How many old gods are there?

Story Forum
Which is canon the warcraft III manual that states five or the old gods and the ordering of azeroth?
I believe the Old Gods and the Ordering of Azeroth is newer material, and thus more accurate

Still, we know at least three exist. One may have died. Maybe a total of five. No real hard answers.
You know, I asked Richard Knaak this question since his book was the first fiction in which they appeared... and even he wasn't sure. It seems like Blizz has flip flopped on the issue but I think at this point it's definitely less than 5. I'd like to hope that the N'zoth is the last one, I'm getting a mite tired of them.
if a titan cant kill an old god i highly doubt 25 randoms could....we probably just weaken them and cause them to retreat back to their prison.

C'thun/Yoggy are still alive just were forced to retreat back into the planet for some thousands of years
5 IIRC.

There's at LEAST 4; C'thun, Yogg'saron, N'zoth, and one under Tirisfal Glades (not confirmed, but HIGHLY hinted)
Wow, no one has mentioned the star/inverse pentagram yet?

There's a theory that there are 5/6 Old Gods. Yogg-Saron in Northrend (top point of star), C'thun in Silithus (bottom left point), and then three more... One in northern Kalimdor (somewhat makes sense, with the cultists and minions in Darkshore/Stonetalon), one in northern Eastern Kingdoms (Tirisfal Glades speculation), and one in southern Eastern Kingdoms (Karazhan speculation). And then maybe one in the center (Maelstrom).

There's a theory that there are 5/6 Old Gods. Yogg-Saron in Northrend (top point of star), C'thun in Silithus (bottom left point), and then three more... One in northern Kalimdor (somewhat makes sense, with the cultists and minions in Darkshore/Stonetalon), one in northern Eastern Kingdoms (Tirisfal Glades speculation), and one in southern Eastern Kingdoms (Karazhan speculation). And then maybe one in the center (Maelstrom).

Except the "one in northern kalimdor" turned out to just be a minion of the old gods, not an old god itself.
Also, no source has ever claimed that there are six Old Gods, so there couldn't be one in the Maelstrom with that theory, and it's been strongly hinted that there is one there.

Except all of that is speculation save for Yogg, C'thun, and kind of sort of Tirisfal's OG.

Except the "one in northern kalimdor" turned out to just be a minion of the old gods, not an old god itself.

It may have died close to it's master. You never know if there isn't one in that place full of naga, hidden away. Or inside the mountain.
There are supposedly five, of which two or three may still be living (depending on the definition of living).

The only thing new we've really learned about them is that N'Zoth wasn't chummy with C'thun and Yogg-Sarron.

Considering the Sha and mantids, there's a possibility that an Old God is buried beneath Pandaria, but that's still just speculation at best.
Well theirs speculation that an old god is beneath Undercity. If not there its in the whispering. forest just across from UC.
Here is the deal:

First, the Warcraft III manual states "The Pantheon shattered the Old Gods' citadels and chained the five evil beings far beneath the surface of the world." Five.

In the War of the Ancients trilogy three Old Gods, called "the three" (lower case), are working together to escape. At least three.

"The Old Gods and the Ordering of Azeroth" is found both in-game and on the official site. It is an update of what was in Warcraft III's manual.

* Wowhead records the in-game version as: "The Pantheon shattered the Old Gods' citadels and chained the five evil gods far beneath the surface of the world." Five.

* The version found on this site states that "The Pantheon shattered the Old Gods’ citadels and chained the evil gods far beneath the surface of the world." No number.

* Wowpedia records some incarnation as "The Pantheon shattered the Old Gods' citadels and chained the four evil gods far beneath the surface of the world." If this is not wrong, it was changed in some patch. Four, maybe.

In World of Warcraft, there are three known: C'Thun (who feigned death, and was not imprisoned), Yogg-Saron (who was imprisoned), and N'Zoth (who is somewhere).

