GM's in game

General Discussion
I know, or think I know that all the footage on YouTube showing GM's in game are from private illegal servers. However after viewing some of them I was wondering if they ever make or ever did make an appearance in game to strut their stuff?

I personally would enjoy seeing a GM in game once in a while.

During one of the first Ragnaros kills in vanilla a GM descended from the sky and watched. There were pictures posted, but this was ages ago.
I had a GM watch me once doing a quest that was bugged. But he remained invisible. ><
I had a GM watch me once doing a quest that was bugged. But he remained invisible. ><

Creepy....
IIRC there was a "GM appreciation day" I was absent that day but reports of GM coming into the light and playing with the players. Um one of which i hear was outside of IF and tossed every person into the air and having them float. Did it actually happen though? IDK
i had seen GMs alot back in my everquest days and since i started to play wow and eq at the same time, i always wanted to see a real gm in wow. but i dont think that will ever happen cause all they do now these days is send tells and do stuff behind closed doors.
I know, or think I know that all the footage on YouTube showing GM's in game are from private illegal servers. However after viewing some of them I was wondering if they ever make or ever did make an appearance in game to strut their stuff?

I personally would enjoy seeing a GM in game once in a while.

They usually don't show themselves unless absolutely necessary.
Back in old Stratholme, we had a flying dwarf follow us around to see what the bug was (gates would not open to Rivendare).

Upon resolution, the dwarf flew back up into the sky before leaving.

GMs will sometimes wreak havoc on beta realms and on the PTR, so a lot of that footage is legitimate.
They have hundreds on their customer support team, but even with so many GMs I don't think they'd have enough online at the same time to do something on every server at the same time.

I tend to chat with a few of them but I've never seen one in person (never really asked to though, but I am curious, I just know they're really busy =S).
10/26/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Adorelody

Back in Vanilla, it was not unheard of for a GM to manifest themselves.Now they are either remotely accessing players or 'invisible'.
A friend had a GM RP banish Tethys (sp? Big sea monster you hit with cannons for a Theramore quest. It was broken and just bobbing around in the water) back to the depths. From how she described it, I believe the GM actually materialised, this would've been late BC.

Same here. It was that quest in the Twilight Highlands with the wounded red dragons needed to be protected while they are mended. The menders were just chilling (making completing the quest impossible), so a GM watched me attempt the quest, then one by one, he deleted all the mobs and NPCs in the area so it was empty. A few moments later he put them back in (or they respawned.. couldn't tell). Not that exciting, I know, but that's my only experience with seeing a GM manipulate the game environment.
I had a GM chat with me in game for an issue I was having. I've seen those videos too, so I asked them some questions.

In the past, they could interact with players for fun (transforming them into a cat etc) but can not do so anymore.

They are not actually "in game". They have no character when they talk to you, I imagine all they see is text. They can see what your character sees if needed.

Without fail, if you ask for a joke you will get one. It will always be WoW related, and rarely be funny... Just kidding. Kinda.
10/26/2011 10:03 AMPosted by Katise
They are not actually "in game". They have no character when they talk to you, I imagine all they see is text. They can see what your character sees if needed.

An invisible character with capability to switch servers on command is more like it.