/disc in 2s?

thanks.
unholy is definitely a better ladder spec.
by that i mean it doesn't get countered as hard as frost does by certain comps.

one difference between good and bad teams is that good teams are much more proficient at stopping damage. a frost dk's damage can be impossible to stop or very easy to stop depending on the other team's comp. on the other hand an unholy dk's damage is much harder for everyone to avoid - you do about the same amount of damage whether you are in melee range or not (provided you manage RP and runes correctly) and you have more uptime than any other melee in the game. unholy is as close to unstoppable as any spec in the game is.

unholy is also much better against 2x dps, the kiting ability granted by death's advance is massive not just for gtfoing a melee paintrain but for losing casters as well. the rp generation of AMS is a big difference from frost too, it allows you pump out death coils either on the enemy or yourself (you can heal yourself to full w/ lichborne as unholy, it's terrible in comparison when you're frost). against 2x dps in particular, unholy is faceroll in the sense that you really just need to activate all your offensive tools and regardless of whether you're on a target or not your pet/diseases/gargoyle/deathcoils will do tons of damage without requiring you to really put yourself in danger. dks are similar to ferals in that sense.

it takes practice though, unholy actually has a resource system unlike frost and there's quite a difference in damage done between different qualities of dks. compare that to frost dks where even the worst dks do massive amounts of damage :P like others said the pets are horrific to control and you will need some macros to work around that and you'll end up with a lot more keybinds as a result.
I'm remapping my Belkin for Shift & Alt functions for all the additional macros that Unholy has over Frost. lol

SOOOOOOOO many macros and keybinds, it's insane, but well worth it.