Various story hooks and such make it seem that there are more than three, but N'Zoth may be behind the loose ends. Unknown number.

Warlord Zon'ozz's Dungeon Journal entry says that he waged endless war against the forces of C'Thun and Yogg-Saron. No other Old Gods are mentioned. Three for sure?

Just to mention it...

The "Star Theory" is fanon that has no basis on anything. It guesses that there are five Old Gods in five corners of the world:

Darkshore (Soggoth the Slitherer, dead), Silithus (C'Thun, feigned death), Hiji?!? (The Dragon Isles, dead), Tirisfal Glades (N'Zoth, active), and Northrend (Yogg-Saron, active).

Because this is only a theory, the exact details vary wildly, and new and old info goes back and fourth on supporting it. For instance, the "Old God Skull" in Darkshore was just a faceless one, but an entity called "IT" does exist near it. Also, this theory breaks if there is an Old God near the Maelstrom.
Based on MoP information, I believe there are 5 old gods. These are Yogg'Saron (Northrend), C'Thun (Kalimdor), Y'Shaarj (Pandaria), N'Zoth (Most likely Maelstrom) and the presence in Tirisfall Glades (Eastern Kingdoms). The first 4 are known to exist, and the first 3 we definately know the origin of. N'Zoth is most likely to be near the maelstrom as it has been hinted ALOT. Y'Shaarj current location is not actually know as it is said his last breath haunted pandaria to this day (the sha). The final old god I have listed is just a theory, however it is widely recognised as very likely, and has also been hinted at alot. This structure would put an old god on every content (counting maelstrom). However this is irrelevant as they were imprissoned before the sundering (however blizzard probably thought 1 on each was a neat idea). Also, N'Zoth was probably the force that drove deathwing mad, explaining the maelstrom location.
Holy necropost, batman.
There is a problem with all your theories; there is no old god in Tirisfal Glades. Blizz has already said that in an Ask the CDevs, I think round 3? That'd be a good question to ask today though. Just how many are there? I think I have the real answer, as many as bliz wants. They seem to be a running theme in almost every wow expac. I am almost positive that N'Zoth is under/inside the malestrom, all kind of clues hint to it. Look at the puzzle box of Yog'Saron and the Malfurion's book. Once the nightmare was defeated it retreated to the Rift of Aln, hinted to be the equvilant to the Malestrom.
So far we've got Y'Shaarj(Panda Land), Yog Sarron(Northrend), C'thun(Silithus), and N'Zoth(??).

Y'Shaarj - http://www.wowpedia.org/Y%27Shaarj
Yog Sarron - http://www.wowpedia.org/Yogg-Saron
C'Thun - http://www.wowpedia.org/C%27Thun
N'Zoth - http://www.wowpedia.org/N%27Zoth

I figure there's one, maybe two, more to be announced.

Also, there isn't an Old God under Tirisfal. Blizzard confirmed that.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5208785474
There is a problem with all your theories; there is no old god in Tirisfal Glades. Blizz has already said that in an Ask the CDevs, I think round 3? That'd be a good question to ask today though. Just how many are there? I think I have the real answer, as many as bliz wants. They seem to be a running theme in almost every wow expac. I am almost positive that N'Zoth is under/inside the malestrom, all kind of clues hint to it. Look at the puzzle box of Yog'Saron and the Malfurion's book. Once the nightmare was defeated it retreated to the Rift of Aln, hinted to be the equvilant to the Malestrom.

Well, this is an out-there theory, that will more than likely be completely false, but here it goes.

What if the last OG is somewhere under Gnomeregan? It would give an out for explaining the behavior of Sicco Thermaplugg, plus they could say that the tunnels deep beneath the gnomish capitol extend all the way to Uldaman (previously unearthed tunnels, plus an excuse to upgrade the dungeon for heroic level) explaining the Trogg presence there, and that another Titan facility was located there, where the fifth prison was located. This would be a new Raid with Sicco Thermaplugg in a corrupted, tentacled type mech as one of the bosses.

