Theramore in flames: Horde favoritism. pt. 2

General Discussion
Prev 1 135 136 137 251 Next
Adyl: the "Cataclysm" as an in-game event happened prior to the expansion. Players had access to the changed world with the Alliance being pushed back (overnight in a literal sense) everywhere there were major changes. When we found out that the 4.0 patch would be like this, the uproar was really a precursor to the uproar over Theramore.

People are not referencing Lich King patch events unless so noted. They are references the changes brought on by the 4.0 patch and 4.0 questing.
As a Horde player since BC, this angers me slightly.
Yeah, pretty much this entire expansion is dedicated and making sure of making sure that the Alliance lose nearly every single major conflict. I'm not angered because of a lack of a challenge, but angered at the fact that the Alliance gets boned one way or the other, every step of the way and they do NOTHING about it. Its clear that there is some subtle bias with the Horde. I might retire the Horde come MoP. Good job making the Horde look even more like monsters.
Am I going to have to a point by point break down of how wrong you are Kryven

First off Horde didn't actually sack Gilneas far from it. I mean I can understand the story telling quality not being equal but the Horde clearly lost Gilneas as shown by Silverpine and would have lost that too if it weren't for Sylvanas basically holding a hostage.

The dwarf base in southern barrens should never have been there in the first place it wasn't some ancient base. It was a base originally built on a Tauren village after the Dwarves basically evicted them to keep digging. Horde were attacking it even back in Vanilla because the dwarves basically killed Tauren to make that base.

So great horde have a base in blasted land and the alliance gains one in Swamp of Sorrows sound equal.

Stonard was actually sacked it is just the phasing doesn't show it.

Every horde attack action in Ashenvale was pushed back if you did the Alliance side of the zone. The only loss was of silverwing refuge or whatever It is called and the Alliance are still siegeing Splintervale.

The bomb in stonetalon was a mistake and the one responsible for it got thrown off a cliff. I think the base was more cenarion circle than alliance.

The dragonmaw attack wasn't authorized by Garrosh or the Horde. If you did the horde side you will find out it was just some random Dragonmaw dude who wanted to become famous and wanted power. We are later sent in to get an item he had on his body.

In Southern Barren Horde built 1 shinny new base while losing their original base (Camp T) while Alliance built 2 where they had none before.

First off Horde didn't actually sack Gilneas far from it. I mean I can understand the story telling quality not being equal but the Horde clearly lost Gilneas as shown by Silverpine and would have lost that too if it weren't for Sylvanas basically holding a hostage.

The dwarf base in southern barrens should never have been there in the first place it wasn't some ancient base. It was a base originally built on a Tauren village after the Dwarves basically evicted them to keep digging. Horde were attacking it even back in Vanilla because the dwarves basically killed Tauren to make that base.

So great horde have a base in blasted land and the alliance gains one in Swamp of Sorrows sound equal.

Every horde attack action in Ashenvale was pushed back if you did the Alliance side of the zone. The only loss was of silverwing refuge or whatever It is called and the Alliance are still siegeing Splintervale.

The bomb in stonetalon was a mistake and the one responsible for it got thrown off a cliff. I think the base was more cenarion circle than alliance.

The dragonmaw attack wasn't authorized by Garrosh or the Horde. If you did the horde side you will find out it was just some random Dragonmaw dude who wanted to become famous and wanted power. We are later sent in to get an item he had on his body.

In Southern Barren Horde built 1 shinny new base while losing their original base (Camp T) while Alliance built 2 where they had none before.

You're not grasping the point.

The point was, and is, that the Alliance side of the quest lore is inferior to the Horde-side quest lore. That the Alliance is getting the short end of the stick in terms of losing zones(Gilneas is lost and the Worgens get to go do Nelf starter content, while the goblins lose their isle, but they get a brand new zone all their own in Azshara). They get the short end of the stick in the fact that their faction is basically beaten up for an entire expansion and there's no official retaliation in the lore.

They lose every single major conflict aside from one and 'that' one was tainted by genocide, and will be undone completely in 5.0 by the burning of Theramore.

The problem isn't what the Alliance gets, it's the quality of what is given, and the lack of pride-boosting events shown in game.

The Horde get to capture Hillsbrad, demolish Gilneas, destroy Southshore and turn its residents into slaves or slimes, invade Ashenvale to the point of taking over half the zone, push the Alliance out of Andorhol.

And there's no official retaliation for any of these attacks, lore-wise. Sure, the Horde doesn't take Gilneas, but the Worgens don't get to get it, either. All of Silverpine is now Horde property now.

