Pet battles and development time

General Discussion
1 2 3 57 Next
This may have been brought up repeatedly but, frankly, I think that the developers need to hear if there is a serious problem with this, and I believe there is.

Pet battles.

Blizzard has, time and time again, told us about their limited dev resources. How yes, they have a pretty big team, but there is only so much work that can be done, and only so many resources that they can allocate. Personally, I think they must construct additional pylons (yes, token lighten-the-mood statement) but that's me. However, they also reveal the "Pet Battle" system at Blizzcon.

Pet battles? Why? Who wanted this?

I understand the Pandaren. I hate them, I don't want them in the game, but I understand them, and I understand that a lot of people want them. Fine. But who wanted a Pokemon rip off in WoW? Where was the gigantic outcry from the fanbase that we needed our vanity pets to battle each other for no apparent reason? Who screamed for trainers located in the far corners of the world that you had to go defeat so you could take over their gym...er...learn from them? Anyone?

This expansion is going to be divisive. I think looking around at the official forums and various fansite forums it's pretty easy to see that. What people are missing in the "Pro-Panda vs Anti-Panda" rant threads is where development time that could be used to further *World of Warcraft* is getting lost, and one place it's squarely being lost is the Pet Battle system.

Assuming the pics from Blizzcon are just Photoshop mockups, then I'd beg/urge/demand/grovel for the devs to please, please, please let this "feature" die. Don't waste a single man-minute of programming or art or even thought time on it from this day forward. If the system is already mostly done, coded, etc...then it is a sad waste of time, and there is no way that any player who cares about this game can believe the devs when they say "we just don't have the resources to do all this cool stuff, sorry." Even if a single person worked on this system (which we know isn't possible, as it has art assets, programming, terrain, quest mechanics, battle mechanics, etc) it'd be a waste of time. That person could have worked on improving the PvP experience for players who want to kill each other, or designing new and exciting raid content zones or stories or assets, or enhancing the leveling experience pre- and post-expansion.

Now, of course, people are going to say "all you're doing is whining, what would you *want* them to do with this development time, smartypants?" Well, I can think of a few things offhand...

Abyssal Maw: It didn't "fit the story", but we somehow got Thrall jaunting all over creation being angryThrall and maudlinThrall and...kinda drowningThrall. You guys have story writers for a reason, make it work.
Rogue Vanish: This is still broken I think.
Heroic Leap: Same deal.
Dance Studio: Yes, I think it's a frivolous waste of time, too, but you had originally slated that for BC...3 expansions ago. Finish it?
Cross-Realm mail: Databases don't like to talk? Dev time for fixing that!
Bolvar: He's no longer on fire, but he's still sitting up there...doing...something...maybe some insights into that? Why didn't he do anything when Deathwing came back? He knew (through the Scourge) that it happened, he didn't want to unleash the fury?
Various terrain exploits: You've stated they exist, devote dev time to them?

Those are just a smattering of things that could have time devoted toward them, and I tried to span art/terrain assets, raw programming, and story progression so we could get all the major chunks into one thought process.

Now, I realize that this thread, if anyone even reads it, is likely going to devolve into flaming, trolling, insinuations that I'm just whining or complaining or should just shut up and deal or quit or any number of other, non-useful responses. I'd appreciate if we could keep it civil. The purpose of this thread, honestly, is to show Blizzard that people need to be able to trust them when they say they don't have the time to deal with real issues that currently exist, instead of bringing out ripoffs of other franchises (this isn't even an homage, it's a ripoff).

Thanks for reading.
Seriously, if I wanted to play Pokemon then I WOULD JUST PLAY POKEMON. Also there is no way in hell anything that they produce is even going to compare to it.

All in all I think it will just end in disappointment.
You know that there are different development teams, right? Not having the pet battling system wouldn't necessarily mean we'd see dance studios or heroic leap changes or Bolvar. You can't take any person off of a project and then put them to work on any other project you have in mind.

Also, why does it matter if players weren't clamoring for it? This is Blizzard's game. It's not up to us to approve ideas.
The focus is giving people more stuff to do, at end game and every other level. That's why they're putting this in.
Im gunna be a Pokemon master!

Seriously, its gunna be awesome man.

Less QQ moar PewPew

Everyone who collects mini-pets. Which is a lot.
Reasons why pet battles is a very good (and needed) idea:

1) WoW has very little other than do dailies, do heroic dungeons, do raids, rinse and repeat every 6 months in an endless cycle. Pet battles is something fundamentally different.
2) WoW has no progression whatsoever outside of items/gear. Pet battles changes this, adding a non-item-oriented gameplay feature for the first time.
3) WoW already has artwork and animations for hundreds of pets. It's a big part of the game for a number of players, even as a pure non-combat companion setup. Pet battles is a natural evolution of the groundwork laid out already.
4) A lot of people play WoW to collect things. Pet battles is good for collectors.
5) The base concept of Pokemon is actually a very fun game. Anyone who played the old gameboy pokemon RPGs knows this. WoW will provide that basic sort of gameplay within a much larger MMO world while also aimed at a more mature target audience.
6) Much of the existing assets for pet battles were likely already in place. How many thousands of abilities exist in WoW thanks to player classes, monsters, boss fights, hunter pets, and everything else? These can all be adopted for use in pet battles. I think you're overestimating the amount of effort required for this feature.
7) It is a very good feature for casual and hardcore players alike.

That being said, I look forward to pet battles. I'm confident that they will be a very integral part of WoW going forward for a very large number in the playerbase. It is personally my #1 feature I'm looking forward to going forward, and I'm somebody who does all content in this game unlike the people here who complain about a lack of other content yet have not touched a single heroic raid fight.

