Theramore in flames: Horde favoritism. pt. 2

General Discussion
Prev 1 134 135 136 251 Next

What's the second move? Maybe you can burn down darkshore next, that would be really epic. Perhaps we could for the second move have duskwallow get plagued by sylvanis, she hasn't done anything for a few months. Or maybe we can cut to the chase and burn down the rest of stormwind. That would be really big. Oh the possibilities!

Last time you sold the moving narative thing the only thing that happened is I helped thrall get married. You say one thing, but the only thing that happens is more alliance screwing.

Holy mother of God...what a little b**** are!!! Not even joking here...I'm embarrassed to be on the same faction as you, much less share the same class(originally) as you. How is that your legitimate response to a blue post?!? Did you even read it? Ya know the part where he was emphasizing that YOU DON'T KNOW THE WHOLE STORY YET?!?!? And you people WONDER why the alliance is stereotypicized as the little twelve-year-olds playing WoW when they should be finishing they're homework...

Seriously, go find yourself some rocky road/double chocolate/german fudge icecream and rock yourself to bed in the corner while you eat it...

...wow.../factionswitch

And you would be unwelcome on Horde-side. Stay where you are, please.

As for his post, he's right. The Dev made the same vague comments about 'telling a story' and needing time to play out the narrative and the playerbase believed them. Not that they had a choice, really.

For all the time given them, all they did was hand a string of mandated losses to the Alliance with no countering retaliations or counter-offenses.

And now, yet again, the Alliance is outraged because of another enforced-loss and the Dev are 'again' talking about 'telling a story' and needing time for the narrative, etc etc etc.

They don't believe the Developers anymore.

Also, your little ranting block of silliness is why people see the Alliance in a bad light on these forums. Grow up.
10/28/2011 09:37 AMPosted by Lulabells
LOL, not whine...fight BACK, Only the Alliance whines, as this entire thread clearly demonstrates. Where is Varian?

I always found these arguments to be pretty silly.

We cant exactly 'fight back" in that way, game mechanics dont support it

Only the developers can have us 'fighting back' and lately they've chosen not to.
I think the point of the Theramore attack is as an instigation to motivate all out war. I know that there is already plenty of reasons for head smashing, but I feel like the writers want there to be a "last straw" kind of thing. Well, assaulting Theramore, the seat of one of the biggest advocates for Horde/Alliance cooperation, would certainly do that. If it makes you feel better, it casts the Alliance in a more honorable defensive light.

In fact, the writers might actually WANT you to feel the way you do right now because it will increase the emotional impact when inevitable hammer does fall.

And yes, for a paladin, everything's a hammer.

The problem is we were told the constant losses before Cata would instigate an allied attack during... and nothing was done, the only allied responses to things are shown on the horde quest side, not ours. Gilneas' finale is played out only by the horde....

The issue here is they're saying "This is to build into the story for the Alliance to do something awesome!" But at the end of the day I have multiple expansions of them ignoring the Alliance side of the story and having massive story-based horde favoring. Why on Earth would I think that them destroying one of our largest cities is going to result in anything different?
What Alliance losses before Cata?

Seriously before cata Alliance controlled more zones than horde by like 3 zones. There was no back and worth. Everything was pretty much either a complete stalemate or it involved collecting random junk that had nothing to do with fighting the other side. Alliance really didn't lose before Cata. Blizzard is still making up for the huge alliance favoritism from vanilla.

Seriously before cata Alliance controlled more zones than horde by like 3 zones. There was no back and worth. Everything was pretty much either a complete stalemate or it involved collecting random junk that had nothing to do with fighting the other side. Alliance really didn't lose before Cata. Blizzard is still making up for the huge alliance favoritism from vanilla.

Thats the thing people dont take into account though, the Alliance had more stuff, because they're the indigenous races of the planet, the Horde isnt.

The orcs dont have a 'homeland', nor do the 'forsaken' because they're recent additions to the comparative history of the world

It only makes sense that the factions with the races that were already here have the most land.

