Was Cata the first "failed" expansion?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 26 Next
10/26/2011 11:34 PMPosted by Orig
Well don't forget Cata Was also a redesign of the entire world. (So even if you place no value there, they still had all that work to do.)

Personally I think that Blizzard did not design leveling system well. I am leveling a mage, level 84 atm. Leveling experience SUCKS!!! Let me get this straight in 1 day and 2 hours you get to level 60. You skill entire zones. You skip 50% of zones where you actually level. So basically all the new content is being skipped. Then you go back to Outland and Northrend. You spend about 12 hours there and you are back leveling in Cataclysm Zones.

Personally I would prefer having about 2.5 times slower time leveling 1 through 60 and have 2.5 times fast time leveling through Northrend. I find Outland to be perfect.
10/26/2011 11:34 PMPosted by Magnijung
In my book Wotlk was a much greater fail than Cataclysm. Only reason I stuck around WorlK was because of my old guild. Nothing sucks more than playing same thing 10 times over because content was so unsatisfying.

so how is cata different?

contents still repeat after repeat.

cata was a bad expansion in my book but I am optamistic about MoP. tbh I really didn't expect much from cata. So in that regard it delivered.
tbh I really didn't expect much from cata. So in that regard it delivered.

You haven't actually done anything this expac....
Yes, because the expansion YOU last enjoyed sets the STANDARD for what EVERYONE must ENDURE in the VERY NEXT PATCh.

YOU rule the GAMING WORLD, and all must BOW before YOUR mighty vanilla SHOOP-DA-WOOP!

All I'm going on is the falling sub numbers and the fact that Blizzard themselves have declared a windback of many of the major gameplay changes in Cataclysm.

sub numbers arent really indicative of anything
10/26/2011 11:51 PMPosted by Sochumpy
We don't want production-line level 85s - we want the fun of levelling them.
Stop saying 'We'. I certainly don't want to level any character anymore, I'd prefer a button I could press to make my last few alts level 85.

Anything that makes the boring grind of level faster (hint: it's always been a boring grind) is good in my book.
I wouldn't call Cata failed by any means. There are a lot of cynics out there who have been playing the game far too long and expect all base content to be as challenging as it was in Vanilla Naxx, but it's never going to happen. They whine and whine, but it never happens. I can list a hundred features that have been added since Vanilla and a huge handful of those changes have come in recent expansions.

The bottom line: If you really don't like it, quit. Don't say anything, just quit. We don't want to hear it, really.

so how is cata different?

contents still repeat after repeat.

cata was a bad expansion in my book but I am optamistic about MoP. tbh I really didn't expect much from cata. So in that regard it delivered.

The difference is that I am satisfied from playing 1 characters. There is enough stuff to do on one characters. In Wotlk I had 8 max level characters and 2 more on the way. I stopped leveling them because I already replayed the game 8 times. That is insane.

10/26/2011 11:51 PMPosted by Sochumpy
I totally agree with you - the problem is Blizzard wrongly believed that most of the playerbase "just levels to get to 85 and do level 85 content" -- something that's clearly not the case. We don't want production-line level 85s - we want the fun of levelling them.

Because that is what WoW is now. Everyone has to raid and everyone must have the craving for purples. What the hell every happened to finding something new in the game? When I started playing I would discover ton of cool things all over the place. What about now? I am flying 150 yard over everything. They could have at least added some content in the skies....
10/26/2011 11:56 PMPosted by Sochumpy
Stop saying 'We'. I certainly don't want to level any character anymore, I'd prefer a button I could press to make my last few alts level 85.

I'm not speaking for you, I'm using the majestic plural. :)

Well you have me and thus you and I make a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...............
During Blizzcon I noticed a lot of:

"With cata we went to far with...."

A lot of people have been talking since the expansion hit about the way questing had turned into a dumbed-down, linear faceroll where you virtually had to TRY to get killed if you wanted to die.

A lot of people talking about how heroics weren't "hard" like conquering a difficult peak on a mountain climb but were "hard" like peeling 1000 potatoes.

I think the drop off in subcriptions is a direct reflection of these mistakes.

I'm really glad that both these areas are being addressed, particularly with regard to questing going back to a less phased, less linear, more hub-based experience. Let's hope they nail the mix right this time.

Blizzard has been failing for some years. In fact all they do is steal. Vanilla Wow stole from EQ. The achievement system was stolen from Warhammer. The game took a lot from LoTR. And the current Deathwing fight for 4.3 is a complete ripoff of Rift's Akyllos fight - which is most likely the best MMORPG fight ever. Need evidence just watch http://www.gamebreaker.tv/trion-rift-the-sanctum-38-rift-clone/ go to 31:00 mins in the video. In fact the upcoming WoW warfront is just Rift's Black Garden.

Can't wait to see what WoW steals from SWToR.

Yeah WoW just steals to make a game these days. The Devs just can't make anything new and the sheep keep paying them money.

Actually Warhammer had a mode similar to the Black Garden in Rift.

10/26/2011 11:56 PMPosted by Sochumpy

I'm not speaking for you, I'm using the majestic plural. :)

Well we all think you should stop, because it makes you look stupid to all of us.
10/27/2011 12:01 AMPosted by Indoh
That's not what WoW was based on.

Compared to the MMOs out when WoW released, it's always been the most casual friendly of all of them.
I think the drop off in subcriptions is a direct reflection of these mistakes.

--and it may have turned out that the crazy increase in subs during WotLK was because of the dumbing down of the game.

In reality, I can't call Cata a failure. It may have been boring, but it made more money than I did during it's reign of terror.
Cataclysm is the worst expansion in my very humble opinion, actually my first disappointment in WoW, if not my first disappointment from a Blizzard game. It wasn't *bad* (otherwise I wouldn't be playing) but compared to Wrath of the Lich King... yeah. (And Wrath of the Lich King was my favorite expansion.)

I totally understand that the hardcores player got bored because they didn't feel challenged enough until the hard modes, but Wrath was the expansion that made it possible for a semi-casual guild to clear a raid on normal mode at only 2 nights a week, by toning down the difficulty and by allowing all raids to be done with 10 players. For every hardcore player that got bored, there must be at least 20 semi-casuals that got to kill Arthas.

Also, the last boss was fricken Arthas, the supervillain of Warcraft III. Deathwing really feels like it was pulled out of Metzen's hat. When you think about it, Pandaria having no real villain and focusing on Horde vs Alliance is probably a win.
10/27/2011 12:09 AMPosted by Sarianne
but Wrath was the expansion that made it possible for a semi-casual guild to clear a raid on normal mode at only 2 nights a week,

You can do this now, they even were nice enough to nerf a bunch of mechanics in normal AND heroic mode, when they were still current.

Hell, Cata has been the most 10 man friendly expansion yet, you can actually get the legendary in a 10 man without ever killing a hardmode.