About Zygor....

Customer Support
I am back , I have one question about Dugi .. I tried to find about Dugi information this forums as I did posted about Zygor.. I don't see or cant find more information about Dugi on this Forums , I always see mostly Zygor informations , Why not Dugi Guide ?

Diz
Yes charging for access to addons is against Blizzard's UI Policy :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.

All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

In this case Pah above is correct. They don't charge you for access to the addon. They don't have premium versions with for-pay features , charge you to download it , charge for services related for the addon or make you pay to download or access the addon.

But they do charge you for the data sets the addon uses.

What's funny is Zygor is technically a version of Tour Guide which Tekkub has sold all rights to Zygor for :

http://tekkub.net/2010/02/17/zygor.html

AFAIK the data set's are obsurcurated in any way as the policy prevents them from doing so.

As for banned for it ?

Blizzard would be looking into contacting the developers of said addon if they had concerns about it. When the policy come out Blizzard were very quick about contacting authors to ensure their addons were following said policy.

If they had concerns about what an addon was doing they've long had the ability to ban that addon from loading until such time as they could push out a patch that stops that addon from working altogether.

The fact that Zygor's had their for-pay guides since around the end of 2010 and has yet to be banned says a lot for wheter it's allowed or not. Look at how fast they jumped on the recent LFR exploits.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Ok , Is there no safe to use Zygor and Dugi and Xrelated addon for World Of Warcraft, is that correct ? also I have found something called WOW PRO leveling addon is allowed to use on wow ?

Diz
Ok , Is there no safe to use Zygor and Dugi and Xrelated addon for World Of Warcraft, is that correct ? also I have found something called WOW PRO leveling addon is allowed to use on wow ?

Diz

where are you getting this information from lol.. A BLUE post said Zygor is safe to use.. as did multiple people on this thread. If you want to pay for Zygor, go ahead and pay and use it. I think what most people are saying is that, although Zygor is safe, you are better off finding an addon that is completely free so you can save yourself some money and pay for another 3 months of game time.
Lol , Well , I just wanted to make sure that I dont want to see my account get banned out against the Blizzard with ToS , That's why I asked and anxious about ask too much for this , ha ... I just researched thru website to find which the better more safe to use leveling addon on WoW without no bans my lover's account.... so far , If someone said it is safe , then I buy Zygor to use , get bans , not want to hear about fool like April fool day to get me bans my account on WoW =P

Diz
You can't violate the ToS by using an addon that does not automate gameplay, if its just pointing out where you should go and do then its fine. Even if YOU pay for an addon its not your fault.

Blizzard doesn't want to ban you for using addon, it wants to make sure you get your addons for free and does everything it can with in the law to help you get your addons for free. It's on YOUR side here.

The rules against guides that make you pay for them are not to ban YOU they are there to stop people from making addons that let the people buying them get an advantage. Unless you are making an addon and selling it for cash I wouldn't worry about that particular section of the TOS.

I think CS could back me up when I say that this rule is only there to try to put a stop to the SELLERS, not the users.
Wow-Pro Works and is free. It seems to work better than zygor with the new quest chains when leveling because some quest chains need certain quests completed to continue on and zygor tends to skip those. Make sure if you get Wow-pro you get the full version and not the version on curse. And also have Tom Tom Installed as it shows you where to go along with the wow pro guide.
I've used Zygor since mid-Wrath, and I know it's been around much longer than that.

Way back in the early days (vanilla/BC) they started out as written guides in PDF format that you had to alt-tab out of the game to read. Now they are plain text guides which are still readable in Notepad (you're expected to pay for these, though as Pahanda noted those with sufficient motivation might not actually do so) along with an in-game addon (which you can still get for free) which puts the guides in an in-game window, makes the quest items clickable, puts up a waypoint arrow, figures out when you've outleveled the zone, etc.

As far as I know it's not against Blizzard's terms of service to sell guides. If it were, there would be a lot fewer of them out there. :) So it's an interesting setup; the addon is technically free, you are paying for the guide.

I've also seen WoW-Pro though I haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I will likely do so on my next leveling project. Though one of the things I like about Zygor is that it doesn't have any dependencies on external addons.
Again from my time hanging around the UI & Macros community ....

Blizzard usually don't go after the users of an addon.

They go after the people that make that addon and either the addon from loading altogether or they change the API in such a way so it breaks the addon.

12/06/2011 09:36 AMPosted by Karnifex
The rules against guides that make you pay for them are not to ban YOU they are there to stop people from making addons that let the people buying them get an advantage.

Advantage ?

This makes no sense.

There is no special "for paid users of addons" API. It's all the same API.

So if an for-paid addon offered players any form of advantage there's a whole raft full of clever addon authors in the addon community who would simply replicate it and give it away for free.

Also by the same policy an addon maker can not obscurate their code at all. So if an addon were giving someone an advantage someone can look at the code , figure out they're doing it and just make a free one.

My apologies to the OP but I just had to clear up this one little confusion here.

Yes charging for access to addons is against Blizzard's UI Policy :

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1021053914

1) Add-ons must be free of charge.

All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.

In this case Pah above is correct. They don't charge you for access to the addon. They don't have premium versions with for-pay features , charge you to download it , charge for services related for the addon or make you pay to download or access the addon.

But they do charge you for the data sets the addon uses.

What's funny is Zygor is technically a version of Tour Guide which Tekkub has sold all rights to Zygor for :

http://tekkub.net/2010/02/17/zygor.html

AFAIK the data set's are obsurcurated in any way as the policy prevents them from doing so.

As for banned for it ?

Blizzard would be looking into contacting the developers of said addon if they had concerns about it. When the policy come out Blizzard were very quick about contacting authors to ensure their addons were following said policy.

If they had concerns about what an addon was doing they've long had the ability to ban that addon from loading until such time as they could push out a patch that stops that addon from working altogether.

The fact that Zygor's had their for-pay guides since around the end of 2010 and has yet to be banned says a lot for wheter it's allowed or not. Look at how fast they jumped on the recent LFR exploits.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Sorry not digging old threads up over posting related information after being pointed here.

""All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.""

And from one line in particular I'll note. "charge for services related to the add-on". Wouldn't that fall under charging for the data connected to the add-on? As in a guide, the data is the service related to the add-on. Odd how Blizzard upholds its rule partially but not in full. It still under Blizzards new rule should not be allowed.
08/20/2012 12:40 AMPosted by Xaethera
Sorry not digging old threads

Probably can keep it to one thread. You can quote from this thread in your thread if you want to use somehting, but it's confusing to have two threads going.
Sorry not digging old threads up over posting related information after being pointed here.

""All add-ons must be distributed free of charge. Developers may not create "premium" versions of add-ons with additional for-pay features, charge money to download an add-on, charge for services related to the add-on, or otherwise require some form of monetary compensation to download or access an add-on.""

And from one line in particular I'll note. "charge for services related to the add-on". Wouldn't that fall under charging for the data connected to the add-on? As in a guide, the data is the service related to the add-on. Odd how Blizzard upholds its rule partially but not in full. It still under Blizzards new rule should not be allowed.

What was the point of bumping up a year old thread?

Zygor as an add-on is 100% within the rules, if it wasn't, then the add-on would not work.