The War kicked back in with the Wrathgate. So, the only real spots of conflict were in Ice Crown, and the only real conflict 'there' between Horde and Alliance was the Broken Front.

That's where the Horde ambushed the Alliance from behind while the Alliance was being assaulted by the Scourge. Most of the Horde died, and all of the Alliance died. There was never any official retaliation.

After that, there were no more open conflicts in that Horde/Alliance conflict until the Shattering.

What favortism? They went with the Lore and gave each faction zones regarding the lore. The horde were just starting as a faction of course they were going to have less land. They were lucky to have as much as they did. I supported blizzard equalizing the number of zones. I don't support the way they did it. They told a story on the horde side and made pop references on the alliance. The issue is the quality of content for the expansions that both sides have gotten. The horde has been given high quality stream lined quests that tell a story while the alliance is being spoon fed "we'll do better next time"'s
A current look at conflicts in cata.

Horde:
Sack Gilneas
Use plague to destroy southshore
Take over western plaguelands, raise human soilders as forsaken
Horde more more forces into arathi highlands
Defend stonard, even though alliance sack it
Set up an army outside the alliance base in blasted lands
Continue to expand into STV thanks to trolls/goblins
Control all of Azshera
Capture night elf outposts in ashenvale, set up forward outpost next to last remaining settlement in ashenvale, continue to pillage forest for lumber
Destroy night elf outpost with the equivalent of an atomic bomb in stonetalon
Attack a half wall and tent outpost in southern barrens with suicide bomb runs
Destroy ancient dwarven outpost in southern barrens
Build shiny new fortress in southern barrens
Attack half built fortress in twilight highlands
Build huge shiny fortress in twilight highlands
Use Orc allies to attack last remaining city of dwarves in twilight highlands
Assassinate alliance general in southern barrens

Alliance:
Destroy small hunting village in southern barrens and occurring to horde quest alliance did it the cowardly way of waiting till all the hunters had left. Which means alliance one victory was over a Tauren village of women and children.

Do absolutely nothing in response to any of the horde aggression.

Alliance heroes call for peace between the two factions to help destroy evils in the world, Jaina continues to bind the alliance hands any time we try to attack orcs. All. The while the horde are making power grabs across the globe.

Maybe Jaina deserves to lose therefore.

Now this is why the player base doesn't trust you blizzard when you say oh the alliance is going react to losing theramore, if that's the case why not react to any over the above aggressions.

Plan and simple through cat a and how devs talk at places such as blizzcon you are biased towards the horde.
Honestly, I think the wrong town is being destroyed in 4.4...

Why not destroy Teldrassil? Seriously.

Destroying Teldrassil will give the art team an excuse to 'regrow' Teldrassil into something that isn't a relic of Vanilla WoW bad design -- like an actual tree, instead of an awkward wood mesa sitting in the middle of an ocean.

Also a plus: bleeding out the Night elves a bit could in turn make them a bit more edgier / fatalistic. Night elves, as a culture, have not really come to the realization that they're mortal now. Airy fairy tree-hugging elves are boring. Edgy kill-all violent elves stabbing and crawling for survival of themselves erstwhile slitting the throats of anyone touching their trees are cool as hell.
Also a plus: bleeding out the Night elves a bit could in turn make them a bit more edgier / fatalistic. Night elves, as a culture, have not really come to the realization that they're mortal now. Airy fairy tree-hugging elves are boring. Edgy kill-all violent elves stabbing and crawling for survival of themselves erstwhile slitting the throats of anyone touching their trees are cool as hell.

Because, clearly nearly destroying Ashenvale isnt enough.

As for his post, he's right. The Dev made the same vague comments about 'telling a story' and needing time to play out the narrative and the playerbase believed them. Not that they had a choice, really.

For all the time given them, all they did was hand a string of mandated losses to the Alliance with no countering retaliations or counter-offenses.

And now, yet again, the Alliance is outraged because of another enforced-loss and the Dev are 'again' talking about 'telling a story' and needing time for the narrative, etc etc etc.

