Was MoP made to appeal to the Chinese?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
Yes, and Uldum was meant to appeal to the Egyptian players, Vash was meant to appeal to the wanna-be murlocs.. Seriously this is getting old now.

Too much ignorance to understand significance beyond big bad guiz.

Those were ZONES. This is an xpac with a playable animal that originated in china. The ENTIRE xpac is painted to resemble asia. The mantids were seperated by a GIANT WALL! How can this NOT be trying to appeal to china.....
God forbid a company break away from your European mindset and bias.

And why not cater to a billion people. Lots of money to be made.

5 million out of 1.3 billion is not a lot.

Considering that the remaining 6 million comes from the rest of the world?

That's huge.

Considering if blizz could appeal to more than just a small % of China....thats even bigger.
Yes, and Uldum was meant to appeal to the Egyptian players, Vash was meant to appeal to the wanna-be murlocs.. Seriously this is getting old now.

Too much ignorance to understand significance beyond big bad guiz.

Those were ZONES. This is an xpac with a playable animal that originated in china. The ENTIRE xpac is painted to resemble asia. The mantids were seperated by a GIANT WALL! How can this NOT be trying to appeal to china.....

Because it doesn't only have Chinese themes, it shows just how much thought this community has. Go look at the artwork study Asian cultures then tell me it's all Chinese. It's many different Asian cultures, so even saying this is for the Chinese is just lack of knowledge, quick judgement and ignorance. If you're going to dislike a game, at least know what you don't like about it.
10/21/2011 05:02 PMPosted by Natashi
That would be like saying a vinyl sided house with shutters and a white picket fence game would appeal to Americans.

no. this is appealing to us...
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/october/dr14.jpg
10/21/2011 04:53 PMPosted by Dëadpøøl
Its SO asain themed and i know blizz has a hard time getting their game into china with BILLIONS of people, so is MoP just a way to tap into all that cash without having to revamp much of the game like they did with WotlK?

Somebody's trailer park is showing.
10/21/2011 05:08 PMPosted by Dëadpøøl
That would be like saying a vinyl sided house with shutters and a white picket fence game would appeal to Americans.

no. this is appealing to us...
http://media.mmo-champion.com/images/news/2011/october/dr14.jpg

I'd raid for that.

Because it doesn't only have Chinese themes, it shows just how much thought this community has. Go look at the artwork study Asian cultures then tell me it's all Chinese. It's many different Asian cultures, so even saying this is for the Chinese is just lack of knowledge, quick judgement and ignorance. If you're going to dislike a game, at least know what you don't like about it.

I'm not disliking it. I'm actually really excited about this xpac (when i started reading about non-combat pet changes i couldn't help but smile). Its going to feel like a FRESH NEW game. I'm just saying that they centered it around pandas and asia to rake in more dough.
10/21/2011 04:56 PMPosted by Polenzsky
The overwhelming majority of WoW subscribers are located in China so so I think that's part of the reason but not the only reason, they also want to target the younger generation and get them into world of warcraft

I wonder how many of them are gold sellers and how many are legitimate players.
That's like saying the Tauren were designed to appeal to the Native american market.

It's a chance for an area with a flavor different from the other sections of the game world. It's the same thing that is done every expansion. Every expansion gives us either an entirely new environment and associated theme to explore or changes the existing environment to match the overall theme of the expansion.

Are you going to ask if The Emerald Dream was made to appeal to Hippies?

Edit: And as someone said previously, do you think Wrath was made to appeal to Scandinavians since it was HEAVILY HEAVILY Norse in theme. And The Kaluak were designed to get Inuit players interested I guess? /eyeroll
10/21/2011 05:19 PMPosted by Mookosh
That's like saying the Tauren were designed to appeal to the Native american market.

I would say they were designed to appeal to muslims. Especially when they decided to give them paladins and preists.
I think it is.

But I don't think thats a bad thing.

There were always european themed races like humans.

Then they added night elves with a korean style.

Now they're adding pandaren with a chinese style.

Honestly, my only complaint is that it didn't happen sooner.
10/21/2011 05:30 PMPosted by Exodús
I think it was made to appeal to 8-12 year olds. Problem with that is children cant really pay for their account, bad decision blizz.

I could also say the non-combat pet changes were made to appeal to the people who grew up playing pokemon, who are of course old enough now to have jobs and the ability to pay for a year long sub. Yeah, i think imma get the annual pass for sure.
They've pretty much touched on Greek, Norse, Egyptian, and several other myths and cultures. They have yet to go full on Asian which is a good idea to introduce the pandarens.
As Chris Metzen said in his interview on DirecTV just after opening ceremony, the pandaren race was originally planned to be added as the Alliance race in The Burning Crusade.

There are a number of reasons why that didn't happen, but none of them are because we thought they wouldn't make for compelling characters with interesting stories and living environments. We've wanted to add the pandaren people into the game for a long time. And, when recording feedback over the years from events like BlizzCon and many other avenues, the number one request (by a large margin) has been for us to add pandaren to the game. A lot of people want it and we feel the timing's just right post-Cataclysm.

We want the next expansion to be less focused on a primary antagonist, and more on the conflict between the Horde and the Alliance after the fall of Deathwing, particularly as a new land with diverse and foreign cultures is discovered.

The original World of Warcraft didn't have a primary antagonist and that wasn't strange to most players. Granted, we've set a precedent in the last few expansions of having the one major bad boy. But now, we want to focus much more on creating a bunch of varied content which lets you choose what you want to do in the game on any given day. We want to focus more on what's fun than what you have to do to excel -- and, by that, I mean we want more progression paths in the game to better cater to the extremely diverse player population.

We wouldn't have gone forward with this idea if we weren't confident about whether or not we're breathing some new life into the game and changing up the formula.

I understand the debate over this isn't going to be settled today -- or over the weekend -- but give it a bit to sink in, check out the remaining panels (including the Q&A panel tomorrow), and be on the lookout for more information about our design intent for Mists of Pandaria.

As a side note, even with some of the inappropriate comments and spam going on today, we do still really appreciate how passionate everyone is about the direction of the game. We share that passion and look forward to continuing to divulge our evolving philosophy on making this the funnest game possible. And we'll make sure there are plenty of opportunities for open conversations between community managers, developers, and players as time advances (it's difficult for me to follow any thread for too long while working BlizzCon). For instance, we'll be doing a CoverItLive developer Q&A next week with Lead Content Designer, Cory "Mumper" Stockton, and Lead Systems Designer, Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street, next week. Stay tuned for more info on that!

From the BlizzCon show floor (Ask Blizzard booth) and with love,
~Zarhym

10/21/2011 04:53 PMPosted by Dëadpøøl
Its SO asain themed and i know blizz has a hard time getting their game into china with BILLIONS of people, so is MoP just a way to tap into all that cash without having to revamp much of the game like they did with WotlK?
making this the funnest game possible.

/smack

No.

Bad skull. BAD.