A better solution than the Great Item Squish

General Discussion
For those of you who don't know, Blizzard has recently noted that the stats on items in WoW have gotten a bit out of control, and thus the stats on future items will be way too high. They came up with two solutions for the future:

1.) Change the look from doing a 6,000,000 damage fireball to a hit that's called 6 Mega damage.

2.) "Squish" down the item curve, basically meaning that our current items will all have a lot less stats. This means less health/mana, and less damage.

I ask, well why don't they consider the 3rd more realistic option? Just don't go so crazy with increasing the numbers.

Why in MoP do we have to all of a sudden jump from doing 5k -10k hits, critting around 40k, to 6,000,000 damage?

I think we can all agree the jump in health on characters from WotLK to Cata was just absurd, from around 30k to 100k+. Is all that really necessary?

Blizz says that the reason the increase is so high is so that an 80 has no chance of doing 85 content. Which yes, if the stat increase is only by 3 points, then it would be a problem. But why not just double it? Why does it have to be at the rate of x10? (in their example for MoP gear in their official statement on this subject, they showed gear with 2000 to stats instead of what we have now which is 200 to a stat).

Theoretically if the stat jump only doubles, then it would take 10 lvl 85s to do a 5 man 90 dungeon (Which is obviously impossible even for the most elite).

How is this not the most realistic solution? Even in the jump from t11 to t12, my 85 feels like a brand new dps monster. Keep in mind the stats here only jumped by about 20-30(which is a 10% increase).

One final note; the way the hp and the dps is now, I really enjoy the functionality for 85 raiding. Thus an "Item Squish" would really mess things up.

So let's consider the third option. How about just a normal stat increase instead of some crazy x10 stat jump.
You also have to remember, every level you attain some stats will do less for you. 100 crit rating at level 90 will give you much less % overall than 100 rating at level 85.

Did you ever notice when you were leveling and say you hit 84, but you seemed to do more dps at 83 in the same gear? It is because many of your stats decreased.
I posted a similar topic here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3530354580

basically, I agree with you, go back to the type of stat increases/ilevel increases we saw on vanilla and bc gear
I don't think you quite understand the whole of what they're trying to accomplish. What they want to do is normalise the stat increases from 1 all the way to 90 on a more linear curve. There will be no large jumps in health/mana/damage/healing at any stage of the game. This affects all the NPCs as well as the players, so the game difficulty won't change at the current level you are at. What it does mean is that a 85 player won't be able to bulldoze level 80 content and level 90 content won't bulldoze the 85 player.

Have a look at the way stats work in the new 1-60 content, that's where we should be heading.
11/05/2011 12:30 AMPosted by Senpac
2.) "Squish" down the item curve, basically meaning that our current items will all have a lot less stats. This means less health/mana, and less damage.

Thats not at all what they said.

IT would mean "less" of those stats if there were some other stats to compare, but you are forgetting the other part of the "Squish" as in the rest of the wow world gets squished too.

So while you may THINK the stats are being lowered, it will be all relative to the lowering of the world around you.

Making the numbers smaller is a good thing when it comes to programming code.
I understand that the NPCs also get stat reduction as well. However that doesn't mean that the raiding style won't play differently. I'm used to and enjoy dealing 10k hits, 40k crits. Dealing 1k hits and 5k crits just won't feel the same.
11/05/2011 12:55 AMPosted by Elliora
and bc gear

No no no no no no, and no. We should never ever go back to BC gear.
The "3rd solution" needs to be a good one, because i'm not too keen on options 1 and 2.

A big squish will feel like a nerf. We both know it's all about percentages, but it still feels like we're losing something. Going from 20,000 hp to 120,000 made most players think "Wow, look at my health!". Dropping damage from a 30,000 crit to 2,000 will have people saying "Aww, you call that a crit!" Surprise and disapointment are different sides of the same coin, but in no way equal in fun.

The "mega-damage" will just be clunky, and is at best covering up the actual problem rather than addressing it. It's literally a bandaid.

As for my idea, space it out. If the only real way to fix this is to bail out some stats, don't just push them all overboard at once. They got the way they are progressively and I feel they should go back down the same, otherwise it's a big pill to swallow.
11/05/2011 04:43 AMPosted by Mashanna

Making the numbers smaller is a good thing when it comes to programming code.

Which Ghostcrawler would have been well aware of when he gave us the completely ridiculous health and mana increase in cata. If he can't come up with something better than this pile of crap then I hope they lose another 5mil subs after this pus goes live. Maybe then the shareholders will take it out on him and make him accountable for his many, many failings.

How can you lose "another" 5 mill subs when u have lost 5 mill yet. Brain hurtz WOOOOOSH
11/05/2011 12:30 AMPosted by Senpac
I ask, well why don't they consider the 3rd more realistic option? Just don't go so crazy with increasing the numbers.

they already said why. simply put they HAVE to make huge jumps to keep people upgrading their gear.

The numbers grew so much primarily because we wanted rewards to be compelling. Upgrading from a chestpiece that has 50 Strength into one that has 51 Strength is undeniably a DPS increase for the appropriate user, but it’s not a very exciting reward. Such negligible increases can drive players to do some weird things, such as skipping over tiers of gear or entire levels of content
11/05/2011 05:16 AMPosted by Kibbit

they already said why. simply put they HAVE to make huge jumps to keep people upgrading their gear.

The numbers grew so much primarily because we wanted rewards to be compelling. Upgrading from a chestpiece that has 50 Strength into one that has 51 Strength is undeniably a DPS increase for the appropriate user, but it’s not a very exciting reward. Such negligible increases can drive players to do some weird things, such as skipping over tiers of gear or entire levels of content

The whole point of this thread Kibbit is that they are taking it to the extreme.Only doubling the stats would create more then enough of a need to upgrade gear. Think about it. Theoretically that would mean 10 lvl 85s would be needed to do a 5 man 90 dungeon.

We don't need x10 to stats. Just x2.