Also, your little ranting block of silliness is why people see the Alliance in a bad light on these forums. Grow up.

Awwww...and I HAD had so much respect for your posts previous to that one right there.

Seriously, re-read the little 5 year old pally I quoted and try not to hear the absolute lack of anything constructive. All his post was was a simple, childish reply to being told he doesn't have the whole story yet(just as my post was only the berating of said b**** for acting as such with ZERO thoughts about the big picture). He couldn't/can't see the big picture and I called him out for it, as I will call anyone else out who I believe deserves it(NOT the majority of the posts in here....some come close, but most are well constructed with evidence and legitimate points)

And now for you, Inferna, I'll switch hats from "b**** wrangler" to "legitimate debater".

I remember reading a post towards the beginning of this thread that was talking about Cata as the start of this war, while I would strongly disagree. This whole thing started back in(probably before) the Ulduar trailer. I was absolutely insulted and infuriated at Varian and his outright objection/racism regarding working with the Horde. Heck, I've despised Varian since he first showed up at his throne in SW in 4.0. He's a warmongering bigot who has actually precipitated all this suffering the Horde has brought. He refused to reciprocate the cooperation and attempted peace that Thrall offered and I will, any day any time, denounce him as my king...

That being said, this is ALL blizzard's doing. They've groomed the game since that assault on Northrend to bring about a renewed conflict. The problem is as they were beginning it the alliance appeared to be to the antagonists. With Thrall still as warchief it would have taken a ENORMOUS insult to incur his wrath and cause him to make war against the alliance, at which point the alliance loses their supposedly noble stance in the world and ALL of the lore falls apart. While I will never actually say that the Horde is evil(with the obvious exception of the Forsaken...nowadays), I will say that we....er...they ARE the bad guys in this conflict, and the story is being written to better portray the Horde in that light.

While I do see the justification in the frustration at the developers for showing many of these battles to only Horde characters, it is, in fact a little impractical to accomplish in some cases. Many of them are zones that, officially, swung one way or the other and so the opposite faction has no business in the that zone. Now, I'll admit I was HIGHLY disappointed with the lack of resolution in Gilneas. I was expecting to level to 15 or 20 in Silverpine fighting back the Forsaken, and was, in fact, extremely disappointed(I'll confess right now to my own racism against the Nelfs) to find out that the worgen are reduced to being refugees in Darnassus(/puke).

I will gladly side with anyone in this thread over Gilneas, but frankly the rest of these "forced losses" were necessary for the proper setup to the War. Also after Varian used Theramore as a base of operations to launch the attack on the Southern Barrens which included the sacking and, frankly, unwarranted destruction of Camp T and Honor's Stand, I think its an obvious move to return the favor and sack Theramore. A move which will obviously cause the the alliance to stop taking the fight lightly(I won't say they're doing nothing because they've been doing a lot of rescuing while in strategic withdrawal from the lost areas), and allow Varian to fling the full might of the alliance into defending and/or retaking alliance lands, and perhaps even extracting a few punitive blows.

All in all, Blizz has quite a bit of writing and story telling ahead of them. They have been telling the story since even before WoW and so far, when I read it I see the Alliance actually at fault for a large chunk of these recent losses. So, alliance members, let Blizz reposition the chess pieces to allow them to portray each side correctly and yell at them AFTER they don't deliver in the expansion that is not geared around an external threat but around the long-awaited arrival of the War. We had to deal with another, bigger threat again in this expansion so while there was plenty of unrest unleashed, neither side was allowed(due to other focuses) to commit to all-out war.

hmmmm...wall of text....oops...TL/DR: I feel the alliance players in this thread should, perhaps, just let Blizz tell their story. It's pretty long and involved story and, honestly, I'm glad to see them getting back to it.