The Developers are making the Alliance, half their players look weak and impotent and people are angry and frustrated.

What you don't see is how many people are just 'leaving' rather than put up with it for another year.
10/23/2011 11:02 PMPosted by Zarhym
The first pawn on the chess board of what is to be the story for Mists of Pandaria is being moved, and you're angry at whose turn is first?

Some people will complain about anything. Need I remind you about the oh-so-unfair ratio of horde to alliance mounts? >.<

Honestly, for the longest time I thought Blizz favored the Alliance. But now, I don't think there's any favoritism going on- it seems pretty balanced to me. Then again, I didn't go to Blizzcon, so I don't know half of what went on there and wha was said. So w/e, that's my 2 cents.
I'm not arguing that the story telling is equal far from it. I'm more arguing with the people who keep claiming it is some grand lore conspiracy to mess over the Alliance. It is balancing the zones. In vanilla Alliance had a clear zone number advantage against the horde that was fixed sort of with Cata. The zone advantage in Vanilla for horde vs alliance was 8 to 13 or something, I can't recall the exact number but zone for zone Alliance way more exclusive zones than horde back then. Humans alone had what Westfall, Redridge, and Duskwood. Giving Hillsbrad to the Horde was more to balance the number of zones of horde vs alliance than anything. Silverpine was always Horde property to begin with.

Problem is they aren't interested in the story of it all....

Unless they can look at a map and count...3 Horde bases and 3 Alliance bases..it doesn't matter.

Unless the town they took is the same size as the one Horde sacked...it doesn't matter.

Unless Blizzard stopped the Thrall story right in the middle of it and changed to an Alliance story.....It doesn't matter.

Personally I think it's silly that people are expecting perfect symmetry in story telling.

No one's expecting symmetry, but an entire expansion(including the last half of LK) with no retaliation isn't rational or even the slightest bit balanced.

Let me say that again for you.

An entire expansion and a half with 'one' major victory...Compared against five major Horde victories(Gilneas, Ashenvale, Hillsbrad, Andorhol, Broken Front(Icecrown)).

And with 5.0, that single victory in the Southern Barrens was tainted with genocidal murder and will be completely undone by the burning of Theramore.

That's not asymmetry. That's an asskicking with steel-toed boots.
10/28/2011 12:03 PMPosted by Bellah
The first pawn on the chess board of what is to be the story for Mists of Pandaria is being moved, and you're angry at whose turn is first?

Some people will complain about anything. Need I remind you about the oh-so-unfair ratio of horde to alliance mounts? >.<

Honestly, for the longest time I thought Blizz favored the Alliance. But now, I don't think there's any favoritism going on- it seems pretty balanced to me. Then again, I didn't go to Blizzcon, so I don't know half of what went on there and wha was said. So w/e, that's my 2 cents.

And as quaint as your two cents are, did you bother to actually read the complaints and issues that have been listed repeatedly and with great detail?
10/28/2011 12:03 PMPosted by Dragomaxxor
I'm not arguing that the story telling is equal far from it. I'm more arguing with the people who keep claiming it is some grand lore conspiracy to mess over the Alliance. It is balancing the zones. In vanilla Alliance had a clear zone number advantage against the horde that was fixed sort of with Cata. The zone advantage in Vanilla for horde vs alliance was 8 to 13 or something, I can't recall the exact number but zone for zone Alliance way more exclusive zones than horde back then. Humans alone had what Westfall, Redridge, and Duskwood. Giving Hillsbrad to the Horde was more to balance the number of zones of horde vs alliance than anything. Silverpine was always Horde property to begin with.

Silverpine was a Horde zone, but it wasn't solely Horde property. There were a number of human villages that still claimed loyalty to the Alliance(the one village next to SFK as an example) and Ambermill, which was Kirin Tor territory.

Logically speaking, the Kirin Tor should have a major problem with this, but I don't anticipate that the Developers will have the Kirin Tor do anything except write a stern letter to Garrosh.

Unless they can look at a map and count...3 Horde bases and 3 Alliance bases..it doesn't matter.

Unless the town they took is the same size as the one Horde sacked...it doesn't matter.

Unless Blizzard stopped the Thrall story right in the middle of it and changed to an Alliance story.....It doesn't matter.

Personally I think it's silly that people are expecting perfect symmetry in story telling.

No one's expecting symmetry, but an entire expansion(including the last half of LK) with no retaliation isn't rational or even the slightest bit balanced.

An entire expansion and a half with 'one' major victory...Compared against five major Horde victories(Gilneas, Ashenvale, Hillsbrad, Andorhol, Broken Front(Icecrown)).