Seriously, if I wanted to play Pokemon then I WOULD JUST PLAY POKEMON. Also there is no way in hell anything that they produce is even going to compare to it.

All in all I think it will just end in disappointment.

There is no pokemon MMO. The pet battle system will be unique among games despite its inspiration.

In the end, features like Transmog and pet battles will win new subscribers over and retain old ones. Not new dungeon/raid content and items which are endlessly replaced every six months without fail.
You know that there are different development teams, right? Not having the pet battling system wouldn't necessarily mean we'd see dance studios or heroic leap changes or Bolvar. You can't take any person off of a project and then put them to work on any other project you have in mind.

Also, why does it matter if players weren't clamoring for it? This is Blizzard's game. It's not up to us to approve ideas.

True, and there are different dev teams, which is why I came up with a couple ideas spanning different dev groups (I think). Also, part of the reason they implemented Pandaren was that players clamored for it, so clearly, we do have some say in the process.

Everyone who collects mini-pets. Which is a lot.

I also collect mini-pets, as do a number of my guildies and friends. None of us ever cared about battling them. We never even thought "huh, that'd be funny if my Magic Broom was a vicious killing machine!" I'm not saying it wasn't talked about by people, but it certainly wasn't on the Pandaren level of "OMG MUST HAVE KTHXBYE."

Eloderung, you have some good points, and yes, having something else to do at endgame might be fun. I just (personally) don't like this direction, I think it was a bit underhanded (since the resources *could* be used elsewhere in the game to make it better/more expansive/more fun), and I just don't see that there is a huge desire or need for it to happen.

Please understand that I'm not trying to scream at the heavens and say "ANYONE WHO DISAGREES IS WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!" I just want to see who else feels the same way about this system and let the devs know what we think. If you like this system, by all means, support it.
Add path of the titans to the list.

And Old AV, how long have we been asking for that. Id wager many many many more people have asked for Old Av then have asked for Pandarin or Pokemon.
It's certainly unexpected and different but compared to Cataclysm It's my opinion that something different is exactly what's needed.

How do you feel about dungeon Challenge Modes and Scenarios? Those are basically in the same vein, trying to give people other things to do.
Add path of the titans to the list.

And Old AV, how long have we been asking for that. Id wager many many many more people have asked for Old Av then have asked for Pandarin or Pokemon.

I forgot about Path of the Titans, though I'd *love* to see that come back, too. And Old AV would be so awesome, but I think that ship has sailed, so I figured not mentioning that would help my cause. I do agree though, wholeheartedly :)
People have asked for more to do in game... That things are just more of the same.

Here is the meta game people have been asking for.

The community asked for this.
10/24/2011 09:57 PMPosted by Belorei
In a word; Asians. Their numbers are growing. This is what Asians want. Have fun w/ Pokemon. And Chinese pandas.

Yes, we Asians have a collective hive mind, likes the same things, and are really, really good at maths.

Geez, lay off the racist juice a bit, will ya? Is WotLK pandering to the Scandinavians?

That said, some people complained that apart from the BGs, Arenas, raids, dungeons, dailies and professions, there's still not enough thing to do. Now Blizzard is giving them yet another thing to do, another section raise up and complaints that... there's enough things to do already.

I truly pity Blizzard devs.
It's certainly unexpected and different but compared to Cataclysm It's my opinion that something different is exactly what's needed.

How do you feel about dungeon Challenge Modes and Scenarios? Those are basically in the same vein, trying to give people other things to do.

Those features are also quite nice, though they have little to offer hardcore/skilled players and they still ultimately boil down to "the same old thing".

All WoW needs to do is put player housing into the game and we will be set - the game will no longer only be about progressing to obtain better gear to farm better gear for more progression every six months.
I absolutely agree with Niente. I was in the audience at BlizzCon when they described the details of the pet battle system. Listening to people seated near me I heard nothing but comparisons to Pokemon and it got worse as the description went on. People (myself included) were looking at each other with a bit of disbelief and confusion. There are always features that are mentioned that eventually get dropped for one reason or another. I generally am a little saddened when I see a project that has been worked on for so long get delayed or cancelled because of the man-hours already put in to it. Unfortunately I am hoping that the pet battle system is an idea/project that meets this fate and I hope little to no work has already been placed in it.
10/24/2011 10:11 PMPosted by Kriv
I absolutely agree with Niente. I was in the audience at BlizzCon when they described the details of the pet battle system. Listening to people seated near me I heard nothing but comparisons to Pokemon and it got worse as the description went on. People (myself included) were looking at each other with a bit of disbelief and confusion. There are always features that are mentioned that eventually get dropped for one reason or another. I generally am a little saddened when I see a project that has been worked on for so long get delayed or cancelled because of the man-hours already put in to it. Unfortunately I am hoping that the pet battle system is an idea/project that meets this fate and I hope little to no work has already been placed in it.

People like you are the same people who consider Mists of Pandaria a terrible expansion because "pandas are geared toward six year olds".

They've already put significant work into pet battles because the devs have spent years making assets (art/animation/spells/sounds) that can be used in pet battles.
10/24/2011 10:16 PMPosted by Rakghoul
Id trade pet battle system for a proper upgrade of the pc models in a heartbeat. devs say pandas have 10 to 20 TIMES more bones than old pc models, and may let the exp pack ship with that discrepance.

People need to stop considering developers interchangeable. The pets already exist. Most of the effort involved is creating the system for them to work. Upgrading player models is an art matter. You don't get your 3D modelers to code your pokemon system.