(/switchhats: Minor b**** wrangler/minor troll)Also, Inferna, if I wasn't playing with friends from back home who've I'd known before WoW, friends who already had a guild and characters on the Alliance, I would still be Horde...most likely all Horde. I may actually play alliance, but deep inside I'm still(as you may guess from some of my point of views in my post)...how did you say it, "Horde for Life"...May the Dark Lady watch over you, Infernastorm.
Honestly, I think the wrong town is being destroyed in 4.4...

Why not destroy Teldrassil? Seriously.

Destroying Teldrassil will give the art team an excuse to 'regrow' Teldrassil into something that isn't a relic of Vanilla WoW bad design -- like an actual tree, instead of an awkward wood mesa sitting in the middle of an ocean.

Oh, come on now. You know you have to pay a premium to actually see Alliance story progression. (Novels, comics, etc) The only one exception is when you play Horde. You can continue the worgen story line in Silverpine as Forsaken and actually see what happened to places like Hillsbrad.
Kryven: Good list, don't forget Andorhal - an instance where both factions were vying for new territory in the vacuum of the scourge's presence there. So it's not losing something already established, but it's yet another brutal defeat. The Horde win handily. And all we get is 2 lines saying "Hey you were awesome but it doesn't matter, we lose bro". It is very confusing for players who are relatively new to the lore.

I had to explain it to a sibling who started playing during Cata and didn't understand why we were losing despite annihilating so many of those Val'kyr and their leader - not having been around during Wrath or even leveled through it yet.

Heck, my first reaction was to read those two lines several times to see just wtf I missed and confirm to myself they had really ended it for us that way.

Horde gets some really neat stuff about Koltira and Sylvanas.

We get no new information about Koltira and Thassarian (though we do see interaction), but then the game just tells us we lose and then we lose a flight point. Ohh, and don't forget how alliance again broke a loose treaty when our ignorant farmers panicked.

Might have worked better for us if Andorhal were a village of women and children like Taurajo.

The game makes it clear on the Alliance side that they're bad and should feel bad about Taurajo, too. Alliance gets guilt-trips about any "victories", and doesn't even get to keep others (Stonard -- btw, portal? Theramore says hi). Horde gets more For The Horde and glory.

Now I've seen the point made that the Alliance and Horde temperaments are a bit different and the Alliance are more likely to wring their hands over the guilt while the Horde will just execute those who are cowardly and move on without the navel-gazing, and are more excited about conquests in the first place. That's...I actually agree with that. But the Horde get clearcut victories to get excited about, Alliance only get those cowardly maneuvers that lead to navel-gazing. Some victory.

And that's when it's clear to Alliance players that there's a war going on at all, in the middle of our fetch quests and "kill 10 kobold" quests. You feel so much more engaged in the actual story that's supposed to be going on when playing as Horde.

Are we at least done playing off the Horde as the underdogs yet, Blizzard?
A current look at conflicts in cata.

Horde:
Sack Gilneas
Use plague to destroy southshore
Take over western plaguelands, raise human soilders as forsaken
Horde more more forces into arathi highlands
Defend stonard, even though alliance sack it
Set up an army outside the alliance base in blasted lands
Continue to expand into STV thanks to trolls/goblins
Control all of Azshera
Capture night elf outposts in ashenvale, set up forward outpost next to last remaining settlement in ashenvale, continue to pillage forest for lumber
Destroy night elf outpost with the equivalent of an atomic bomb in stonetalon
Attack a half wall and tent outpost in southern barrens with suicide bomb runs
Destroy ancient dwarven outpost in southern barrens
Build shiny new fortress in southern barrens
Attack half built fortress in twilight highlands
Build huge shiny fortress in twilight highlands
Use Orc allies to attack last remaining city of dwarves in twilight highlands
Assassinate alliance general in southern barrens

Alliance:
Destroy small hunting village in southern barrens and occurring to horde quest alliance did it the cowardly way of waiting till all the hunters had left. Which means alliance one victory was over a Tauren village of women and children.

Do absolutely nothing in response to any of the horde aggression.

Alliance heroes call for peace between the two factions to help destroy evils in the world, Jaina continues to bind the alliance hands any time we try to attack orcs. All. The while the horde are making power grabs across the globe.

