How do people mispronounce your name?

General Discussion
Prev 1 20 21 22 26 Next
most people just call me Tee Zee.
my kid used to pronounce it Tusky. which is a lot funnier.
(it's supposed to be pronounced Zie. since that is in no way obvious)
How can you mispronounce such a gem of a name?
I pronounce it Die-own, but I've heard Diane, Diana, Die-owny.

You should see them try with my druid's name : Pharomachrus
"Am oak", understandable back when there was a tree form; or "Am Oh Cue"--not sure where that came from. My name is pronounced Amuck as in "a frenzy to do violence or kill". I was pretty enthusiastic when I first rolled this character and my plan to be a boom-kin was fresh and unsullied by the reality of class balance and the nerf bat. Duel-specc'd heals early on and well... its $10 for a name change, so Amoque it is.

Odi, enhancement shaman, is never mis-pronounced. Odi is Latin for "hate" and, surprisingly, was available on a well populated server.

Apostate is a title not a name, but serves on an undead priest. An apostate is one who has given up a cause or religious calling. I thought this was appropriate for a hoarde who had given up life, but as a recent faction transferee... I'll keep it tho its not as good as it once was.

soft and hard refer to the portion of your palette your tongue presses to make the sound:

soft g: smidge, gist, ginormous
hard g: great, go, gawd

I've never heard Bridgitt prounced hard: Brig-it,
I've always heard it pronounced soft: Bridge-it

If it's spelled Brigitte, I would assume the German pronunciation: 3 syllables, hard G.

Brigitte Bardot, very ooh la la frauncayyy is the most famous Brigitte, so even if the origin is germanic i'd go with soft g brijjjjjjjjjeeet
10/31/2011 04:25 PMPosted by Suzette
If it's spelled Brigitte, I would assume the German pronunciation: 3 syllables, hard G.

Looks more french than German

Brigitte Bardot

It's both. But I've never met a French Brigitte and I know a few German Brigittes, so that's what seems normal to me.
10/31/2011 04:27 PMPosted by Amoque
"Am oak", understandable back when there was a tree form; or "Am Oh Cue"--not sure where that came from. My name is pronounced Amuck as in "a frenzy to do violence or kill". I was pretty enthusiastic when I first rolled this character and my plan to be a boom-kin was fresh and unsullied by the reality of class balance and the nerf bat. Duel-specc'd heals early on and well... its $10 for a name change, so Amoque it is.

I'd pronounce it like Baroque, and every other "-oque" word has the same pronunciation

baroque
cloque
equivoque
monocoque
piroque
roque
toque

oque is never pronounced "uck" always long-o.
I don't know if I can count on one hand the multiple mispronunciations of my name.

There's uh-runics, uh-rinicks, and uh-rune-ee-axe just off the top of my head.
put a N in my name insted of the first C. when i joined my new guild everyone said it like that. untill i told them it is ice-est

Looks more french than German

Brigitte Bardot

It's both. But I've never met a French Brigitte and I know a few German Brigittes, so that's what seems normal to me.

Its very germanic in origin, but as you've said if its pronounced germanlike its brig-it-ah, not very common in popular media as the frenchies have that name on lock :| but any german will pronounce it as you have
Zeethorsif

Xorsif

Exorcist

It's Zeth-or-sif ^_^
My name looks easy right?

"Hey inig.. iniht... hey you night elf!!!"

True story -.-

Wynstan - Wine-stand, wynstahhh
Vacu - Vack-you
And a humourous one:
Greenyy "HEY GREENEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE (for another 10sec held the ee"
Zel-ha. X-el-hah. Z-la. Zella.

It's pronounced "Shella", from the BK series. 'Zella' has since stuck and is now my preference.
Kashnu is pretty straight-forward, ya? Guild mates call me Kashew, or Peanut... <3
It's Ta-co-so, not To-ca-so
Mine's pretty straight-forward. Never heard anyone mispronounce it.

Loo-nar-ee.
Groo-gore

Annoys the CRAP out of me =/
I get called Line-li a lot. When its supposed to be pronounced Lin-eli