And with 5.0, that single victory in the Southern Barrens was tainted with genocidal murder and will be completely undone by the burning of Theramore.

Horde did not win Gilneas or Ashenvale why do people keep repeating this crap without understanding it didn't happen. Horde lost Gilneas and Ashenvale is a stalemate just like it was before in vanilla. It is just this time Horde have a more even split of the zone than there was in Vanilla and even that split is pushed back by the Alliance counter attack from their version of the quests.

If people are going to blame crazy genocidal actions as not being a full win than the Horde didn't win in Stonetalon either since an entire Tauren village was slaughtered by the demented general in charge of the zone along with the Druid tree getting nuked.
10/28/2011 12:07 PMPosted by Infernastorm

Silverpine was a Horde zone, but it wasn't solely Horde property. There were a number of human villages that still claimed loyalty to the Alliance(the one village next to SFK as an example) and Ambermill, which was Kirin Tor territory.

Logically speaking, the Kirin Tor should have a major problem with this, but I don't anticipate that the Developers will have the Kirin Tor do anything except write a stern letter to Garrosh.

I'm talking for the purposes of questing Silverpine was a horde zone. The village next to SFK was not Alliance it was controlled by the dude in SFK at the time and in the old quests for the zone the villagers all transformed into worgen. The people in Ambermill are no longer associated with the kirin tor. They bascially rebelled against the actions of the Kirin Tor and are basically on their own as a result which is why the one holding up the barrier is refered to as the former archmage.

No one expects the symmetry to be equal i.e. quantity. But they do expect a quality of content to be equal. The horde was delivered quality the alliance was delivered pop references, stories with no end/conclusion/resolution, and a very jagged questing experience.

Horde did not win Gilneas or Ashenvale why do people keep repeating this crap without understanding it didn't happen. Horde lost Gilneas and Ashenvale is a stalemate just like it was before in vanilla. It is just this time Horde have a more even split of the zone than there was in Vanilla and even that split is pushed back by the Alliance counter attack from their version of the quests.

If people are going to blame crazy genocidal actions as not being a full win than the Horde didn't win in Stonetalon either since an entire Tauren village was slaughtered by the demented general in charge of the zone along with the Druid tree getting nuked.

except that demented general actually allowed all the women and children to escape by commanding his troops to make a path for them. "This war will never end if one side continues to slaughter civilians." -The supposed demented General you called him actually a far better person than anyone on the horde side.

except that demented general actually allowed all the women and children to escape by commanding his troops to make a path for them. "This war will never end if one side continues to slaughter civilians." -The supposed demented General you called him actually a far better person than anyone on the horde side.

I said Stonetalon not Southern Barrens. The horde general in that zone was demented. He slaughtered a whole Tauren village after they tried to oppose him nuking the druid tree, which is why Garrosh threw him off a cliff.
Okay, this topic is starting to head back towards "Where Blizzard wants to take the story" and "fairness," so I'll quote some of my previous posts on the topic. Some were in response to someone else.

I like how everyone here is discussing the morale of the Alliance players and losing battle after battle as if any of that matters compared to the worst thing that happened to the Alliance in Cataclysm. Hell, if it wasn't for the Alliance getting defeated in Cata, we would have had no decent quests in the entire expansion. The Horde attacking inadvertently gave us decent story telling because it was leftovers of story written for the Horde while everything else is just rushed content to get Cataclysm out before Christmas.

Our. Content. Was. Not. Finished.

Who the hell CARES about who's winning this war when we can't even have our 1-60 experience finished? They're never going to finish it either. You know why? Because they're going back to annual expansion releases. They can't devote the month or two it would take to actually put any work into Alliance content if they want to start releasing expansion packs on an annual basis.

Our 1-60 content didn't even come close to being finished. Quests come to complete dead ends for no apparent reason, ENTIRE ZONES worth of questing content was turned into pop-culture references and jokes because Blizzard didn't feel like doing any actual story telling for the Alliance. (Humans are officially more of a "joke race" than the Pandaren could ever hope to be) The gnomes don't even take Gnomeregan back for god's sake. Then they recycle so many of the same old quests, but in the process of streamlining them, they took the only interesting part out of those old quest lines. Did we even get any finished phasing?

"Gyran Stoutmantle, Sentinel Hill is under attack by the really terribly written New Defias! Our buildings are burning!"
"Go kill some of them, quick!"
"Okay, I'm back, but they're still coming and everything's on fire! What should we do!?"
"Uh... I dunno! Fly to Redridge and go help Rambo, FAST!"