Maybe Jaina deserves to lose therefore.

Now this is why the player base doesn't trust you blizzard when you say oh the alliance is going react to losing theramore, if that's the case why not react to any over the above aggressions.

Plan and simple through cat a and how devs talk at places such as blizzcon you are biased towards the horde.

Thank you for illuminating this quite so well.

Losses are one thing, but losses without concessions is another. We don't even get to enjoy that Theramore highway now.
10/28/2011 10:54 AMPosted by Paladinchaz

It really hasn't.

I want my grim as ^$%@ nightelves. D:

I mean look at these:

http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Night_Elves_-_Concept.jpg?c=1
http://www.wowpedia.org/File:NightElfAssassinBySamwise.jpg?c=1

WHERE IS THIS?! Where is the blood of my enemy pouring out of my mouth?! Where is my dark-cloaked Night elf assassins, shredding apart orcs in the woods?!

WHERE?!
10/28/2011 10:02 AMPosted by Amberrain
The problem is we were told the constant losses before Cata would instigate an allied attack during..

wait....what constant losses?. On my count there is the Wrathgate...oh wait EVERYONE lost there...even the Scourge. The Broken Front: legitimate betrayal by the Horde, but all the alliance responses, to me, seemed almost like propaganda to make it more the Horde's fault than it really may have been...

Either way...I count two losses both shaky(in my opinion), at best.
10/28/2011 11:20 AMPosted by Blackcap

It really hasn't.

I want my grim as ^$%@ nightelves. D:

I mean look at these:

http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Night_Elves_-_Concept.jpg?c=1
http://www.wowpedia.org/File:NightElfAssassinBySamwise.jpg?c=1

WHERE IS THIS?! Where is the blood of my enemy pouring out of my mouth?! Where is my dark-cloaked Night elf assassins, shredding apart orcs in the woods?!

WHERE?!

Well, I think you probably already know this, but that concept is obviously not the direction they took the night elves. However, the WC3 night elves are still basically extinct at this point, which is still a valid question to ask.

I think the answer is that... they're too close to Orgrimmar to ever accomplish anything. Blizzard already moved their home of Ashenvale to a giant tree in the middle of the ocean to separate their capitals. They can't kick the **** out of the orc's in Ashenvale because Orgrimmar is too close. Another problem is that the night elves have to move through Ashenvale to get anywhere, so any major offensives are kind of locked out and anything else has to go by sea, but apparently the Horde contest the shores on western Kalimdor judging by all those burning ships at Zoram'gar despite having to sail around Teldrassil and Darkshore to get any ships there in the first place.

Awwww...and I HAD had so much respect for your posts previous to that one right there.

Seriously, re-read the little 5 year old pally I quoted and try not to hear the absolute lack of anything constructive. All his post was was a simple, childish reply to being told he doesn't have the whole story yet(just as my post was only the berating of said b**** for acting as such with ZERO thoughts about the big picture). He couldn't/can't see the big picture and I called him out for it, as I will call anyone else out who I believe deserves it(NOT the majority of the posts in here....some come close, but most are well constructed with evidence and legitimate points)

And now for you, Inferna, I'll switch hats from "b**** wrangler" to "legitimate debater".

I remember reading a post towards the beginning of this thread that was talking about Cata as the start of this war, while I would strongly disagree. This whole thing started back in(probably before) the Ulduar trailer. I was absolutely insulted and infuriated at Varian and his outright objection/racism regarding working with the Horde. Heck, I've despised Varian since he first showed up at his throne in SW in 4.0. He's a warmongering bigot who has actually precipitated all this suffering the Horde has brought. He refused to reciprocate the cooperation and attempted peace that Thrall offered and I will, any day any time, denounce him as my king...

