Leveling up of companions

New Player Help and Guides
I'm totally new to Wow and purchased the Guardian Cub companion....how does he level up?
He doesn't.
Guardian Cubs are non-combat vanity pets. No need for them to level.
It doesn't. Companion pets (or vanity pets) don't do anything but look cute. They don't fight, they don't level up. They just follow you around.

However, it's been proposed that in the new expansion (Mysts of Pandaria) that there will be a separate combat system for vanity pets allow you to fight your pets against other player's pets. This new expansion won't be out for at least another year. And the pet battle system may not even be included.
11/07/2011 07:44 AMPosted by Selenic
Companion pets (or vanity pets) don't do anything but look cute. They don't fight, they don't level up. They just follow you around.

Some do have actions. My personal favorite is Mojo the love frog.
/kiss him and you turn into a pink lady frog whom he chases while making suggestive comments related to making little Mojo's.

the definitive companion pet site is
http://warcraftpets.com
Since you said you're new to WoW just know that there are several creatures people generally refer to as 'pets' in the game.

-Non combat pets- Also called 'vanity' or 'companion' pets. Any class can have a companion pet. The Guardian Cub is a companion pet. They don't level up or fight with you but some do have some funny emotes they do. You can normally only have one non-combat pet out at a time. If you are a class that has a combat pet you can have your combat pet and non-combat pet out at the same time.

-Combat pets- Combat pets can be controlled and normally have a few special abilities of their own. Combat pets CAN be damaged and killed by enemy players or NPC's.

Hunters of any spec can tame and use beasts to fight with them in combat. The hunter can control them and each has a few special talents.

Warlocks can summon different types of demons to fight with them in combat. The type of demon they use will vary based on the situation and their spec.

Unholy Death Knights can summon a permanent ghoul that acts as a combat pet.

Frost Mages can summon a water elemental that acts as a permanent combat pet.

Guardians- Guardians are temporary pets that will fight with you in combat. However, they normally can't be controlled like a permanent combat pet.

Paladins that are high level can summon a 'Guardian of Ancient Kings' that will help them heal or damage the enemy depending on their spec.

Blood and Frost Death Knights can still summon ghouls like Unholy Death Knights but their ghoul is temporary and can't be controlled as well as the Unholy combat pet ghoul.

Shaman and Warlocks have elementals and temporary 'Ebon Imp' demons they can summon from spells as well, and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.

There are many other guardian type 'pets' in the game. Many of them even come from trinkets, quest items, or friendly NPC's that accompany you on certain quests.

Hope that helps clear things up for different pet types in WoW.
Great post Titanwrath!
A lot of effort went into it.

Shaman and Warlocks have elementals and temporary 'Ebon Imp' demons they can summon from spells as well, and I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting.

I really hope to not sound douchebaggy in any way, i LOVE your post and you deserve an award for it. But theres just a couple of things you forgot as well:

Warlocks Can also summon a guardian demon as well through various spells, so they cna have their primary demon (permanent pet), their guardian demon (temporary) and their vanity pet as well. (i dont know if this has been or will be removed, but up to now i dont think they have been removed)

Balance druids can also summon temporary treants to aid them, they dont last very long (30 seconds) but they can summon three treants instead of just one pet. Druids can also only get this at a relatively high level.

Im just trying to help a little bit, i hope i dont sound like im trying to be mean or anything.
Right now, companions are just for show. In MoP, however, they will be able to level up through battles with other companions. Not sure if there's going to be any great rewards for doing so, but you'll probably be able to at least gain exp with them.
Great post Titanwrath!
A lot of effort went into it.

Ya, all that effort and he forgot the most important pet.

The priest's shadow fiend! Or as I like to call him, my Shnookums :-)
titanwrath mentioned some other "Guardian Pets"...here are a few examples...

-The Mechanical Dragonling and Mithril Mechanical Dragonling are both combat "pets" that are really trinkets, but they can fight for you for a limited amount of time with a cooldown (1 minute of combat, 5 min CD).

-Teldrassil Timberling-you can get a "Cleansed Timberling Heart" to summon a timberling to defend you. One time use, lasts 20 minutes or until killed. Quest in Teldrassil is called "Planting the Heart" and is part of a short low-level quest chain.

-1000 Needles item, "Horn of the Traitor" trinket which summons Cliffwatcher Longhorn to fight for you for 30 seconds.

-You can get the "Book of the Dead" as a drop in Strat which summons a non-controllable skeleton. Careful where you summon it as it can aggro whether you want it to or not!

-And finally (not the last one, there are many, but this one is a hoot!)...Gus' First Aid Kit (quest reward from the Tanaris quest "Gargantapid"). Using this trinket summons a Goblin nurse that performs a physical on you!

Have fun with items like these. Many "pet" trinkets are in-game and they are a lot of fun. Trinkets are one of my favorite features of all!

You also neglected to mention the mage's Mirror Image spell. Basically, three guardians up at once (or four if you have the proper glyph) who help with DPS and also grab aggro if you're working solo.
11/08/2011 05:57 AMPosted by Fanndis
-The Mechanical Dragonling and Mithril Mechanical Dragonling are both combat "pets" that are really trinkets, but they can fight for you for a limited amount of time with a cooldown (1 minute of combat, 5 min CD).

Nothing can compare with the Gnomish Battle Chicken!
titanwrath mentioned some other "Guardian Pets"...here are a few examples...

-Teldrassil Timberling-you can get a "Cleansed Timberling Heart" to summon a timberling to defend you. One time use, lasts 20 minutes or until killed. Quest in Teldrassil is called "Planting the Heart" and is part of a short low-level quest chain.

-1000 Needles item, "Horn of the Traitor" trinket which summons Cliffwatcher Longhorn to fight for you for 30 seconds.

-You can get the "Book of the Dead" as a drop in Strat which summons a non-controllable skeleton. Careful where you summon it as it can aggro whether you want it to or not!

-And finally (not the last one, there are many, but this one is a hoot!)...Gus' First Aid Kit (quest reward from the Tanaris quest "Gargantapid"). Using this trinket summons a Goblin nurse that performs a physical on you!

Have fun with items like these. Many "pet" trinkets are in-game and they are a lot of fun. Trinkets are one of my favorite features of all!

That 1000 needles one reminds me of those blasted cactuars from the final fantasy games lol