Then we get to character development. Where was our character development that Vol'jin, Sylvanas and Garrosh received in their epic and actually finished quest lines? (I'm not even bringing THRALL into the picture) Like I said, quest lines that were actually taken seriously in places like Ashenvale were written as reactionary to Horde story that was written first. I'm glad we get serious quests when the Horde are involved, at least. Blizzard expects Alliance to pay a premium through novels and comics to actually get Alliance story and character progression.

Then we have the worgen... one of the main selling points of the Cataclysm expansion and... completely unfinished in all regards. Hell, they could barely even get finished models by Cata's launch. (Lol at the female model) The worgen's are completely unfinished. Not only are they thrown out of Gilneas and any and all future worgen content completely non-existent in-game, but their one single starting zone is rough. The story is fantastic, but the quests are barebones kill/collect quests. Not to mention that it could REALLY use some polishing. Getting annihilated by 10 worgen who STILL stayed aggroed to me after riding around on the horse is not fun. (Or the two other times it happened like when turning in a quest that happened to be near what seemed like a scripted fight between Gilneas holding back worgen at the end of an alley... only to have 5 out of nowhere just run through them and kill me)

The thing is... Blizzard can not make up for any of this by dog piling it all in time for MoP. These are our permanent 1-60 zones. This is where a new player finds out who his race is and what their place is in the world. They NEED to fix this in Cataclysm content, not in freaking Pandaria. Not to mention, this whole "High King Varian" thing seems like a really easy way to not have to actually do work for each race within the Alliance in MoP.

Another issue is that a number of Alliance races have absolutely no idea there's even a war going on. They don't get to fight the Horde anywhere until they hit their mid 30's and even then it's a maybe depending on where they choose to level. The Shattered Hand are in Westfall. There's your chance for an introduction to the war with the Horde. The dwarves/gnomes have plenty of potential areas for fighting with the Horde. Of course, they didn't even finish any of these zones, so expecting to add a new Horde related story line to them is probably not going to happen.

Then we get to small stuff like zero new architecture or armor on NPCs. Why are some of the actual new quest hubs nothing but pre-vanilla tents around a camp fire with NPCs wearing pre-vanilla human footman armor across from a new Horde fortress that looks like it was forged in Mount Doom?

Does anyone find it a bit insulting that Blizzard is actually taking the time to update a zone for the sole purpose of a Horde victory when they could have, but did not put those resources towards FINISHING Alliance zones? Or wiping zones clean and replacing the quests with actual story telling?

What is with all of these posts saying that the Alliance are finally going to "hit back" after Theramore?

How is that even possible? Cuchulainn has already touched on this when he brought up budgetary issues. Blizzard is NOT going to go back and update the 1-60 zones they just spent a year or two developing just to put some Alliance victories in, nor are they going to continuously do that in every future expansion.

Any Alliance victories will have to be done in expansion content that doesn't matter. Alliance wins in Pandaria, or the Emerald Dream or Outland 2.0, etc. The thing is... none of that has any significance compared to the primary Azeroth mainland. Nothing can compare to losing or gaining ground on Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms. You know, the lands where factions capitals, history, territory and story is located. Likewise, these continents have more meaning to not just in-game characters, but players as well. We will always be returning to our capitals throughout WoW's lifespan and we'll always care about what happens on Eastern Kingdoms and Kalimdor over some far away land/planet/dimension.

Some may bring up, "But Pandaria is about the resources! You get all the resources!" Yeah, like we'd ever put any of it to use and MoP's story sounds like it isn't going to end that way, anyways.

And none of this even TOUCHES on why Theramore being destroyed is even necessary to finally rally the Alliance. First off, they already look pretty rallied to me. You know, with this whole full scale war thing going on in multiple zones and all. Then it brings up the question... Why isn't the Alliance already angry over Gilneas, Hillsbrad and Ashenvale? That right there covers three races. Humans, worgen and night elves have EVERY reason to already be pissed and ready to ramp up for Varian's High King quests. The dwarves and gnomes would naturally follow without needing a personal loss on their end. Then we get to the Draenei. How exactly does Theramore make the Draenei want to finally join the war? Why would that effect them any more than say the other three places I mentioned? It just doesn't make any sense. Lastly, Blizzard already redistributed the leveling zones where most of our losses came from. Why do they need to take Theramore now, too?

Please just drop trying to sell that theme of "Theramore will unite the Alliance to a power not seen since Warcraft II!"

