mass layoffs at blizz

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 12 Next
What don't you people understand about the rule of happiness? If your leisure (WoW) causes you to be unhappy and complain, why are playing it? Try basketball.
Its a sign of 2012!
So because WoW is "failing" they give the heave-ho to people working on Titan and Diablo 3.

Yeah. That reasoning sounds about on par for this community.

Even then, that isn't necessarily a bad thing. They had some major staff changes in the early WoW development as well. Diablo 3 was finished, trashed, and restarted as the game we almost have in our hands.

Blizzard is just a big target. People want to see it fail now. Anyways, have fun with your rumors. I'll be waiting eagerly for the figures Blizzard is going to be releasing in about five hours.

Their numbers will look fine because of the upcoming release of other titles, WoW may look a lot different than the rosey picture they will put out...

And yet for as easy as you say it is, you haven't done anything in those raids. You've only beaten BOT once, no Throne, no BWD, no FL.

And you only came back 'now'? After everything has been nerfed? And yet, you only enjoy Heroic Raid content that you haven't done?

lol

are you jealous that i have more achievement points than you? its cuz I do things like cooking.
I love how so many are claiming this is a direct result of Blizzard ignoring their "well thought out advice" and are spewing I told you so like it's going out of style.

This is Titan we're talking about, not WoW. And there are so many factors contributing to WoW's current state that you couldn't possibly claim your reason is the one that is the main factor.
It's Doomsday! God save the Queen! Abandon ship! AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

<resumes doing dailies>
11/08/2011 08:24 AMPosted by Radam
What don't you people understand about the rule of happiness? If your leisure (WoW) causes you to be unhappy and complain, why are playing it? Try basketball.

Some people's happiness can only come about as a result of other's misery. Sad by true.
11/08/2011 08:24 AMPosted by Scrimm
Can you explain further? How is it good to lose artistic geniuses?

Stagnation is a horrible, horrible thing. You want people in this type of company that are hungry, and have fresh ideas. You want people that come to you one day and say "I want to do my own thing, thank you for the chance to hone my craft."

Then you get in the next guy who is even better.

This goes from top to bottom, as well. This isn't a company that makes widgets to sell. They make art and art needs turnover, imho.

you think titan is paying for itself huh?

well, wow is paying for titan development. it's a big reason people who work on wow are working/were working on titan (the teams move around as needed)

And here we have the rule being proven.

If WoW is falling on its face, the WoW staff gets fired. Getting rid of Diablo 3 concept artists has zero effect on WoW. Zero.

you think titan is paying for itself huh?

well, wow is paying for titan development. it's a big reason people who work on wow are working/were working on titan (the teams move around as needed)

And here we have the rule being proven.

If WoW is falling on its face, the WoW staff gets fired. Getting rid of Diablo 3 concept artists has zero effect on WoW. Zero.

WOW is still bringing in money and has the potential to rebound. Titan is nothing but an expense at this phase in development.

And if the D3 concept artists are no longer needed, then that's money off the tab sheet. They can tap a non-project artist to cover the load on any additional D3 concept art because he knows if he doesn't keep up, he can be canned too. It's the way of corporate America. If you don't like it, you can be unemployed like the rest. Now take your slave labor with a smile.
11/08/2011 08:24 AMPosted by Scrimm

Which is normal. And good for them. Blizzard was once an upstart company. People seem to forget this.

Can you explain further? How is it good to lose artistic geniuses?

Considering one of those companies has failed miserably (Flagship Studios)? It isn't good or bad. A genius is only as good as one or two parts of something.

You may have the best CPU, GPU and screen of a computer, but if your keyboard causes your fingers to bleed by looking at it and your battery life is 10 minutes (while even plugged in) those good traits don't matter.

Pre-Launch Hellgate was said to be the true D3. The best minds and the real creators of Diablo 2 were behind it. It bombed.
If you think Blizzard is tanking, just look at all the positions they're hiring for, INCLUDING Titan. Geez, people on the internet don't use their brain.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/directory.html#region=Americas
If you think Blizzard is tanking, just look at all the positions they're hiring for, INCLUDING Titan. Geez, people on the internet don't use their brain.

<a href="http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/directory.html#region=Americas" class="bml-link-public">http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/directory.html#region=Americas</a>

I'm not saying it's tanking, but just because the positions are still up on their hiring page doesn't mean HR hasn't been slow to take it down because they're dealing with the nightmare that is layoffs right now.