That being said, this is ALL blizzard's doing. They've groomed the game since that assault on Northrend to bring about a renewed conflict. The problem is as they were beginning it the alliance appeared to be to the antagonists. With Thrall still as warchief it would have taken a ENORMOUS insult to incur his wrath and cause him to make war against the alliance, at which point the alliance loses their supposedly noble stance in the world and ALL of the lore falls apart. While I will never actually say that the Horde is evil(with the obvious exception of the Forsaken...nowadays), I will say that we....er...they ARE the bad guys in this conflict, and the story is being written to better portray the Horde in that light.

While I do see the justification in the frustration at the developers for showing many of these battles to only Horde characters, it is, in fact a little impractical to accomplish in some cases. Many of them are zones that, officially, swung one way or the other and so the opposite faction has no business in the that zone. Now, I'll admit I was HIGHLY disappointed with the lack of resolution in Gilneas. I was expecting to level to 15 or 20 in Silverpine fighting back the Forsaken, and was, in fact, extremely disappointed(I'll confess right now to my own racism against the Nelfs) to find out that the worgen are reduced to being refugees in Darnassus(/puke).

I will gladly side with anyone in this thread over Gilneas, but frankly the rest of these "forced losses" were necessary for the proper setup to the War. Also after Varian used Theramore as a base of operations to launch the attack on the Southern Barrens which included the sacking and, frankly, unwarranted destruction of Camp T and Honor's Stand, I think its an obvious move to return the favor and sack Theramore. A move which will obviously cause the the alliance to stop taking the fight lightly(I won't say they're doing nothing because they've been doing a lot of rescuing while in strategic withdrawal from the lost areas), and allow Varian to fling the full might of the alliance into defending and/or retaking alliance lands, and perhaps even extracting a few punitive blows.

All in all, Blizz has quite a bit of writing and story telling ahead of them. They have been telling the story since even before WoW and so far, when I read it I see the Alliance actually at fault for a large chunk of these recent losses. So, alliance members, let Blizz reposition the chess pieces to allow them to portray each side correctly and yell at them AFTER they don't deliver in the expansion that is not geared around an external threat but around the long-awaited arrival of the War. We had to deal with another, bigger threat again in this expansion so while there was plenty of unrest unleashed, neither side was allowed(due to other focuses) to commit to all-out war.

hmmmm...wall of text....oops...TL/DR: I feel the alliance players in this thread should, perhaps, just let Blizz tell their story. It's pretty long and involved story and, honestly, I'm glad to see them getting back to it.

(/switchhats: Minor b**** wrangler/minor troll)Also, Inferna, if I wasn't playing with friends from back home who've I'd known before WoW, friends who already had a guild and characters on the Alliance, I would still be Horde...most likely all Horde. I may actually play alliance, but deep inside I'm still(as you may guess from some of my point of views in my post)...how did you say it, "Horde for Life"...May the Dark Lady watch over you, Infernastorm.

Your post comes off as very pragmatic, but also very understanding and patient with the Developers. Back when Cata was launching, I was saying the same things you are now.

Give them time to tell the story, give them a chance to further the content with content patches and more quests to give the Alliance a chance to retaliate and gain some pride back.

As we've seen, that hasn't been the case at all. If anything, it's been more Horde-based lore and questchains and very little content revolving around those initial assaults.

The list of assaults have been listed repeatedly, so I won't bother doing so again. Suffice it to say, it 'looks' as if the developers are just taking cheap shots at the Horde and not letting them fight back, lore-wise.

As for impractical...Here's an example of the lore learned through questing.

In Ashenvale, Horde-side, we get a ton of quests that have us assaulting Nelf holdings through the zone and repelling counter assaults. And that's it.

Alliance-side, we see the rest of the story and learn that the Nelfs repel most of the major assaults, but that the invasion continues.

Would it really have been hard to have 'half' of the Horde quests dealing with the assault, followed by the second half dealing with the successful retaliation by the Alliance, ending with a static 'line of occupation'?

Andorhol is another example of Developer-mandated loss that frustrates for no reason.

As for the rest, I'm Horde for life, but I hate unbalanced features and I especially hate biased Moderators and Developers. it's the height of unprofessional behavior. And this just jumps out at me as obscenely biased.