The problem is that it's the set up for a bad story. The more momentum they impart the Horde the less realistic it's going to be when they get stopped, and they will get stopped. If they do something really stupid, like letting internal friction between Horde leaders be what stops it, then the Alliance is permanently emasculated. If the Alliance gets its !@#$ together and turns the tables on the Horde militarily, then you wind up with an Alliance juggernaut that looks even more unstoppable than the Horde does now, and Blizzard needs to come up with something even more idiotic to save the Horde. Because we all KNOW that no is going to decisively win this conflict, so it's stupid to push the stakes that high.

While most people would agree with this, you're forgetting that the Alliance CAN NOT strike back at all. Not on Kalimdor or Eastern Kingdoms, anyways.

Blizzard is not going to go back and update any 1-60 zones that they just spent a year or two developing. It's unrealistic to expect them to do that with MoP or to continually update those zones to reflect Alliance and Horde battling. Not to mention that a lot of the Alliance getting annihilated with no story on the Alliance side what so ever explaining anything that happened is because Blizzard wanted to redistribute the leveling zones to even out the leveling paths. (No, I have no idea how that explains Theramore, which is a big part of the anger in this thread, though some Horde posters will tell you it's because the Horde doesn't have an "extra city.")

That said, the Alliance can only strike back on Pandaria or other equally irrelevant places like the Emerald Dream, Outlands 2.0, Northrend 2.0 or some other planet/island/dimension that will cease to even matter once the following expansion is released.

THEN, we take into consideration that even if assuming the Alliance starts destroying the Horde in those places, you're correct in that Blizzard will have to turn the tide eventually to where the Horde is back to winning ALL THE WHILE the Horde still have annihilated the Alliance in the only place that matters which is mainland Azeroth. So the Alliance CAN NOT strike back in any meaningful and will always be perceived to be losing even if we won every battle for three expansions in a row on far away lands.

This whole "putting back the war in Warcraft" thing is set for fail from multiple angles, including the ones you listed. Nevermind how it's already led off by EXTREMELY convenient plot devices, (Saurfang staying in Northrend, Thrall going neutral, Jaina... I don't know but she's in the same boat as all Alliance leaders in Cata in that she may as well not exist and some IWIN button that explains every Horde victory), characters making illogical decisions and ANGRY CHARACTERS RAAAAAR.

I said Stonetalon not Southern Barrens. The horde general in that zone was demented. He slaughtered a whole Tauren village after they tried to oppose him nuking the druid tree, which is why Garrosh threw him off a cliff.

My mistake Sir carry on.
I'm wondering how they could have gone about starting the heated conflict in MoP and yet not make anyone upset.

I'm sure that if the Alliance had attacked a Horde settlement there would be a similar thread complaining about the Horde being made into victims, and how the Alliance were being made into antagonists.

And yet Horde pick 95% of the fights and have destoryed about a 1000 times more alliance things than alliance has of horde since the beginning of Warcraft... Horde claims to be noble and yet idolizes the heroes of the "old" Horde... Sorry but the Horde has never changed and are still evil but without the excuse of demonic corruption... Thrall was the only thing that gave their change of heart some kind of credibility but he left... The alliance doesn't really need anymore motivation to outright bulldoze the lot of them...

Horde....evil??? Really?? Lore noob gtfo
You have me all wrong if you think I'm qqing because we dont get the exact same wins as the horde I'm not, I'm complaining because the horde has been on the offensive this whole expansion and from lore stand point on the alliance they are doing nothing about it. I was horde till bc I love the horde, them taking things is great but so far on the alliance side from a lore stand point it's a weak faction they get their a** handed to them left and right in this expansion and don't respond to any of it. The fact that wogern get one tree in darn sucks compared to the goblins Teraforming an entire zone into a giant horde symbol. It would be nice to have some pride in the alliance but right now there isnt if you look at quests on our side.
10/28/2011 01:22 PMPosted by Kryven
You have me all wrong if you think I'm qqing because we dont get the exact same wins as the horde I'm not, I'm complaining because the horde has been on the offensive this whole expansion and from lore stand point on the alliance they are doing nothing about it. I was horde till bc I love the horde, them taking things is great but so far on the alliance side from a lore stand point it's a weak faction they get their a** handed to them left and right in this expansion and don't respond to any of it. The fact that wogern get one tree in darn sucks compared to the goblins Teraforming an entire zone into a giant horde symbol. It would be nice to have some pride in the alliance but right now there isnt if you look at quests on our side.

but havent you seen some of the awesome arguements as to why its this way?!?!? you have every man for himself (human racial), 2 weapon based racials and a bridge in AV. Oh and lets not forget you disarmed stonard (couldnt destroy it, horde has a portal there!) i cant wait to see theramore leveled, wait whats that? Alliance have a portal there and its perfectly fine if they lose it? BURN IT TO THE GROUND.