This would allow multiple things to happen, plus finally give Blizz a reason to use the Gnomes and their characters more.
Last old god possible locations, since any betting man would bet on N'Zoth being in the Rift of Aln near the maelstrom;

1) Stonetalon
2) Under Nordrassil

I'm out of ideas. Basically I think the last one is somewhere in night elf territory.
So far there is C'thun that is in Silithus, Yogg'saron that was in ulduar, Y'shaarj that was already killed in pandaria that spawned the sha and took over garrosh hellscream, and N'zoth while saying he is in the maelstrom is somewhat right its wrong N'zoth is most likely on the oceanic shelf that is near the rift leading into deepholm where the naga capital nazjitar is along with the crab-men main city. N'zoth is most likely inside gishan caverns down there as described in wow lore the only thing living there is a giant sea monster everything fears. As for a 5th old god it is most likely that it is imprisioned in a continent that hasn't been discovered or also underwater like nzoth if there is one. Also the old gods exist on other words also in shadowmoon valley theres orcs trying to summon a old god. Nzoth doesn't get along with cthun and yogg clearly because the only reason the titans were able to defeat them was because the old gods were fighting each other. The old gods were so powerful that if they were not fighting each other the titans and pantheon would have lost which is proven because the titans could only seal most of the old gods power, The power u fought against in the old god raids of ahn qiraj and ulduar are just a fraction of their power as for yshaarj he was dead and garrosh just empowered himself. and there wont be a old god in tirisfall glades or anywhere that already exists in wow during pandaria. if anything theres going to be like a new continent that springs up or another sundering that brings the old god to surface or something like that. The fact is that the army that the old gods could possible unleash along with their full power would make deathwing illidan and the lich king with EVERY single minion they have look like they are all having a freaking tea party in pink dresses. Also I think ur forgetting that theres a lot of attacks that are unseen by the old gods. first off their whispers corrupt a lot of different things over time and what we haven't seen yet is the emerald dream is being corrupted parts of it are called the emerald nightmare which is most likely being corrupted by a old god which is suspected to be n'zoth. And with tirisfall glades and yog sarons puzzle box referring to it on multiple quotes its quite possible that theres a dead or sealed old god there when u think about the drunk fey darter ritual that's used fey dragons cant be corrupted so they would make great wardens but that would be seriously messed up it seems that its just a place where a old godm ight have died because theres lore saying that theres a lot of these old gods that exist even if they are unknown. So do I think there is a old god in tirisfal glades? its possible but highly unlikely because that would mean the undead would be pretty screwed not that I care. Look what tog saron did to icecrown his blood became saronite that the lich king used constantly oh and btw shadowmournes a old god blood weapon along with tier 10 since its all made with saronite or infusions of saronite but yogg corrupted tons of icecrown and his whispers spread through it. even when they are sealed there powers can reach out. There wont be a old god under nordrassil because hyjal isn't corrupted where nordrassil is and ysera wouldn't be there if it was hyjal is cata content so they wont add more to it and a old god wont be in stonetalon because that's a horde/ alliance warzone basically. And if u haven't noticed ANYWHERE the old gods are is completely out of control. stormpeaks had titans killing titans and silithus was a barren wasteland plagued with silithid. yshaarj plagued pandaria with the sha. nzoth os corrupying the emerald dream along with possible other creatures near where it is. Tirisfall glades doesn't have corruption as such and stonetalon doesn't and nordrassil doesn't have corruption. If u want to find where a old god might be look for pure and utter chaos and races doing things that are way out of the normal standards. also just a fun thing I kind of think of deathwing as turning into a old god for when thrall pierces straight through him with the dragon soul dragonballz beam and he had the tentacle wings and arms I kind of like to think fo him as a old god tbh he really was turning into a old god of chaos and madness.